Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

321 - 340 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
These are all very good points. This is one of the trade-offs with an open element filter style intake system. When you are sitting still and at idle, temperatures will rise to a certain delta over the ambient temps. However, the filter is still somewhat outside of the engine bay behind the passenger door ducting inlet. Some of the better trade offs with this placement are pressure increases in this compartment, and a high volume of lower temp air movement. The temperatures will drop once the car is moving, and deliver better throttle response and intake flow. But as I said, there are always tradeoffs with an open element style system. Luckily the filter is not taking air from the turbo manifold cooling duct, as much of that piping is in the engine bay, and does heat up significantly.

Ideally, it has always been my goal to finish a V4 style intake (like some of our other models for other cars), but other projects have taken priority over this. The car is apart with the intercooler kit being finished, and then it will go on the dyno for P3 tuning. I will be able to use our probe from the dyno to log IATs directly in the intake pipe, and anywhere else. Our initial testing was done with a NordSkog system directly from the intake. This was a while ago, and I don't remember the exact deltas but they were improved overall against the stock system without any significant heatsoak, but I think there is still room for some improvement.

The intercooler will help significantly with temperature, but depending on how the intake performs temperature wise with excessive runs and not much frontal air movement, I may finish an enclosed intake system that takes air directly from the front of the ducting. We will see.
Thanks a lot for the reply - i love manufacturers that communicate with the end users and provide info.
I understand you're saying that YES the system can be improved but still as long as the car moving the IAT is not worse than with the stock air box.

Is this correct summary?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply - i love manufacturers that communicate with the end users and provide info.
I understand you're saying that YES the system can be improved but still as long as the car moving the IAT is not worse than with the stock air box.

Is this correct summary?
No problem, and yes that is correct. If it did not show any improvement than there would have been no real point to it except to make noise.

I will see if I can find the original temp data. If not then I will be sure to log new data once I get the car on the dyno.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Installed the v2 about 10 days ago and it is so freaking loud!

Finally understand why Alfa bothered designing the stock air box the way it is, in order to tune a desire turbo whistle, which most people would like.

The turbo sound insane now and it is crazy how I can't really hear the stock sport exhaust when it start building boost!

·
Registered
735 Posts
What sounds like it's time to change out that stock exhaust so we can be louder toO! Might I recommend the magna flow Corsa exhaust.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Few things in my life had me grinning from ear to ear within seconds of experiencing it...

1. My first drive - and my first gear change - in a 4C
2. Something that would get me banned from this forum
3. The first 50 ft after briskly leaving the shop that just installed my new EC V2 intake

OMG this thing is a riot!

If you like noise, get one. That’s my review.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Few things in my life had me grinning from ear to ear within seconds of experiencing it...

1. My first drive - and my first gear change - in a 4C
2. Something that would get me banned from this forum
3. The first 50 ft after briskly leaving the shop that just installed my new EC V2 intake

OMG this thing is a riot!

If you like noise, get one. That’s my review.
I’ll second this. I originally just got the v1 because my 4C is my DD and I was a little worried about it just being too loud to enjoy in that capacity, but then I took the chance and upgraded to v2. Should have just started there. I mean, yes, it’s significantly louder, but the sound is soooo intoxicating. It sounds like a freakin spaceship when you punch it. Passengers always comment. I think it makes them even more acutely aware that this is basically a street-legal race car - just sounds like a whole different class of vehicle than anything most people have ever experienced. In a good way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looking for opinions on aftermarket exhausts to go with the v2 intake. I’m probably going to replace my stock race exhaust with either the Centerline Corsa or the Centerline Stradale, so that I can install the EC Phase 3 ECU upgrade when it is released. I’ve watched the video on EC’s website comparing the sounds of the two exhausts, and I think I prefer the more refined sound of the Stradale over the Corsa. But I’m wondering if that refined exhaust note would seem incongruent with the much raw-er sounding v2 intake. Would anybody who has heard both exhausts on cars with the v2 intake be willing to share their impressions?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I just bought the EC V2 intake and their inter cooler kit. I’ll report back
I've been looking through EuroCompulsion's website for this 4C Inter-cooler and can't find it. I did find the inter-cooler to fit the Fiat 500 Abarth though. I hear that the stock 4C inter-cooler is the same as the stock Abarth inter-cooler. Is this what you're in reference to and that you'll be custom fitting it?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Looking for opinions on aftermarket exhausts to go with the v2 intake. I’m probably going to replace my stock race exhaust with either the Centerline Corsa or the Centerline Stradale, so that I can install the EC Phase 3 ECU upgrade when it is released. I’ve watched the video on EC’s website comparing the sounds of the two exhausts, and I think I prefer the more refined sound of the Stradale over the Corsa. But I’m wondering if that refined exhaust note would seem incongruent with the much raw-er sounding v2 intake. Would anybody who has heard both exhausts on cars with the v2 intake be willing to share their impressions?

I have this exact setup, V2 intake with the Centerline Stradale. I switched from the Madness Modena exhaust to the Stradale because I wanted to lessen the drone.

Personally I haven’t heard the Corsa, but I will tell you that I absolutely love the Stradale. I talked a lot with DocRon on the forum since he had both. He said in his opinion the Stradale had a more “exotic” deep tone to it compared to the Corsa.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either. But if you want to limit the drone a bit more, the Stradale is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I've been looking through EuroCompulsion's website for this 4C Inter-cooler and can't find it. I did find the inter-cooler to fit the Fiat 500 Abarth though. I hear that the stock 4C inter-cooler is the same as the stock Abarth inter-cooler. Is this what you're in reference to and that you'll be custom fitting it?

I’m sure he just bought the intercooler hose kit that hooks up to the stock intercooler. I talked with Chris today and the new larger V3 intercooler itself is not available yet. FYI The intercooler V3 set up will required new different larger intercooler hoses. So I wouldn’t buy any hoses now if you plan on adding the V3 mod later.

And its about time for EC to release that V3 intercooler and ECU tune NOW isn’t it?!!! Maybe they don’t know that people are waiting to buy it?!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Here is the intercooler kit.
“This Kit includes our KEVTEK European Silicone and stainless steel clamps. This kit is a direct replacement for the factory rubber hose. Our Silicone has a thermal conductivity that is less than half of the factory rubber, which will keep the extreme heat from the exhaust and turbo at bay prior to entering the Inter-Cooler, which result in lower charge temps and increased inter-cooler efficiency.”

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...eurocompulsion-complete-inter-cooler-hose-kit

This is the v2 air induction system I purchased. I plan on doing the stage 2 ECU tune very soon.

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/coll...oducts/eurocompulsion-v2-intake-alfa-romeo-4c

Would anyone have an extra ECU for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have this exact setup, V2 intake with the Centerline Stradale. I switched from the Madness Modena exhaust to the Stradale because I wanted to lessen the drone.

Personally I haven’t heard the Corsa, but I will tell you that I absolutely love the Stradale. I talked a lot with DocRon on the forum since he had both. He said in his opinion the Stradale had a more “exotic” deep tone to it compared to the Corsa.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either. But if you want to limit the drone a bit more, the Stradale is the way to go.

It's funny about the drone with the stock race exhaust - I don't really notice it in the driver's seat, but a few months ago I let a friend drive the car with me in the passenger seat, and it was very noticeable in that position. Most of the time I'm the only one in the car, so eliminating the drone isn't a huge factor for me. From the recordings I've heard, I agree with your assessment of the Stradale having the better sound. The only thing giving me pause is whether the more raucous, hot rod-y sound of the Corsa would be a better match for the raw sound of the intake. Does it sound out of place to have all those spaceship sounds from the v2 intake juxtaposed with the refined note of the Stradale in your setup? Maybe I'm overthinking this...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It's funny about the drone with the stock race exhaust - I don't really notice it in the driver's seat, but a few months ago I let a friend drive the car with me in the passenger seat, and it was very noticeable in that position. Most of the time I'm the only one in the car, so eliminating the drone isn't a huge factor for me. From the recordings I've heard, I agree with your assessment of the Stradale having the better sound. The only thing giving me pause is whether the more raucous, hot rod-y sound of the Corsa would be a better match for the raw sound of the intake. Does it sound out of place to have all those spaceship sounds from the v2 intake juxtaposed with the refined note of the Stradale in your setup? Maybe I'm overthinking this...

The V2 intake overbears the stock race exhaust when you really get in it, but that’s my impression from the inside of the car. Unfortunately I’ve never heard it from outside.

From an everyday part-throttle driving perspective I think the stradale would sound cool. I can’t commit to an impression or opinion of what it would be like at full throttle. The videos sound good is all I can go by. I’ve heard the corsa in real life on Docron’s car and it sounded characteristically similar to the race exhaust and not a drastic audible difference. If you want something new and different, the stradale might be what you’re personally searching for.

If I think of it another way, the corsa or race exhaust are raucous. I don’t find the V2 to be raucous. I find it sounds refined - just loud. So its character may actually align with the stradale.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

You’re definitely overthinking it.

The Stradale is still pretty loud, it’s just a deeper tone. I don’t think any aftermarket exhaust pairs poorly with the V2, they’re all great and just different in their own way. But I personally like my setup a lot and don’t think you’d regret one but if you went this route as well.

321 - 340 of 378 Posts