Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

I recently bought an Alfa Romeo 4C Spider with only 3,000 miles in very good condition, and I鈥檓 thinking about getting PPF for the entire car, the XPEL Ultimate.

The first quote from a XPEL certified shop in the San Francisco Bay Area for an entire car PPF was $7,000 (w/o tax) 馃槵

What are your experiences with XPEL PPF and how much did you pay for it?

Best,

Michael

Registered
I had my whole car done in PPF for just under $5000 cdn. I did it in Suntek instead of the Xpel, apparently it鈥檚 a bit glossier. Cost would have been the same. Sure gives piece of mind.

Registered
In my opinion a must have. I had Xpel U and a ceramic coat for $6,200.
The 4C is not an easy vehicle to PPF. My installer who is very reputable and does many exotics in my area states it was on of the most difficult installs he has encountered and claims he did not turn a profit because he had to redo quite a few areas. He is a perfectionist, which I appreciate, so I know he did the right thing. I cannot understate the importance of the ceramic coat. Makes the car extremely easy to keep clean and looks liquid.

Your installer may have had experience with the 4C and hence the higher price.
ask him to throw in a Ceramic coat, 2- year, and the price is fair. IMO

Registered
I had mine done at around 拢2500 , everything but the boot and roof, it鈥檚 good for stopping swirls, it鈥檚 good for minor road rash but bigger stones do get through the layer then you have a bigger dilemma, touch it up and hope it鈥檚 not seen or replace the whole panel PPF, it鈥檚 a tough decision but life is too short to worry about a few scars.

Registered
Mine has the factory option for $1500. Pretty poor job in my mind but gets the job done.
I have heard similar things with the 4c being difficult.

Maybe this helps but I recently had my Audi rs3 front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors for $1500

Labor is everything and the people who install it are worth the $$

Registered
I had my front done with Xpel Ultyimate for $850. They offered the entire car for another $1500.

Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
I had mine done when the car was new in 2016. Did the entire front of the car from Windshield forward for about $1500 using Suntek Ultra. It is equivalent to Xpel Ultimage but the Suntek is a bit glossier. My installer uses both products and is the one that recommended the Suntek because of the gloss. The factory stuff is junk. All of the 4Cs come with the factory PPF on the rocker panels. On colors other than white it looks fine, on white cars it goes yellow after a while and very obvious so if you have it get it replaced. The only advantage of the factory PPF is that it is somewhat thicker than both of the other products so for rockers may be better but I doubt it. When I got my car the dealership had one of their cars factory PPF over the entire front of the car like mine (red car). If it was the same material as the rockers I would avoid it for sure. The factory complete installation looked just so so. Finding a good installer is the secret so ask around to find those with good reputations. The best will charge more. The preparation is important but in the case of the 4C...they are particularly hard to do wit all those compound curves. One word of warning.....do NOT put it on your side view mirrors. To do so most installers will disassemble the mirror caps and once they are put back it is most likely they will fall off in the future. Seems that once the mirror caps are removed the latch bits are broken or weakened. This isn't too expensive if you have the standard caps....but if you have the carbon fiber caps it is VERY expensive for replacements.

By the way....I had mine done and included on the dealers invoice and it was warrantied by them. So if the installer goes away in the future it was still covered. I also had it done BEFORE I took delivery of the car. Several members have decided to wait a while before installing it after buying the car so they could enjoy the new purchase. Sadly they got a couple of rock nicks before they got it wrapped. A car as low as ours and with all the front surface is a pebble and grit magnet! After 5 years mine still looks pristine.

Registered
Hi all,

I recently bought an Alfa Romeo 4C Spider with only 3,000 miles in very good condition, and I鈥檓 thinking about getting PPF for the entire car, the XPEL Ultimate.

The first quote from a XPEL certified shop in the San Francisco Bay Area for an entire car PPF was $7,000 (w/o tax) 馃槵

What are your experiences with XPEL PPF and how much did you pay for it?

Best,

Michael
Might just be pricing in your area but I think you're getting hosed. Realistically shouldn't be over 5k, even with as many wrapped edges as possible. the car is pretty easy to work on, because there are no hard angles and panels are large with soft curves, the only difficult area to ppf is the rear bumper. I would continue to get quotes. That being said I wouldnt chase the cheapest price, but there's no way I'd pay $7000.

Registered
One of the biggest things that impacts the price is going to be the quality of installation.

Are they going 100% balls to the wall and taking out headlights, removing signal markers, wrapping the edges around where you couldn't possibly know there is film there? Id pay 5k for that.
Or did they print out the pre cut film and slap it on? That's not worth $1500 in my mind

When it comes to PPF its difficult to compare because quality of work varies SO SO MUCH.

Registered
One of the biggest things that impacts the price is going to be the quality of installation.

Are they going 100% balls to the wall and taking out headlights, removing signal markers, wrapping the edges around where you couldn't possibly know there is film there? Id pay 5k for that.
Or did they print out the pre cut film and slap it on? That's not worth $1500 in my mind

When it comes to PPF its difficult to compare because quality of work varies SO SO MUCH.
Definitely this - see if you can get reviews/recommendations and shop around a bit. There can be huge variations in price, and it may not even be related to the quality of work.

Anecdotal example - buddy of mine got his brand new RS5 corrected, PPF'd and ceramic coated by a local company (one-man operation) in the DMV area. The installer was absolutely meticulous (must've had some level of OCD) and did a really good job. We hung around his shop for a bit while he finished up and he took us around his work in extensive detail. He quoted $3-3.5k to do the same work on my M6 Gran Coupe (which required a lot more correction than the RS5).

I got another quote for the same car from another well regarded company DMV (big social media presence - read into that what you will). I have no doubts about the quality of their work after reading reviews, seeing their shop etc, but was quoted $6k for the same job.

Registered
Definitely this - see if you can get reviews/recommendations and shop around a bit. There can be huge variations in price, and it may not even be related to the quality of work.

Anecdotal example - buddy of mine got his brand new RS5 corrected, PPF'd and ceramic coated by a local company (one-man operation) in the DMV area. The installer was absolutely meticulous (must've had some level of OCD) and did a really good job. We hung around his shop for a bit while he finished up and he took us around his work in extensive detail. He quoted $3-3.5k to do the same work on my M6 Gran Coupe (which required a lot more correction than the RS5).

I got another quote for the same car from another well regarded company DMV (big social media presence - read into that what you will). I have no doubts about the quality of their work after reading reviews, seeing their shop etc, but was quoted $6k for the same job.
Definitely this again!!!

We find comfort in "large" brands or companies who "must know what they are doing," "look at his shop its beautiful" mentality.

25 year old guy just did my RS3 and was meticulous, he wanted to do a good job, re did panels, had me come back after a few weeks to make sure there were no problems. One-two man shop. Way better than a lot of wraps I've come across.
However you can get in trouble with little shops like that, but don't discount the "kid" whos doing it in an empty warehouse. Just ask to see other work, verify the business and move on.

Registered
I had my entire 2016 4C spider done in Xpel ultimate north of Atlanta for $3,600 with a 10 year warranty about a year ago.

Registered
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider
Discussion Starter #19
No way. Which shop? I got a quote for $6,000 full car and I'm not in the big cities where they charge 7-8k for the full car
I asked other shops here in the San Francisco Bay Area and got quotes for $6,500 and $9,000. Looks like it鈥檚 in general more expensive here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts