Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I have been a part of other car forums/communities where a centralized repository of 1/4 mile results is maintained. The purpose of this is multifaceted; however, at its core, it allows individuals to compare their performance to that of others, be it stock, modded, or any other dimension. This can also be a valuable tool for those considering a given mod as it can serve as a real world indicator of how that part will impact the car.

The 4C is by no means a drag car but taking your car to the strip can be fun and, well, why not?

I have put together a brief table showing the information I have seen to date. If others have additional info (time sheets, etc.) please feel free to post them and I can update the chart.

This was just a thought. If people aren't into it, I won't update it but I thought it could be a fun resource for the community.

Note that there are 3 categories: magazine times; verified (time sheet attached) times and unverified or telemetrically (e.g. racelogic) obtained times. I am open to suggestions if others feel this could be better configured. Also SAE J1349 corrections are done where there is sufficient data so we can ensure comparability between sources and locations. This will not account for driver skill, though.

Note: the table above is an image and will not let you click the links. To see this in excel and have full access to the links, CLICK HERE

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Subscribing.
The table should probably be done the same way Foleydb does his tables.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subscribing.
The table should probably be done the same way Foleydb does his tables.
Admittedly, I envisioned exactly that. If, and it's a big if, this takes off, we could keep an image here for quick reference but I could periodically send FoleyDB the underlying file and he could add it to the 4C excel file he maintains.

Not worth arranging that yet though, first order of business will be to see if this is something that interests the community.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I've sent a PM to John4C about this, and you should all see something shortly. There's a new folder on the 4C Cloud for this, but it's empty right now, so standby for updates.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Admittedly, I envisioned exactly that. If, and it's a big if, this takes off, we could keep an image here for quick reference but I could periodically send FoleyDB the underlying file and he could add it to the 4C excel file he maintains.

Not worth arranging that yet though, first order of business will be to see if this is something that interests the community.
Definitely good information to have (and kind of fun to compare, as it grows, too). It's great that foleydb volunteers so much of his time to keep these things updated for us all!

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've sent a PM to John4C about this, and you should all see something shortly. There's a new folder on the 4C Cloud for this, but it's empty right now, so standby for updates.
foleydb is amazing as always. The first post should now be updated with a link to the file on the 4C cloud. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely good information to have (and kind of fun to compare, as it grows, too). It's great that foleydb volunteers so much of his time to keep these things updated for us all!
No argument on foleydb's commitment to the community :grin2:

I'll be keeping this updated, though :wink2:

That said, if anyone has additional data points, please post time slips featuring date/time/track in this thread.

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks to John for putting this together.

I think there should be more specific tire data. For example just listing "tires" as a mod can mean a lot of things. There is a big difference between drag slicks and all season rain tires. CallMeAl's mods include tires, but they are 300 tread wear tires, not sticky race type tires.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I think there should be more specific tire data. For example just listing "tires" as a mod can mean a lot of things. There is a big difference between drag slicks and all season rain tires. CallMeAl's mods include tires, but they are 300 tread wear tires, not sticky race type tires.

Greg
Greg, I agree. If it were a slick or semi-slick tire I would have noted it as such (as that makes a huge difference). I will clarify when I update this again but that was meant to indicate a street wheel/tire combo.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why can I no longer edit the first post? I want to be able to update the table when we get new information. Is this something that can be enabled?

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Why can I no longer edit the first post? I want to be able to update the table when we get new information. Is this something that can be enabled?
John4C, the forum software is set up to give members 500 minutes (or some similar silly amount of time) in which to edit their post, after which it is "permanent".

We don't have the power to override this. However, moderators do have the ability to edit posts beyond this time period.

For the purpose of this thread, your moderators will be happy to make changes to the first post. I'd suggest that you post here with that request, and we'll cut and paste it (or PM one of us with what needs to change).

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
John4C, the forum software is set up to give members 500 minutes (or some similar silly amount of time) in which to edit their post, after which it is "permanent".

We don't have the power to override this. However, moderators do have the ability to edit posts beyond this time period.

For the purpose of this thread, your moderators will be happy to make changes to the first post. I'd suggest that you post here with that request, and we'll cut and paste it (or PM one of us with what needs to change).
Sounds good. No update right now, just thinking ahead :wink2:

Thanks again :grin2:

With that said, if anyone has run their car at a drag strip, or recorded a time using one of the many telemetric tools available. Please PM me or post in this thread. I have seen rumblings of members who have done this so I hope we can capture more of the data that may currently exist.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts

I speak for myself, but there are probably many others that read the forum the way I do, as it's the easiest way.

I go straight to the first unread message. I seldom re-read the first post or any other post. I'll probably never see the changes unless it's a new post.

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
I speak for myself, but there are probably many others that read the forum the way I do, as it's the easiest way.

I go straight to the first unread message. I seldom re-read the first post or any other post. I'll probably never see the changes unless it's a new post.
I think it is done for people who may refer to older threads sometime in the future. Especially new members who would not have the advantage of participating in the discussion when those pages were current. It makes it very hard to follow a discussion when the posts and references keep changing or disappearing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Iv'e never seen a forum use (corrected 1/4 mile times before) the correction factor is a bit of a shell game and only truly applicable to naturally aspirated cars.

Most forced induction applications, specifically turbocharged, 1/2 the correction factor is used in the NHRA. I'm not sure if you guys are doing that.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Iv'e never seen a forum use (corrected 1/4 mile times before) the correction factor is a bit of a shell game and only truly applicable to naturally aspirated cars.

Most forced induction applications, specifically turbocharged, 1/2 the correction factor is used in the NHRA. I'm not sure if you guys are doing that.
I am using the correction factor for turbocharged applications (NHRA methodology). You're right in that it is much less than it would be if the car were NA.

I wanted to present both (raw and corrected) because inevitably this will become a discussion around temp and altitude so hopefully the correction addresses that to a degree.

Another factor that will matter is octane used, so when more data comes in I will endeavor to add that as well. We wont get this for the magazine times but for users we should be able to figure it out (e.g. CallMeAl is 91 whereas BarthVader is 93).

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I agree at it pertains to most threads; however, in a database or FAQ type thread I think the key info should always be kept up front for ease of use. The updates will likely get posted at the end anyways and then a mod will update the first post, so we will really have both.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Greg
+1

It's amazing the difference between slicks and street tires. What usually hampers most street cars is the wetting down the staging area. The street tires don't heat up the way slicks do. So it basically just keeps your tire damp or wet for take off. The stock Pirelli's are not that great for drag times.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts