Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
For me and where I live and how I use: Any 5W-40 API Synthetic with Chrysler Material Standard MS-12991

- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
- Ravenol 5W-40 VST
- Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
- Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40

I really don't think we're talking about any real differences here. Availability and price would dictate what I buy. But, this is an oil thread, so I'll make the popcorn.

·
Registered
856 Posts
What's on the Owner's Manual, as in Selenia Sport Power 5W-40 that meets the 9.55535-GH2 specification

·
Administrator
18,861 Posts
So, just did my oil change. Anyone know the procedure to reset the indicator system? Although it seems I'm changing at the 12 month interval anyway . . . .
http://4c-forums.com/16-engine-technical/18386-diy-oil-change-4.html#post512306

http://4c-forums.com/16-engine-technical/25329-clear-oil-change-alert-3.html#post680369

Or this (5th & 6th video in the post):
http://4c-forums.com/16-engine-technical/47065-official-how-videos.html

Check out the DIY sticky threads in the engine and technical section of the forum for lots of great information like this.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Does it even matter?
I got a little bit nervous about this because the oil in the Centerline kit I linked earlier is C3. From what I've "read" (you get what you pay for), A3 is recommended in the USA vs. C3 in Europe due to gasoline (petrol) formulations. For instance, the Euro owner's manual for the 4C recommends C3. The USA owner's manual recommends Chrysler MS-12991, which is more like A3.

In the final analysis, I figure I change my oil every 12 months and put on, maybe, 3,000 miles in that time. So, for me, the answer to "Does it even matter?" was "no."

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a little bit nervous about this because the oil in the Centerline kit I linked earlier is C3. From what I've "read" (you get what you pay for), A3 is recommended in the USA vs. C3 in Europe due to gasoline (petrol) formulations. For instance, the Euro owner's manual for the 4C recommends C3. The USA owner's manual recommends Chrysler MS-12991, which is more like A3.

In the final analysis, I figure I change my oil every 12 months and put on, maybe, 3,000 miles in that time. So, for me, the answer to "Does it even matter?" was "no."

Yeah, I thought it looked like a good deal until I saw C3.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe we should ask Centerline to give us the option of the A3 or C3 oil. Wouldn't change the price of their kit.
Good find, anyone have any experience with Red Line oil? I've never heard of them. My buddy and I put in the power flex bushing over the weekend and the ease of access to the oil filter prompted me to make this thread and do an oil change myself.

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
443 Posts
Maybe we should ask Centerline to give us the option of the A3 or C3 oil. Wouldn't change the price of their kit.
This is a very timely thread as we have recently made a change to our kit, it now comes with the A3 spec 5W40 instead of the C3 spec "Euro Series" 5W40.

When we initially spoke with Redline on the 4C application they recommended the C3 spec oil. The 4C had just been released and they didn't have a lot of data on it yet so they recommended the oil that met the Euro specification. In more recent discussions they indicated the C3 spec was not really necessary for US cars, so we reverted back to the A3 spec 5W40, which is also the oil they are recommending for the Giulia Quadrifoglio with the 2.9L twin turbo engine.

I have used both 5W40 versions on our 4C, the differences are very minor and both versions of the 5W40 are incredibly stout oils that are perfect for high heat turbo engines. You can't really go wrong with either but we will be selling the A3 version from this point forward, and I will update the web site to reflect the change.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is a very timely thread as we have recently made a change to our kit, it now comes with the A3 spec 5W40 instead of the C3 spec "Euro Series" 5W40.

When we initially spoke with Redline on the 4C application they recommended the C3 spec oil. The 4C had just been released and they didn't have a lot of data on it yet so they recommended the oil that met the Euro specification. In more recent discussions they indicated the C3 spec was not really necessary for US cars, so we reverted back to the A3 spec 5W40, which is also the oil they are recommending for the Giulia Quadrifoglio with the 2.9L twin turbo engine.

I have used both 5W40 versions on our 4C, the differences are very minor and both versions of the 5W40 are incredibly stout oils that are perfect for high heat turbo engines. You can't really go wrong with either but we will be selling the A3 version from this point forward, and I will update the web site to reflect the change.
Good stuff! I'm glad I started the thread~!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I feel quite vindicated. I have been using ACEA A3 oil in the car now for over two years for the very reasons that hornetball said. Early on many posters on this forum laid out all sorts of terrible things that would supposedly happen to my car due to my use of an A3 vs the then recommended C3 oil for USA applications. Two years on and the car still runs like a top and I have mental security of knowing that I have been using what I believe is the most robust oil for the application. Like many, this discussion is likely solely academic in its application but if we did not obsess about such minutiae on these cars we wouldn't be spending time talking to complete strangers on a website about them now would we?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.