Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most cars that I have seen (like the 4C) have the paddle shifters mounted onto the wheel. They turn with the wheel. I would think that this is the proper way to mount them. Since your hands are at the 9 & 3 position, on the wheel. If you want them longer, make longer paddles or add extensions similar to Centerlines.

Yet, many prefer that they are fixed to the steering column and do not turn with the wheel. Why would you want it that way. Again, If you want the paddles a little longer, so be it, just make them a little longer or add extensions. I added the Centerline paddles to my car.

Note; I have never driven a car in which the paddle shifters are mounted to the steering column.

·
Super Moderator
14,887 Posts
Have driven both.

Our cars have a fairly quick rack - you don't take your hands of 3 and 9 on the street except for a sharp right hand turn (RHD).
So the paddles on the wheel are pretty convenient.

Paddles on the column are sweet, especially with slower racks because you always know where they are relative to one another, for when the wheel needs to go 180 degrees or more.
BUT, they do rely on having a bit of room behind the wheel.

I was helping out at a supercar event a few weeks ago (instructing is probably a bit of an overstatement - babysitting the cars while newbies drove them on track, LOL), and you'd laugh at how many people sprayed the windshield washer on the Huracan instead of up-shifting! I suspect they flashed the high-beams on an attempted downshift a few times also, although that wasn't as dramatic (or funny to watch). Not super fun for me, as the top was down!

Column mounted shifters are best left to Ferrari and Lambo models where most of the switches normally found on stalks behind the wheel have been moved onto the steering wheel or the dashboard, in my humble opinion!

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
110 Posts
When I was planning on getting a 4C I figured I would add some bigger aluminum paddles. After driving it I kind of like that they are small and not in the way. At least the location is good, I’ve never missed one.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,130 Posts
It is really a matter of choice whether mounted on column or wheel. I have asked and/or read comments from several pro race drivers. They have pretty much said best is on steering wheel so your hands stay in the 9/3 position. For slow driving around town though I can see how having them on the column might be preferred if you need to turn the wheel more than one rotation. I also like the small size of the stock paddles since for me I think I would be finding the larger paddles more of "finger traps". I do wish they had used aluminum or carbon fiber for a more upscale look but not a big deal.
I guess you can have both....just buy a second ALFA....Giulia or Stelvio Q as those paddles are mounted to the column :unsure:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is really a matter of choice whether mounted on column or wheel. I have asked and/or read comments from several pro race drivers. They have pretty much said best is on steering wheel so your hands stay in the 9/3 position. For slow driving around town though I can see how having them on the column might be preferred if you need to turn the wheel more than one rotation. I also like the small size of the stock paddles since for me I think I would be finding the larger paddles more of "finger traps". I do wish they had used aluminum or carbon fiber for a more upscale look but not a big deal.
I guess you can have both....just buy a second ALFA....Giulia or Stelvio Q as those paddles are mounted to the column :unsure:
When bought the Centerline paddle shifters I was concerned that they would interfere with my hand position on the steering wheel. So I just temporarily taped them on, with duct tape to try them out. No problem, they did not get in the way at all. Now, no duct tape. ;):)

·
Super Moderator
14,887 Posts
When bought the Centerline paddle shifters I was concerned that they would interfere with my hand position on the steering wheel. So I just temporarily taped them on, with duct tape to try them out. No problem, they did not get in the way at all. Now, no duct tape. ;):)
I agree - have them on my street car and like them there. But on the track car, gloves are a factor, and I don’t think they would work as well.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
In this picture you can clearly see the ”finger trap”.

22FA46CB-2B1D-44A1-B61B-601B3AE460E9.jpeg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In this picture you can clearly see the ”finger trap”.

View attachment 108770
I do not know what make of paddle extensions yours are? But the ones that I got from Centerline are much farther from the wheel than the ones that you show. It does not look like you could even get your thumb between the paddle and the wheel. That certainly is not the case with the Centerlines. For the ones on my car, the spacing is more akin too, but not quite as much as that shown on the bottom part of your paddles. Like the carbon fiber.
I do not normally wear driving gloves with my 4C. But when I have, I still do not have any clearance problems. Small hands ? :D

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I do not know what make of paddle extensions yours are? But the ones that I got from Centerline are much farther from the wheel than the ones that you show. It does not look like you could even get your thumb between the paddle and the wheel. That certainly is not the case with the Centerlines. For the ones on my car, the spacing is more akin too, but not quite as much as that shown on the bottom part of your paddles. Like the carbon fiber.
I do not normally wear driving gloves with my 4C. But when I have, I still do not have any clearance problems. Small hands ? :D
View attachment 108778
View attachment 108779
Your Centerlines are a better design than my Koshi, but I prefer the carbon. I just had to make minor adjustments to how I drive her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The paddle shifters on the 4C are one of the very few things I’m disappointed in.
They just feel so cheap for such a cool car. I wish they had found somewhere else to cut cost and given us some nice solid feeling paddles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts