Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep. I literally thought it was a clerical error and they just double booked labor.

Belts, water pump and chassis tightening, but still way too high.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Alfa 4C Spider Black
24 Posts
Hello,

Here’s a breakdown of the work completed, before I bought my car last month from an Alfa dealer. They provided me with all service records as well (names redacted). This receipt was dated 2 days before I bought the car. It’s what attracted me to the buy it. Well taken care of.

The 5 Year Service in Canada (Cad $)
  • $329 oil and filter
  • $199 brake fluid flush
  • $1,280 fastener B
  • $2,121 timing belt and water pump
Extra work required that was completed:
  • $1,265 2 rear Pirelli PZero (235/35/19)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Must be dealer markup...

I think you can point to them that... 1 hour labor for brake fluid flush is $125, but 23 hours of labor is $4002 @ $174 per hour. So that's overcharging of $1127. They used to have labor rate posted on the board near the service window. Take a photo if you go there before this is resolved.

·
Registered
Coupe sold. Kept wheels for Spider
467 Posts
$175/hr shop rate is steep, but doublecheck that, sometimes there are different rates for different type of jobs (electrical = $120/hr, diagnostic = $150/hr, etc)...... when I worked in a Dealership as a Technician we used to 'punch in and out' on every job, just like people punch a time clock starting work, taking lunch, etc. but it was much more often because we'd jump back and forth from car to car while waiting for approvals, parts and things. It was not uncommon to lose money on warranty work because the job only paid us a flat labor rate regardless of how much time it would take. It Was common practice to 'make up' the time we lost by punching a 'customer pay' ticket we might have at our disposal at the time of the warranty work we're doing..........within reason, of course the idea was for it to go unnoticed. Somebody got carried away, maybe but that is just speculation based on my knowledge of the internal workings of those places. One of many reasons I had to get out of that business. Too bad you couldn't see the time schedule break down for that Work Order / Repair Bill

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
467 Posts
The best way to approach the Service Manager or GM is probably to contest the 23 hours to do the job. They have a labor guide for every specific service performed. Like @John4C said the book puts it at 9hrs for TB ? There's a warranty rate (always less) and customer pay rate. If 9hrs is the customer pay rate for the job you ask why the 23hr charge? It might be a little more to add the replacement of the water pump (while the TB was already being performed) but not 14hrs more. Why should you have to pay additional 14 hours labor because the Tech took his good 'ol time ?? that's my point.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hello,

Here’s a breakdown of the work completed, before I bought my car last month from an Alfa dealer. They provided me with all service records as well (names redacted). This receipt was dated 2 days before I bought the car. It’s what attracted me to the buy it. Well taken care of.

The 5 Year Service in Canada (Cad $)
  • $329 oil and filter
  • $199 brake fluid flush
  • $1,280 fastener B
  • $2,121 timing belt and water pump
Extra work required that was completed:
  • $1,265 2 rear Pirelli PZero (235/35/19)
I've converted that to £s (British) and looks like you paid around £2300 for the 60k mile service?

I paid £1348 including AUX belt/tensioner/idler and regas/service of AC unit

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The best way to approach the Service Manager or GM is probably to contest the 23 hours to do the job. They have a labor guide for every specific service performed. Like @John4C said the book puts it at 9hrs for TB ? There's a warranty rate (always less) and customer pay rate. If 9hrs is the customer pay rate for the job you ask why the 23hr charge? It might be a little more to add the replacement of the water pump (while the TB was already being performed) but not 14hrs more. Why should you have to pay additional 14 hours labor because the Tech took his good 'ol time ?? that's my point.
Alfaworks do TB in 7.97 hours @ £90 an hour , we are lucky to have Alfaworks 🙏

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Still a lot, isn't it. I pay €58 at the local dealer (who don't know enough about the car, but that's another discussion) and €48 at my (Ferrari trained!!) independent top notch mechanic.
But than again, those are maybe the differences between countries. Still don't understand how cars in the US can be that cheap, where labour is that costly....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yep. I literally thought it was a clerical error and they just double booked labor.

Belts, water pump and chassis tightening, but still way too high.

Liver:

Here is a recent belt service on a Ferrari 328, done by an exclusively Ferrari shop in New England. This is a belt service on an 8 cylinder Ferrari. Add another $540 or whatever it is (on the left) and that was for pick up and drop off at my house. Show this to whoever you reach at Alfa and remind them you want your additional four cylinders.
Brown Handwriting Font Parallel Wood

·
Registered
2016 Alfa 4C Spider Black
24 Posts
I agree…it wasn’t an inexpensive service. Fortunately I didn’t pay for it as it was completed prior to me buying the car.
But I figure I’m going to put away $1k a year for maintenance as that’s what I’ve been doing with my Porsche’s in the past.
I hope the Alfa won’t require that much, but it’s always good to budget in case it does.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Over several years, I have spent...

Fiat-Alfa Dealers:
  • Bolt tightening - around 700 USD labor x 1
  • Timing belt and related parts, water pump, accessory belt: around 900 USD parts and labor (they honored the 6.5 hour quote, but said it'd be two hours more for next customers) x 1
  • Tires I provided, size up, mounted and balanced, 110 USD parts and labor x 1
  • Oil and Filter are usually 180 USD x 5 years
  • Brake Flush is 200-250 USD x 3 years

Maserati Dealer:
  • Battery swap @ Maserati dealer = 325+ USD (stranded on moving day = fucked)
  • TCM diagnostics and TCM re-flash with software info I referred them to: around 300 USD

Reactions: 4C-ophe

·
Registered
467 Posts
@liver I hope you can get some form of reimbursement/explanation from that Dealership towards satisfaction. That's a vivid example of the horror stories and why we hate Dealerships. We can all learn from an experience like this and be more proactive when getting these cars serviced. Get the Work Order estimates IN WRITING before starting the job.............Keep in mind that experience plays a huge part in how we get billed at customer pay level, as opposed to warranty work, because the Technicians get paid totally different for those two scenarios. They don't see the Alfa 4c model everyday so there could be much 'first-timer' work going on. Labor rates are figured on an experienced Tech having done the job numerous times. In fact, they usually have all the necessary tools laid out ahead of time. Alfaworks guys have seen enough of these cars they can probably do them in their sleep, but think of the guy who works at your average Alfa dealer in the U.S. getting his first 4C timing belt job....." What..., you have to take body panels off the car to do the timing belt?" Yep, it's not an engine out job, but definitely not for the faint of heart. I could believe it taking a noob double the shop time. If they don't have the 'special' tool on hand to lock the cams in place it will make things worse. They may have to borrow it from another dealer and that is going to be down time.

• Wow
Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
947 Posts
Looking at your invoice. Your mileage in/out says in: 36,000 miles. Out: 36,174 miles. Is that for real? They drove your car for 174 miles?????

• Wow
Reactions: lpspeedster

·
Registered
467 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: lpspeedster

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
lol, this exact image crossed my mind when I first looked at the invoice too.

I'm sure it wasn't exactly 36,000 when I dropped it off. That's probably what I told them off the top of my head when they asked at the counter.
You could always put it on blocks and in reverse :unsure:

But I did catch this on my rear dash cam in your neck of the woods....

SORRY....back to my Covid Corner

Hair Head Smile Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
1,547 Posts
They knocked off about 500 when I picked it up, which is probably all the service guy was authorized to do. MOST of the cost was labor.

Maybe the extra 15 hours was for figuring out how to install the catch cans (that they couldn't figure out)?

Also, what's a "SPARL PLUG" ?

And... in my experience the net cost is less than the list cost on parts, they charged full price on all your parts!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts