Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Anyone else learn to drive on a VW Beetle?
You just brought me back (won't place age here lol) to remember the day I drove my first manual (gorgeous RX-7) in the US midwest, where the owner (SUPER GORGEOUS) let me drive her car (my mouth was on the floor, tongue too swollen to speak, and I was wayyyyy to embarrassed to say I couldn't drive stick). That night she provided me the opportunity to become a "man" in more than one way (extrapolate the aforementioned as you wishl! hahaaaa). DAMMMMIT have to look up her number again!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm a drummer (for 56 years) and have no trouble with hand/foot modulation and syncopation . I have driven standard and automatic for the last 52 years. When driving a go-kart (old style) I had to brake with my left foot. It took a few pumps to get use to the brakes as it does with the 4C but then everything just feels right. Sometimes over thinking can complicate simple body actions. Like anything a little practice is all that's needed. Once the throttle, brakes and shifts are in harmony the result is like music to the ears.
No comments 4Canada! I was learning a new instrument and listening to Tokyo drift in my head that day.:confused:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You just brought me back (won't place age here lol) to remember the day I drove my first manual (gorgeous RX-7) in the US midwest, where the owner (SUPER GORGEOUS) let me drive her car (my mouth was on the floor, tongue too swollen to speak, and I was wayyyyy to embarrassed to say I couldn't drive stick). That night she provided me the opportunity to become a "man" in more than one way (extrapolate the aforementioned as you wishl! hahaaaa). DAMMMMIT have to look up her number again!
You stole this script from an 80's coming-of-age movie.

😂 😂 😂

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
Anyone else learn to drive on a VW Beetle?
A Beetle (not mine but my buddies) was the first manual trans I drove. First trip was from San Francisco to Nevada for an archery contest in 1967...we took turns driving. It wasn't my first car....but all previous were auto trans. My first job started as an electrical engineer (21 years old) in 1968 and my company car pool often had manual trans low end beaters for a couple of years. Learning to drive a manual trans in San Francisco was a bit more challenging due to all the hills and stop and go commute traffic.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Everybody does at first. Doesn't matter manual or automatic, your left foot is trained to mash a clutch pedal, your right to modulate the throttle (and is therefore better at modulating a brake pedal, until you educate your left to do so).

There is absolutely no reason to left foot brake on the street. Even Raikkonen in a recent vido (in a Giulia with Giovinazzi on the Nurburgring) said that he doesn't left foot brake in a road car.

But on track, there are some advantages in terms of being smoother off the gas and still quickly on the brake. Also the other way around. This helps keep the car from getting "the other way around". :D

I'm spending this winter teaching my left foot to modulate the brake pedal on the street, and so far it is going decently well. Takes a while to trust it (my brain wants to hit the brake pedal much earlier when it's the left foot in charge).

Downsides are that you don't have a dead pedal to brace against (in the 4C, on track, that is useful, although a good seat and harness helps to eliminate that), and that you had better have told your brain ahead of time which foot to send to the brake pedal in the case of an emergency stop. There isn't time for your legs and brain to think about it when a deer steps out in front of your car in the dark. Worse yet, a child!!!
Exactly why I don't want to mix up my driving feet, to me there is a line between the clutch pedal and the brake pedal, I don't cross it. Just like when I'm using a saw bench for ripping down timber etc, keeping it methodical and not mixing up where your hands should or shouldn't be.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
As I recall, the reason left foot braking is discouraged in the US at driver schools is because in an emergency, one tends to plant both feet hard. So while the brake gets pushed, the gas may also get floored. I think that is bogus as long as you develop the muscle memory from practicing. Like another poster on this thread, I spent a lot of time driving a go kart in my youth and they use left foot brake and right foot gas. I don't recall that every being an issue. But I certainly wouldn't start doing it without lots of practice in safe conditions and no distractions.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you're into cycling at all, learning to left foot brake is no different than learning to have a more smooth pedal stroke.

It's all about repetition and muscle memory - and no cars behind you.

I still like doing drills in which I'll only pedal with one foot clipped in to help get rid of the jerkiness in my cadence.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts