Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo LE Coupe - KW Coilovers - AlfaWorks Suspension Blocks - BMC Air Filter
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....

Just ordered a PowerFlex Lower Engine Mount Bushing from PowerFlexUSA, as they had the yellow (street variety) in stock.
This also includes the center bushing/sleeve that removes the play between the bolt and housing.

From what I read in the many postings, this is a 'must have' addition, and an inexpensive one at that, for our 4Cs.
Look forward to getting this installed as soon as it arrives....

I do have a question for those who did the installation themselves....

One of the 2 bolts holding the the engine mount in place requires a Torx socket to remove. Why they chose to use this style bolt head instead of a standard one, I'll never know, but they did.
Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Wood

I don't have any Torx sockets in my rather extensive tool collection, so... guess I will have to purchase one (don't need a whole set).
Is it possible to use any other kind of standard socket to remove this, and if not, does anybody know the size needed?

I believe these 2 bolts need to be torqued to 60 ft. lbs (?), so I don't want to mess up the Torx head using a wrong socket....

Also, after 3 alignments, the 4C is near perfect in the handling department and an absolute pleasure to drive.

Shims were necessary to adjust the front camber to GMS specs. Also had the front toe adjusted to zero.
This was the culmination of installing KW coilovers and AlfaWorks blocks sometime ago.

An FYI.....
If you install adjustable coilovers, be aware that adjusting the firmness of ride too soft will cause 'floating' at high speed.
I had mine adjusted 4 clicks from the softest setting (wonderful for driving around town), but at 75+, it had a 'floating' feeling.
I added another 3 clicks firmer (7 total), front and back... this resolved the issue, and it's still not as harsh as the OEM shocks.

Enjoy those 4Cs..............

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
2015 Alfa Romeo LE Coupe - KW Coilovers - AlfaWorks Suspension Blocks - BMC Air Filter
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Docron….
And thank you for the step by step on doing an install…. Doesn’t look difficult….

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still not sure of the Torx socket size…..
Didn’t see that on the forum link….

·
Registered
164 Posts
Still not sure of the Torx socket size…..
Didn’t see that on the forum link….

Looks like an external T18 according to this write up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Powerflex Bushing kit, which also includes the black polyurethane sleeve.
Very high quality...

Had to order a T18 Torx socket, as well, which showed up at the same time as the bushing.
I did get the socket in 1/2" drive, so it would fit on my torque wrench without an adapter.

Removed the engine mount, which was pretty easy, cleaned the existing bushing and installed the Powerflex bushing and sleeve.
While the bushing fit perfectly, the sleeve is a tight fit, and you want to make sure this sits flush in the bushing.
If it isn't completely flush, it makes it difficult reinstalling the engine mount with the thick washer on top.
Just keep working at it and it will eventually fit. I used a narrow blade, long shank screwdriver to align the washer.

BTW... I did notice a lot of thread marks/damage on one side of the center hole from the Torx bolt, so apparently, there was quite a bit of play... no longer with the installation of this bushing/sleeve.

Got it torqued to specs, and took it for a drive... wow! a very noticeable difference....
Very crisp shifts, no lag time or feel, and looking in the rear view, virtually no excess movement of the engine.

I highly recommend this very inexpensive upgrade to our 4Cs....

Enjoy those beautiful Alfas!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts