Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently learned of the 4C and just found this forum. I have been keenly reading through the threads. There is a lot of useful information here!

I am located in the U.S., so I think I may still be able to get a Launch Edition allocation as they appear to have not been finally assigned yet here in the U.S.

The question now is, do I wait for Alfa Romeo to iron out the kinks for the series production run or do I commit to buy one of the Launch Editions? What are everyone's thoughts on the Launch Edition residuals? Will the Launch Edition have higher resale value than a non-Launch Edition?

Part of me is thinking that demand will be high enough that I could buy the Launch Edition now, and take a minimal hit when I upgrade to a Stradale in two years or so. Or perhaps this is wishful thinking to help me rationalize a 4C sooner rather than later...

On the other hand, my opinion of Alfa Romeo is such that they are not the paragons of flawless automotive manufacturing, and I may have a much more enjoyable ownership experience if I wait for Alfa Romeo to refine the assembly line. I have been spoiled by my flawless ownership experience with Lexus/Toyota...but Lexus can't create anything as sexy as the 4C!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ralph,
I guess you can look at this in a couple of different ways. First off this is the Fiat group and not the old Alfa Romeo company. As such they have lots of talent and will produce a good product right out of the box.
Or you can think it will still be an Alfa with all its issues. In this case Alfa never seems to get any better. So waiting will not result in a significantly better product.
I have owned Alfas for nearly 30 years and have owned cars from the 60's thru the 80's. They all had issues. Not a single one was enough to make me walk away from the marque. If you have never owned an Alfa you will be in for a driving experience unlike many others. If you are expecting a Lexus you will be very disappointed. I could be wrong as I have no experience with Alfa since they left the US market.
Resale value? Who knows. I would expect them to devaluate over the first few years.
Just my opinion on the topics.
If a car shows up with my name on it I will make a final decision when I see it. I would recommend you do the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't buy it-that will increase the LE allocation for me and increase my chances of getting one. Seriously though, any car can have issues even the fabled Lexus has a few lemons so who is to say you won't get one of them if you go with a Lexus. Life is too short-get one and be the envy of every Lexus owner and then if you decide to change up-do it. Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well...you could buy another Lexus...and a cardigan and some nice warm slippers. :) Although Lexus did create the stunning (and stunningly unaffordable) LFA. I'd have one of those in a heartbeat if I had money to burn.

Seriously though, I'd still like to see somebody (like Chris Harris) roadtest the 4C and give a verdict. The 8C got everybody excited but turned out to be a bit ordinary to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts