Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first thread here, I'm probably at least 1.5-2 years from getting a 4C (doesn't mean I'm not crazy about it already haha) so this question may be moot if there are any minor changes by then, but a minor question I have for those are lucky enough to have experience with the 4C:

Do polarized sunglasses interfere with visibility of the dash display?

I tend to like to wear polarized sunglasses when driving and of course never had a problem with analogue gauges, but the 4C's LCD dash makes me wonder if a pair of polarized sunglasses would end up "blacking out" the display. Would love to hear from owners/those who have driven the car regarding this issue, please. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
It's not an LCD display. It is a TFT display. I don't wear sun glasses, so I can't answer the question.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can't speak to the Alfa specifically because like you, I don't own one but I've never had a problem with polarized lens and any other LCD. I do get a "blotchy" effect with lightly tinted side glass but not with any digital displays.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I have a pair of GA polarized shades in my M5. Whenever I put them on I cannot see the heads up display.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lolercoaster

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, gents. Encouraging answers all around. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not an LCD display. It is a TFT display. I don't wear sun glasses, so I can't answer the question.

TFT stands for Thin Film Transistor, and it is indeed an LCD.

Racer, pardon me for pointing this out, but since you've gotten your 4c you seem to be getting a bit brusque with the newer forum members.

Vento brings up an excellent point regarding Polarized glasses and the LCD display of the 4c. Many LCDs are unreadable when wearing polarized glasses since the light leaving the display itself is polarized.

I'm glad to hear someone on the forum who does use polarized glasses doesn't have a problem with the 4c's LCD display.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
TFT stands for Thin Film Transistor, and it is indeed an LCD.

Racer, pardon me for pointing this out, but since you've gotten your 4c you seem to be getting a bit brusque with the newer forum members.

Vento brings up an excellent point regarding Polarized glasses and the LCD display of the 4c. Many LCDs are unreadable when wearing polarized glasses since the light leaving the display itself is polarized.

I'm glad to hear someone on the forum who does use polarized glasses doesn't have a problem with the 4c's LCD display.
brusque
Had to look that one up.
Not my intention. I'll try not to in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
LOL thought I had problem today but realized that the protective film was still on display. No problems after film was removed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been driving with shades for weeks and have had no issue whatsoever except when I am filling up with gas because with polarized shades I can't see the LCD readout on the pump.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have tried my gold Elvis shades, my Elton John pinball wizard era sunnies and my cool as sun blinds ... No problems apart from the wanker signs and middle finger. I know what you mean though. Things in my BMW look a little strange when polarized.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts