Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently had a horror-show experience with dealer. Skipping the details, they charged me $5000 for a little less than the standard 30k service. They tried to hold the car hostage, so I just paid the bill (with a token discount service guy gave) and intend to fix this after the fact.

I did get a quote before bringing it in, but it was not system generated, and they did not provide a written copy. My bad for not getting the quote in writing, but this experience was so much worse even than just an outrageously high bill.

I was hoping that some of you may be willing to scan and provide receipts for 30k service you may have gotten done so that I can provide some kind of evidence to take this up with
1) GM at dealer
2) credit card company to charge them back as a last resort

If you have this and are willing to share, DM and I can provide email to send them to.

Appreciate anyone who is willing to help out in this way.

·
Registered
490 Posts
In states like Michigan they have to provide you with a written quote, prior to service. It's the law. I would start by checking your state laws regarding this. What State are you located in ?

·
Super Moderator
12,321 Posts
Hi all,

I recently had a horror-show experience with dealer. Skipping the details, they charged me $5000 for a little less than the standard 30k service. They tried to hold the car hostage, so I just paid the bill (with a token discount service guy gave) and intend to fix this after the fact.

I did get a quote before bringing it in, but it was not system generated, and they did not provide a written copy. My bad for not getting the quote in writing, but this experience was so much worse even than just an outrageously high bill.

I was hoping that some of you may be willing to scan and provide receipts for 30k service you may have gotten done so that I can provide some kind of evidence to take this up with
1) GM at dealer
2) credit card company to charge them back as a last resort

If you have this and are willing to share, DM and I can provide email to send them to.

Appreciate anyone who is willing to help out in this way.
Was this for the belt change? None of my services have exceeded $2,300 Australian dollars, although I supply the parts. I’ll DM you my service invoice for my belt change service. I also had a brake flush done with that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Unfortunate. Forgive me, but are the details you are skipping relevant at all? And what was the original quote? If they quoted $4K and its $5K, that's one thing. If they quoted $1,500 and they charged $5K, then that is a big issue. I don't yet know what was done and what the facts are - and I don't know what a 30,000 service entails. Can you cross out anything private and post the invoice maybe? But without question, that amount makes me think "Whoa, what the heck did they work on?"

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In states like Michigan they have to provide you with a written quote, prior to service. It's the law. I would start by checking your state laws regarding this. What State are you located in ?
Oregon.

Had an initial conversation with GM this morning. Hopefully, he just makes it right (even though I'm 99% sure I won't go back, even if he comped the whole thing.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunate. Forgive me, but are the details you are skipping relevant at all? And what was the original quote? If they quoted $4K and its $5K, that's one thing. If they quoted $1,500 and they charged $5K, then that is a big issue. I don't yet know what was done and what the facts are - and I don't know what a 30,000 service entails. Can you cross out anything private and post the invoice maybe? But without question, that amount makes me think "Whoa, what the heck did they work on?"
No, the details I'm skipping are not really relevant to the overcharging. Only make it infuriating.

1) some of the work in 30k service had already been done, so it didn't need to be done again
2) I asked them to install a catch can I supplied, but they couldn't figure out how, which did not inspire any confidence in their skills. I got the part back uninstalled
3) they broke my backup camera and couldn't figure out how to fix it, even after I told them where to find the power, which is accessible without even jacking the car (under bumper). They couldn't fix it, and when I poked my header under bumper there was an obviously broken power wire visbile, again not inspiring confidence
4) they had the car for over a month
5) their communication was awful, not returning calls or picking up phone, not calling me on the phone I told them to, not leaving messages when I asked them to specifically
6) there is nuisance knocking coming from behind cab since I've gotten back like something's loose
7) slightly peripheral, but I had originally asked them to do tires, and they couldn't get them, wasting about 3 weeks of time before I just told them to forget it and got them from somewhere else in less than a week at a lower cost anyway

They quoted me $3000 for the full 30k service, but since some of it was out of scope because it had already been done recently, I expected it to come in at less than $3000.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good find. I'll bring this up on my next call with GM if he doesn't go big at setting this straight.
ORS 646A.482 - Estimate required before beginning work

They definitely did not offer to provide me with a printout or anything.

·
Registered
439 Posts
They quoted me $3000 for the full 30k service, but since some of it was out of scope because it had already been done recently, I expected it to come in at less than $3000.
Yeah, that's heavy and a little out of line. Good for you for going to the GM. I'm confident they will make it right and probably look out for you going forward. Good luck with this and keep us posted. If they read this forum they'll understand the power of numbers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They knocked off about 500 when I picked it up, which is probably all the service guy was authorized to do. MOST of the cost was labor.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't taken my 4C to that dealer (yet, and maybe I won't), but I had some issues with getting my Abarth serviced there. No overcharging that I was aware of, but the communication was terrible. It went from a "we'll have your car back to you in a few hours" to them keeping it over the weekend, which I discovered when I went back to find them closed significantly earlier than their site stated they would be.

I'd heard a few other horror stories with them on the Fiat side of things, I'm curious to see how this turns out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
@AlfaRomeoCares

Alfa Romeo Customer Assistance Center at 844-253-2872. Have your vehicle identification number (VIN) ready when you call.

Escalate at the dealer and regional level, if only for showing good faith in attempt to resolve most amicably, but proceed immediately to the step above.

I highly recommend this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No, the details I'm skipping are not really relevant to the overcharging. Only make it infuriating.

1) some of the work in 30k service had already been done, so it didn't need to be done again
2) I asked them to install a catch can I supplied, but they couldn't figure out how, which did not inspire any confidence in their skills. I got the part back uninstalled
3) they broke my backup camera and couldn't figure out how to fix it, even after I told them where to find the power, which is accessible without even jacking the car (under bumber). They couldn't fix it, and when I poked my header under bumper there was an obviously broken power wire visbile, again not inspiring confidence
4) they had the car for over a month
5) their communication was awful, not returning calls or picking up phone, not calling me on the phone I told them to, not leaving messages when I asked them to specifically
6) there is nuisance knocking coming from behind cab since I've gotten back like something's loose
7) slightly peripheral, but I had originally asked them to do tires, and they couldn't get them, wasting about 3 weeks of time before I just told them to forget it and got them from somewhere else in less than a week at a lower cost anyway

Sadly you have been totally ripped off .

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
It's hard to read. Labor is not itemized. Total of 23 hours coming to $4002 in labor.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
$175 an hour? That seems really high on it’s own. Never mind 23 hours is a ton for a belt. I though it was in the service guide at 9…

1 - 20 of 72 Posts