Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: I'm considering replacing my OEM seats with Recaro Sportster GTs. After reading every virtually every seat & rail/bracket thread on here, I'm still a bit confused. Seems Kansai's brackets work well but I'm concerned about some comments I've read claiming they don't allow full rearward travel of the driver's seat. As I drive with the stock seats all the way back or one notch shy (and still can't see the top third of the instrument cluster) I'm looking for a seat & bracket combo that allows full rearward travel and, preferably, one that'll put my arse about 1" to 2" closer to the the tub's floor than it is currently (with OEM seats on their lowest setting).

I called Recaro USA directly to get their input where a very helpful and knowledgeable sounding representative highly recommended that I contact Planted (Seat Bracket) Technology in Kirkland, WA: www.plantedtechnology.com

Planted seems to have an impressive application guide with brackets for BMW, Lambo's, Fiat, Ferrari, Porsche, and many others. And, after reviewing their price list, it looks like their brackets retail for $140.00 each regardless of the application. Unfortunately, they presently do not offer anything for our 4Cs.

When I spoke to Dan (425-747-9777) at Planted Technology he said they love to manufacture brackets for the 4C but have not access to one to take the necessary measurements. Dan then said if I'd bring my 4C in for them to measure they would design the appropriate bracket and give me the first set manufactured for free. I thank him but said since I'm in Texas that wasn't really a viable option.

Dan then mentioned that If I'd post his information our forum that he would extend the same offer any 4C owners closer to their location.

Therefore, if anyone near Kirkland, WA would like a free set of seat rails/brackets and don't mind Planted Technology using your 4C for a hour or so to take to measurements please feel free to give Dan a call (and let us know now they do!). Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
RTTX - how goes your seat selection journey? Sportster seems to be wider than most other seats so could be a fit issue in our cabins. They are also bottom mount so would not work with most of the side mount bracket/sliders mentioned on the site.

I reached out to Planted to offer to run some measurements of our tub - but they need the car in hand.

I also asked for specs on their universal offset brackets. Here are the dimensions:

A: 9-3/4 inches on center of holes
B: 1 inch on center of holes
C: 2-3/8 inches from surface of side mount to center of hole
D: 3/4 of an inch from center of slot to center of slot
E: 2 inches
F: 10 inches from center of hole to start of slot
G: 1 inch (the side mount is 2 inches wide total, so there's a one inch offset).

Unfortunately these won't work for me (Tillet B5 mount spacing is 9" so dimension F is too large) but sharing here for the Internet's reference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After speaking to several shops who’ve actually fit (or attempted to fit) seats into 4Cs I decided to go with B5s also - the mention of anything else often resulted in groans, and tales of busted knuckles and wasted hours.

Unfortunately, like most businesses, Tilletts’ production has been adversely affected by the pandemic an there are none available anywhere at present.

Tim at Track First, an Ohio-based race shop, has a lot of the aforementioned experience and highly recommended Tilletts for our cars when we spoke. Tim recommended Sparco’s “SIDE MOUNT STEEL” brackets ($75/Set) as the easiest and cleanest way to mount B5s into a US 4C using the OE sliders.

It’s a shame there were no 4C owners near Kirkland, Washington interested as a bespoke solution to our cars would be great and Dan was eager to help.

However, I’m +99% sure Track Time said the Sparco steel brackets will attach to both the B5s and stock rails without modification so that would be next best thing to bespoke mounts I guess.

I was sold when Tim said that this combo in the 4C - B5/Sparco/OE Rails - will allow you to run the seat’s bottom to within a 1/4” of the tub floor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the lead here - I'm going to ask my local store to see if they have any in stock for me to test fit. I don't have the seats either but been pretty thorough with the research.

In case you haven't started measuring - this is what I have (mods, let us know if this should go somewhere else or just rename this thread to "two turkeys try to do R&D")

I'm leaning to custom to accommodate the 3pt buckle and seat rail sensor

·
Registered
2 Posts
After speaking to several shops who’ve actually fit (or attempted to fit) seats into 4Cs I decided to go with B5s also - the mention of anything else often resulted in groans, and tales of busted knuckles and wasted hours.

