Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
If one changes a timing belt after seven years (140% of the service interval) and someone else changes their timing belt after 10 years (200% the maintenance interval) and they go to the same shop, after the first guy meets the second guy at the shop to catch up, since guy one referred guy two to his trusty indy, the second guy will realize his maintenance costs for the full timing belt service was higher. At year 10, they are standing there with one timing belt service under their belts.

Prove me wrong.

There ain't enough decades left in most of our lifetimes, nor raw miles put on these cars, to realize any cost benefit from delaying service into an era when it will be more expensive. ICE talent is drying up rapidly, so it's also likely the service will be more of a gamble.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Shoot...sorry to hear about your troubles with this Portland dealership, @liver! I've noticed their prices are pretty high in general compared to what I've seen others state on this forum.

Sounds like the 2 hour drive to the Tacoma dealership might be a better option for us 4C owners in Portland for warranty work or anything for which we don't feel comfortable going to an independent mechanic like Botta Moto Works.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Shoot...sorry to hear about your troubles with this Portland dealership, @liver! I've noticed their prices are pretty high in general compared to what I've seen others state on this forum.

Sounds like the 2 hour drive to the Tacoma dealership might be a better option for us 4C owners in Portland for warranty work or anything for which we don't feel comfortable going to an independent mechanic like Botta Moto Works.
Just got out of Botta. And have nothing but good things to say.

The work done by dealer was worse than I even knew. After "bolt tightening", things were visibly loose bolts even missing in some places. Additionally, quote for work dealer did from Botta would have been roughly half the cost.

Mechanic walked me through everything he did, took pictures, pointed out unrelated things he saw that I didn't mention to watch for, guaranteed their work...

Nothing. But. Good.

I will be using them exclusively.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
What is ‘kidding’ in your post? I can easily edit if it’s a mistake.

Just got out of Botta. And have nothing but good things to say.

The work done by dealer was worse than I even knew. After "bolt tightening", things were visibly loose bolts even kidding in some places. Additionally, quote for work dealer did from Botta would have been roughly half the cost.

Mechanic walked me through everything he did, took pictures, pointed out unrelated things he saw that I didn't mention to watch for, guaranteed their work...

Nothing. But. Good.

I will be using them exclusively.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
After having Tonkin not even bothering to return my calls for a quote on service I went to Botta Moto Werks in Portland for my bolt tightening and belt service. Fantastic communication, service was completed on the timeline they expected. Very happy with the results and I will definitely be returning to them for future 4C needs!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
don't know if I ever uploaded these for posterity: the condition of the underside of the car after Ron Tonkin Alfa Romeo "bolt tightening":
Liquid Plumbing fixture Fluid Bathroom Plumbing

Water Grey Wood Road surface Asphalt

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Wood Textile Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire

Eye Fluid Grey Water Wall

Grey Whiskers Snout Felidae Painting

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
so, again, for posterity, and for fun, here's latest:

alfajon1967's post caused me to have a PSTD moment, as it's the same dealer, and I felt like it was a shame he wasn't warned. So I wrote that 1-star review on google that I never write. This prompted a response from the GM, who I already talked with twice, to volunteer to reach out to "find solutions". This was the nudge I needed to finally write that angry letter I'd been putting off for past 6 months.

I drafted an email, copying the VP of the region of the dealer's owning company, marked it as high-priority, and requested read-receipt so I can tell when and by whom the email was opened. (the VP opened it this morning. As of yet, GM has not opened.) Attached to the email were pictures of the damage, along with receipts from the shops that did the followup work, and a screenshot of the review and response, so he associates all this with the google review.

For your amusement and maybe future generations to borrow from, pfd attached here.

Attachments

61 - 72 of 72 Posts