Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I owned a Milano and loved it, and now have a 2016 4C and I really love it!
But recently the muffler blew out the AR emblem that's stamped into it, rusted from inside out, and I'm thinking of replacing it with aftermarket (and I'm not sure what other choice there is).
Has anyone had experience with Vibrant Performance's part # 10632, SS center-inlet / dual-outlet "moderate" muffler? From the catalog info, it looks like the 2½" / 2¼" version might drop right in there, in place of the OEM 4C muffler, with a little cutting & welding from the right shop.
I'm wondering also because I've seen a number of posts about this muffler rusting out quickly, but not many specific solutions, and need to do something about this.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Hi, I owned a Milano and loved it, and now have a 2016 4C and I really love it!
But recently the muffler blew out the AR emblem that's stamped into it, rusted from inside out, and I'm thinking of replacing it with aftermarket (and I'm not sure what other choice there is).
Has anyone had experience with Vibrant Performance's part # 10632, SS center-inlet / dual-outlet "moderate" muffler? From the catalog info, it looks like the 2½" / 2¼" version might drop right in there, in place of the OEM 4C muffler, with a little cutting & welding from the right shop.
I'm wondering also because I've seen a number of posts about this muffler rusting out quickly, but not many specific solutions, and need to do something about this.
The standard exhaust is of poor quality. You’re bound to get further problems if you persist with it. Just get it replaced. I’ve swapped mine out for a Quicksilver Helmholtz. Much, much better quality. The piping is pretty poor too. If you just want to replace the muffler I’d get someone to do the lot from the mid-pipe onwards.

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
105 Posts
Alfanut encouraged me to go for the QS Helmholtz and I am very pleased I listened to him(y), it really is a nice exhaust - good sound when you want it (accelerating hard), civilised when you don't (cruising at 75 - 80mph).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The standard exhaust is of poor quality. You’re bound to get further problems if you persist with it. Just get it replaced. I’ve swapped mine out for a Quicksilver Helmholtz. Much, much better quality. The piping is pretty poor too. If you just want to replace the muffler I’d get someone to do the lot from the mid-pipe onwards.
The QS resonator sounds pretty darn nice, but I would like something a bit quieter I guess. Am talking to a shop about doing an axle-back, maybe with Vibrant Performance's part # 10633, side inlet, split dual outlet, straight-through/perforated, transverse, universal stainless-steel oval muffler (seems to be for turbo fours). It's spec'd 6" x 10" x 24", and after some rough measurements, looks like it could fit (with about 2" extra on each side, I think; ½" extra top & bottom).
Much appreciated Alfanut's picture of the OEM muffler posted on a different thread. If @Alfanut happens to know overall dimensions of actual muffler, would really appreciate some real numbers. Made estimates through the rear grill. Best measurement was getting at exhaust pipe near the tip with calipers, measured 2.04" OD. Also, might @4Canada happen to know something of Vibrant's reputation? Would much appreciate hearing anything about that. Thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
The QS resonator sounds pretty darn nice, but I would like something a bit quieter I guess. Am talking to a shop about doing an axle-back, maybe with Vibrant Performance's part # 10633, side inlet, split dual outlet, straight-through/perforated, transverse, universal stainless-steel oval muffler (seems to be for turbo fours). It's spec'd 6" x 10" x 24", and after some rough measurements, looks like it could fit (with about 2" extra on each side, I think; ½" extra top & bottom).
Much appreciated Alfanut's picture of the OEM muffler posted on a different thread. If @Alfanut happens to know overall dimensions of actual muffler, would really appreciate some real numbers. Made estimates through the rear grill. Best measurement was getting at exhaust pipe near the tip with calipers, measured 2.04" OD. Also, might @4Canada happen to know something of Vibrant's reputation? Would much appreciate hearing anything about that. Thanks to all.
I just got back from our small family getaway up the coast. I’ll do some measuring of the muffler for you in the next day or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from our small family getaway up the coast. I’ll do some measuring of the muffler for you in the next day or so.
Thanks very much for that, it will be helpful I think when talking this over with the shop next week (earliest they could get me in). I'll give an update on how the project goes, it could help give another option to others who face the muffler issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Thanks very much for that, it will be helpful I think when talking this over with the shop next week (earliest they could get me in). I'll give an update on how the project goes, it could help give another option to others who face the muffler issue.
Got called in to work today so haven’t had a chance to do what was promised. Track day with an early 4AM wake-up tomorrow so it’ll have to be on the weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts