Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tracked my car....yet but I do get on it on open stretches of road where there is no traffic and its pretty isolated. Once the car gets above 90mph on a straight, I can feel the front end lifting and getting really light. Has anyone found proper aero bits to have the front end not do this? I don't want something that's for show but rather something that is really functional. Any info would be great, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
Just add Canards to the front bumper. It makes a big difference.
Funny you should say that - a certain package arrived from Alfa9 this week... :cool:

How did you attach? Rivnuts?
Do I need to take the front bumper off?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Funny you should say that - a certain package arrived from Alfa9 this week... :cool:

How did you attach? Rivnuts?
Do I need to take the front bumper off?
I believe it's screwed on.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
I’ve been eyeing the canards, why would someone get the large vs small canards? Or vica versa.
Not sure enough to tell you.
My philosophy was "go big or go home".
I wanted effectiveness. The larger they are, likely the more drag they also generate (*), but (hopefully) the more effect they have on front downforce.
That said, there is a lot of complex analysis required to ascertain which, if either, is "best" solution for certain circumstances.
I did none of that, and simply made a choice!

* my local track is not high speed enough for drag to be a big issue with the 4C. I hope to go to a few where this is a factor, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Not sure enough to tell you.
My philosophy was "go big or go home".
I wanted effectiveness. The larger they are, likely the more drag they also generate (*), but (hopefully) the more effect they have on front downforce.
That said, there is a lot of complex analysis required to ascertain which, if either, is "best" solution for certain circumstances.
I did none of that, and simply made a choice!

* my local track is not high speed enough for drag to be a big issue with the 4C. I hope to go to a few where this is a factor, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
I would be interested in a template, for that “just right” position for effectiveness.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
I would be interested in a template, for that “just right” position for effectiveness.
Matt provided some photos - I'll see if I can dig them up.
Also, he said that the ones he sells pretty much conform to the bumper in only one position.
But I have zero idea how much research went into picking that position or developing the shape.

Laptime has a set (pair of double planes) that are in a similar location. Call me Al used them, but also had the mother of all (real, effective) front splitters and Kansai Performance rear wing to balance that off (along with stiff and adjustable suspension). I have none of the above yet, so baby steps and no idea how much if any this will help me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'll look into them. Honestly I've seen others post their cars with canards on there but I thought it was more for show haha. Glad they seem to work and that its an easy solution.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
So, I looked at the ones supplied by Alfa9, pictured above.
They are carbon fibre works of art. And weigh less than air.
A substantial return (mounting flange) below the blade, with 4 mounting holes in each side.

They are actually from a Lotus Elise 2010+ application, but match the front bumper curves of the 4C brilliantly. There is a fair bit of leeway as to how to line them up, actually. Thinking one is going to have to look from above and below, to make sure the mounting flange makes good contact in three dimensions.

Included fasteners are M5 thread, and come with washers and nylock nuts. If you decide to go with rivnuts to make removal easier, you’ll need metric inserts. Either way, I think it would make sense to access the inside of the front bumper (obviously, to do the nuts this is required, but I think that a washer on the inside of a rivnut might be a good idea).

Won’t put these on in time for my next track day, but it looks like a wet one anyway. And on a layout that I have very little in the way of benchmark times on. Will report back at some point once I’ve tried them. But as said earlier, without stiffer shocks, I doubt that they will have any real effect yet.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This piece looks much more aesthetic than functional. Does it feel sturdy? Looks cool, but I think it would be like the Koshi front lip and shark fins and just for looks.

·
Super Moderator
14,886 Posts
This piece looks much more aesthetic than functional. Does it feel sturdy? Looks cool, but I think it would be like the Koshi front lip and shark fins and just for looks.
I can only reply that it feels solid. With the mounting flange and curved shape, it is quite rigid.

As far as effectiveness, it's something you see on track equipped cars like the Camaro 1LE. This does not preclude it being for show. But these also featured on most of the prepped time attack cars I competed against. Those mostly had excessive aero from wings and splitters to wide body kits. Again, how much research went into those items, I don’t know.

Unlike a small rear wing, this location is in direct, fast airflow so it should offer some downforce. But it is not large, so its effect on downforce and drag won’t be massive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts