Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Possible to have better sound?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Now I’m Broke 
#1 ·
So I have an 2018 Spider with the premium sound package. And it sounds 100% better than the 2015 launch edition with the crappy sound system, but being someone who has had 9k watt sound systems in my other vehicles, I feel like I need more. Has anyone gone bigger and better than the stock premium sound package? And if so, what did you go with and was it much better? And what did you have to sacrifice in order to make that change?
Had the car less than a month and I already want to get a vanity tag, a yellow baby Ferrari emblem, tinted windows, better sound, and change the color when I get tired of the white(which is beautiful and so much better than the black and the red)(in my opinion).

thanks for any responses

See less See more
#2 ·
She's a beauty! Let me tell you what responses you will shortly have:
1- The Akrapovic sound system is great ? (or another variant)
2- The carbon tub doesn't lend itself well to a nice sound system
3- A few will chime in and recommend a few changes.

Just know that you may not achieve your sound goals with this car. The car wasn't designed with sound systems in mind.

#4 ·
There are two solutions for better sound at a reasonable cost:
1. If your state allows you to drive with ear buds....get some with noise cancelling and pair with your cell phone. You will get great sound and as a side benefit dampen the road/engine noise. Note that most of us PREFER to hear those 4C sounds though.

2. Get two blue-tooth small speakers and mount them behind your head on the fire wall and again pair with your cell phone via BT. I saw a round small BOSE speaker that goes for about $100 each. It had very good sound and loud with decent bass also. Putting speakers nearer your head will work much better than changing out the speakers in the door.

#9 ·
Noise floor in cabin is to high when running. If you have the upgraded audio system, its not that bad, if you stop and shut down the engine:)

Reduce cabin noise, a no go for me, or use noise cancelling headphones for longer trips. They do the same, reduce noise floor considerably, and reduces fatigue greatly.

#10 ·
No system will sound ok when you have so much noise coming from the engine and the exterior.
You can start and isolate the floor, the back panel, the doors + add some speakers + amplifier + etc BUT you will add weight: the whole purpose of the car is around it's weight and weight reduction.
The OEM speakers are extremely light --> replacing them with anything else would add weight.

If you start doing this it may be a better option to buy a different car. A porsche provides far better interior and isolation and sound options.
I even removed the OEM radio --> I never turned it on (even on long journeys).
When I drive this car I can hardly wait for a good piece of road where I can hear the engine, the gear changes, where I can feel the steering fighting back and the agility of the nose taking a corner.

#12 ·
No system will sound ok when you have so much noise coming from the engine and the exterior.
You can start and isolate the floor, the back panel, the doors + add some speakers + amplifier + etc BUT you will add weight: the whole purpose of the car is around it's weight and weight reduction.
The OEM speakers are extremely light --> replacing them with anything else would add weight.

If you start doing this it may be a better option to buy a different car. A porsche provides far better interior and isolation and sound options.
I even removed the OEM radio --> I never turned it on (even on long journeys).
When I drive this car I can hardly wait for a good piece of road where I can hear the engine, the gear changes, where I can feel the steering fighting back and the agility of the nose taking a corner.
We all have different reasons for buying a 4C. Buying the 4C to keep it stock and as light weight as possible was never my intention. Adding a few pounds to the car isn’t gonna hurt anything. If it did, wouldn’t we all focus on loosing weight simply to add less weight for the car?

I bought the 4C because I love the way it looks and the joy it brings others when they see it. In the years I’ve lived in Memphis TN, I have yet to see another one. Porches, mustangs, Camaros, chargers, challengers, they’re so common here it’s quite annoying.
If I want speed, I’ll drive my 14 Stingray and not have to worry about being lightweight. The vette has the best stock sound system I’ve ever heard. Maybe I’ll buy those speakers and put them in my 4C. Gotta be lighter than my 40lb amp and my 50lb each subs.

#14 ·
I have the premium sound with sub and was underwhelmed until I replaced the head unit with an Alpine Halo9.
Not sure if it's sound processing or just cleaner source but I'm happy with mine now.

#17 ·

Here's what I did, it made a HUGE difference in mine. Granted, no sub, nor does it sound like it has one, but low end response is 100x better as well as overall volume and clarity. It was simple, cheap, reversible and effective.

#18 ·
So, I finally talked to the technician after several times of going to the audio place. He said he may be able to use the passenger foot room area and make a fiberglass box that would allow 2 6x9s or maybe a sundown audio 8” sub to fit nicely in without having to take up much space. Granted, the sub itself we were talking about is about $600, I’m assuming the install, sub and new amp and wiring is gonna be around $2500 total. Is it worth it? To most people no, but to me probably so. We shall see in a few weeks if it’s possible or not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.