Unfortunately, like most businesses, Tilletts’ production has been adversely affected by the pandemic an there are none available anywhere at present.

Tim at Track First, an Ohio-based race shop, has a lot of the aforementioned experience and highly recommended Tilletts for our cars when we spoke. Tim recommended Sparco’s “SIDE MOUNT STEEL” brackets ($75/Set) as the easiest and cleanest way to mount B5s into a US 4C using the OE sliders.

It’s a shame there were no 4C owners near Kirkland, Washington interested as a bespoke solution to our cars would be great and Dan was eager to help.

However, I’m +99% sure Track Time said the Sparco steel brackets will attach to both the B5s and stock rails without modification so that would be next best thing to bespoke mounts I guess.

I was sold when Tim said that this combo in the 4C - B5/Sparco/OE Rails - will allow you to run the seat’s bottom to within a 1/4” of the tub floor.

How did the Sparco side mount brackets work with the Tillett B5? That 23cm span of the mounting points on the side of the seat sure in small.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How did the Sparco side mount brackets work with the Tillett B5? That 23cm span of the mounting points on the side of the seat sure in small.
I finally received B5s and have appointment to get them installed on Monday, after Thanksgiving.

Same shop, Texas Track Works, that installed my Nitrons, Wishbones, Rose Joints, Power Flex Bushing, AlfaWorks Blocks, and Torox Brake Kit a few weeks ago.

They’re excellent and somehow managed to shoehorn a pair of the significantly larger Sparco SPX seats into someone else’s 4C previously so the B5s should be piece of cake for them.

In addition to the B5s I’m taking them two sets of each, all Sparco items: Seat Rails, Steel Brackets & HD Aluminum Brackets. (I hope the they can use the Sparco seat rails as my preference would be to remove and store the OEM seats, rails and brackets unmodified to simplify reinstalling them someday if needed/desired.)

Unfortunately, and frustratingly, the inner spacing of the elongated holes on both brackets are about 1/4-3/8” too wide to accommodate the B5s mounting points - and that’s with no tilt. The Tillett’s mounting points would need to be about 1” further apart to accommodate all tilt options but, obviously, that can’t be changed after the fact.

Further, it appears that using the lowest mounting positions on rear of brackets and front would not be possible without trimming off material on the front (Red line in photo)

Another possible solution, for those wanting to mount seats low as possible, would be to simply drill a single hole before the elongated holes at the rear of the bracket (As I tried to illustrate in crude photo edit, circled part would hit seat - sorry, first time to use Photoshop for iPad)

NOTE: The hole before the elongated holes shown in photo at rear of bracket is not there currently. I “drilled” it with Photoshop.

I’m confident Texas Track Works will come up with good, sold and safe solution - hopefully it’ll be something simple that others can easily replicate elsewhere. 🤞

I’ll update with photos when they get it completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Good to see people being innovative and creative to find workarounds for seat conversions. there is a member on here, kazkioken who used Sparco HD brackets but his install shop had to elongate the mounting holes on the tub side to accommodate the CF tub existing threaded inserts. The shop also had to chop off the top of the rear brackets to make space for the lap belt. This was for a fixed mounting solution for Sparco seat NOT one for preserving the stock slider.

let me know if you need any pictures or measurements from my seat conversion journey as I can maybe dig it up. I’m glad you got in contact with [email protected], he was the one I coordinated with to produce the Bray Krause seat brackets group buy. I heard [email protected] just bought a pair of the Bray Krause brackets so he may be working on a copy of those brackets to sell to people since BK wont produce anymore unless there is a large bulk order.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the update RTTX, will be interesting to see what you come up with. I actually dont have a 4C (I have a Porsche), but have the same issues trying to find a bracket that works - less about finding one that mounts wide enough to the floor and more about finding one that has that 23 cm span on the seat side between mount holes. I could use the Tillett mount and the heavy planted floor mount, but it looks like hell. Many have also commented that Tillett sliders are junk as well.

I wonder if anyone has looked into these seats? Seem to be the same dimensions as the Tillett B5, but the span on the mount holes is closer to the 290mm standard that most brackets seek to accommodate.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had my Tilletts installed by Dog House Performance at MSR Cresson. They did a great job. I can see all of the tach now and my helmet no longer hits the roof in my coupe.

Jeff

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update time... Hopefully getting car back today, tomorrow at latest.

We're sticking with the stock sliders and using the Sparco steel brackets. They spoke very favorably of our stock sliders, said the Sparco's would be a downgrade and add 2+ hours to the install as they'd require some modification to fit. Said the stock sliders are wider and have no slop.

First photo is of first fitting. I asked them to make it lower and they delivered - over delivered actually. Rest assured tall people, the B5s can get very low!

I'm 6'0" (183cm) and with the seat's bottom about a 1/2" (12mm) off the tub floor I could not see hood/bonnet. Also, using lowest mounting points on brackets front and rear (no tilt) the seat was much too reclined for my liking

I'm know I'm in the minority here as the first thing anyone getting into one of my vehicles inevitable does is recline the seat back 20 to 30 degrees. Conversely, I inevitably do the opposite after plopping down onto someone else's driver or passenger seat.

The passenger seat in first photo is how I like/need things - all the way back with the seat's back parallel to firewall. I have 36" inseam and with the seat rake depicted it feels like I need to slide the seat back at least another 6" for my legs to be sufficiently unbent and, unfortunately, the headrest was already within a inch of the rear window.

The guy performing the work is an an endurance racer. After getting the driver's seat installed he confessed to being skeptical about the B5's comfort when he first saw it but not after sitting in it. He took notes of my concerns/requests and asked me come back 10 AM today.

I left a bit discouraged, thinking I might have made a mistake with the B5s.

When I sat in them this morning I could not believe the difference. He nailed it. They're maybe about a 1/4" too low if I were being particular but the seat pads (on there way) will take care of that.

To enable the seat to go all the way back he drilled a hole behind the lowest elongated hole in front (Pics 2 & 3) and used the second from lowest elongated hole in the back (Pic 4) - I guess this would be considered negative but works for me.

They're now modifying the other set of Sparco steel brackets to match the driver's side. Afterwards, they'll sandblast and re-powder coat the brackets before final installation.

Pics of completed project to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Looking good so far!
How will he be mounting the receiver for the stock 3pt?
Will you be running 6pt and what is his recommendation for the subharness bar to mount between thighs straps?

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Tilletts are really comfortable and hold you in place. They look like they would be uncomfortable and slippery. I purchased the pads but am not going to use them.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
@Jwdm - Use the pads. It isn't for slippery or padding, it keeps you from scratching the CF and clear coat as much. Mine are still scratched, mostly around the belts and HANS type devices, but the pads help.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
400 Posts
@Jwdm - Use the pads. It isn't for slippery or padding, it keeps you from scratching the CF and clear coat as much. Mine are still scratched, mostly around the belts and HANS type devices, but the pads help.
I need padless to see the tach and so my helmet does not touch the ceiling.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
@Jwdm - Aren't the pads less than a 1/4" thick? I don't have the Tillet, but my CF have very very thin pads, which make do difference in comfort or height.

·
Registered
400 Posts
@Jwdm - Aren't the pads less than a 1/4" thick? I don't have the Tillet, but my CF have very very thin pads, which make do difference in comfort or height.
They are very thin. I sat with the pads on the seats and that little difference affected the tach some. Every little bit counts. Plus the seats are so good looking without the pads!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Bah, only need to know when the tack is bouncing off the limiter... Lol

Here is a photo of the scratches I get when the instructors wear the Simpson Hybrid type Hans device...
My padding prevents most of the scratches, just not the ones right next to the belts.....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts