Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 6MT Grey Interior
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's whats inside: recycled wire (3mm gauge), glue taped 1mm cardboard sandwich, 2mm shaped recycled foam "buns", and folded and heat pressed 1mm vinyl.

With options like GoPro Camera mounts, LED dome lights (then use the Fiat center dome light for so many other premium options), or even fitting a modular visor system like Terraflex's for the Jeep Wranglers, these are going into my recycling bins. Any ideas that would improve the 4c?
I'm torn between gopro/camera mounts for awesome track footage that will have gopro-mount visors for when in daily mode, or LED "dome lights" and use the center as a power-cable and mounting point for gopros, the mic, and dash cam... Or bolt in a clean, small Garmin.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Are you asking what to use for front mounting a camera? If so, on my cars I typically mount a female GoPro base to the windshield behind/close to the rearview mirror. This allows my to slide whatever (male GoPro mount, 1/4 converter mount, etc) with accessory (GoPro/Insta360/radar etc). For power, I have run from the cig lighter a usb extension up the passenger A pillars just hanging out behind the mirror. I then tap into that power with a short (4-6 inch) whatever cord (USB-usbC, USB-lightning, etc) to the device.
Hope that makes sense.....or maybe I did not understand the question at all, not the first time, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,795 Posts
Don’t touch ‘em. Use a windscreen suction mount and for a sun visor, wear a cap and sunglasses. Easy. It’s there simply for regulation and lightness. You just have to accept the compromises of the philosophy and adapt to it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Given that the warranty car and services book for my 1975 Dino 308 GT4 regularly trade in the three to four figure range, while I might take them off I wouldn't throw them away. I'd store them very carefully and keep them with the car. 20+ years from now things like that will be very valuable to a collector.

·
Super Moderator
14,713 Posts
I use them all the time.
Granted, they are not like the 747 flaps that my truck comes with, but the windshield is a lot smaller and I sit much closer to the 4C's glass
Anything bigger would obscure my view of the road.

One thing to consider with the GoPro mount idea for the track is that if you don't disable the airbags, will they hit the mount and perhaps turn the camera into a projectile? Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I actually removed my driver side visor, and just covered the holes back up with the mounting panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 6MT Grey Interior
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm going with a racing style tint "banner" for the top (maybe some matte/gloss contrast Latin "Dulce Periculum" haha) and drilling the OEM plastic mounts to accept dim (in FL, mosquitos are stupid so the alternative was to keep the econocar plastic dome bubble tilted off) LED's from superbrightleds.com tapped into the dome light, and toss the dome light and 3D print some overbuilt and centered camera mount for the track days... Or one of those wide and segmented race car blued rear views so I can focus my exterior mirrors downward to see the rear wheel placement, also for that millimeter perfect parallel park haha.
The LED's are on the way:

I'm also toying with the idea of acrylic Triangles, offset spacers, and permanent gluing QV emblems to make illuminating QV's... Thoughts?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I removed mine a few months ago, left them in a storage bin. I’m tall so they only get in the way. I haven’t even covered the holes yet although I probably ought to figure something out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I removed mine a few months ago, left them in a storage bin. I’m tall so they only get in the way. I haven’t even covered the holes yet although I probably ought to figure something out.
You can pass through LED's from the dome and use the dome as a sunglasses clip location, make a few plaques, or blank them out with some lucky QV's. The racing style banner (92% tint) actually works perfect, can see stoplights and signs, even at night... I wonder why sports cars dont come standard like this since not I dont have lack of/useless shades that a single road angle or turn would flash the FL sun right into my eyes. The permanent banner (I did 7" from TDC of the windscreen, it curves so I kept it parallel to A-Pillar shape - looks great) puzzle pieces perfect with the horizon at my height in the car.

·
Super Moderator
14,713 Posts
You can pass through LED's from the dome and use the dome as a sunglasses clip location, make a few plaques, or blank them out with some lucky QV's. The racing style banner (92% tint) actually works perfect, can see stoplights and signs, even at night... I wonder why sports cars dont come standard like this since not I dont have lack of/useless shades that a single road angle or turn would flash the FL sun right into my eyes. The permanent banner (I did 7" from TDC of the windscreen, it curves so I kept it parallel to A-Pillar shape - looks great) puzzle pieces perfect with the horizon at my height in the car.
Probably a regional thing, but a friend of mine up here was pulled over for that type of banner the day after he installed it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably a regional thing, but a friend of mine up here was pulled over for that type of banner the day after he installed it.
I really can't wait for this generation of cop/DOT regulations to die out (will EV's or autonomous do this?) So these outdated, ridiculous laws get phased out or even ignored/unknown. I bet your region has an actual law that forbids riding an ostrich on public roads or something like that... Total waste of enforcement effort. How is a non-offensive banner "illegal"? On the other hand, it must be perfectly legal for a coal roller to cruise adjacent to outdoor cafes. Stupid.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,063 Posts
I really can't wait for this generation of cop/DOT regulations to die out (will EV's or autonomous do this?) So these outdated, ridiculous laws get phased out or even ignored/unknown. I bet your region has an actual law that forbids riding an ostrich on public roads or something like that... Total waste of enforcement effort. How is a non-offensive banner "illegal"? On the other hand, it must be perfectly legal for a coal roller to cruise adjacent to outdoor cafes. Stupid.
Agreed......most of these ridiculous laws were put in place to deal with some minor complaint and than it was often an over reaction. Not sure about the banner on the front window....have to check local laws. But here it is illegal to put tints on windows greater than a certain percentage...that one I agree with. Just like the ones about the volume of car stereos. That used to be the "thing" when I lived in California.....put in a sound system that would rattle the house windows with sub woofers when you drove by. The laws addressed that....but the bottom line...if people used common sense and respect for others those laws wouldn't be needed. Sadly, once a law goes into action it is next to impossible to change it.

·
Super Moderator
14,713 Posts
Agreed......most of these ridiculous laws were put in place to deal with some minor complaint and than it was often an over reaction. Not sure about the banner on the front window....have to check local laws. But here it is illegal to put tints on windows greater than a certain percentage...that one I agree with. Just like the ones about the volume of car stereos. That used to be the "thing" when I lived in California.....put in a sound system that would rattle the house windows with sub woofers when you drove by. The laws addressed that....but the bottom line...if people used common sense and respect for others those laws wouldn't be needed. Sadly, once a law goes into action it is next to impossible to change it.
Yes, I believe the charge was due to tint on the front windshield, which is not legal here. It was a quite dark banner, and went down the windshield a fair ways.

Oddly, we don’t have many ostriches on the streets, though. :D

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,063 Posts
Yes, I believe the charge was due to tint on the front windshield, which is not legal here. It was a quite dark banner, and went down the windshield a fair ways.

Oddly, we don’t have many ostriches on the streets, though. :D
Or kangaroos like where our fellow Super Moderator lives. I have always wondered how much of a hazard they are "down under" to cars. I have heard about Australian trucks that put roo guards on the front...basically train rails I beams as bumpers. Here in Michigan we worry about deer .... lots of deer/car collisions in Fall season. In some parts of the US and Canada it is a moose/car hazard. As large as a moose is I suspect if a 4C hit one it wouldn't be pretty for the moose or 4C 🤬 I suppose if a kangaroo got hit by a 4C it would be hopping mad.

·
Super Moderator
6,795 Posts
Or kangaroos like where our fellow Super Moderator lives. I have always wondered how much of a hazard they are "down under" to cars. I have heard about Australian trucks that put roo guards on the front...basically train rails I beams as bumpers. Here in Michigan we worry about deer .... lots of deer/car collisions in Fall season. In some parts of the US and Canada it is a moose/car hazard. As large as a moose is I suspect if a 4C hit one it wouldn't be pretty for the moose or 4C 🤬 I suppose if a kangaroo got hit by a 4C it would be hopping mad.
If you’re lucky, like alfa1105 you can time it so the roo headbutts the wheel of your 4C rather than the bodywork. Any frontal collision is likely to be fatal, not only for the roo.
Up the Putty about 6 months ago (just before the fires), a regular to Grey Gums was killed when she hit a deer on her bike. Thankfully, the fires seemed to rid the bush of deer. The roos survived. Better bush smarts, so still need to be wary.

·
Super Moderator
14,713 Posts
...Here in Michigan we worry about deer .... .
I read this at 5am.

And then very nearly got taken out by a deer ON MY OWN DRIVEWAY on the way to work this morning.

Based on this thread, I'm expecting to come across a head-butting contest between a roo and ostrich on the way home tonight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts