Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 4C
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been done to death but I’m a newbie :) first week of ownership and loving my car. Done 350 miles and gaining confidence. Apparently my car has the race exhaust and suspension and 18/19 wheels.

It does feel very lively to me (Not as bad as some of the ridiculous reviews) and would love to make it easier to live with. I know Alfaworks do a suspension mod. I can see it already has wheel spacers front and rear.

Is there an easy way of telling if the suspension has already been changed or if it still has the race setup? Car is due to be booked into Alfaworks for the 36k (3 year, actual mileage 13k)

Thanks in advance, look forward to being part of the community.

942B5D8B-78C4-46B8-A648-B5B8D76207CB.jpeg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Very interesting bumper , what does the rest lools like

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Which tyres have you got on, switching from the pzeros to Michelin stops the tramming.

Looks like your bumper has been colour coded to your car?

·
Registered
Alfa 4C
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which tyres have you got on, switching from the pzeros to Michelin stops the tramming.

Looks like your bumper has been colour coded to your car?
Hi yes the bumper is colour coded to the car, not original but personally I like how it changes the look of the car

·
Super Moderator
6,774 Posts
Apologies if this has been done to death but I’m a newbie :) first week of ownership and loving my car. Done 350 miles and gaining confidence. Apparently my car has the race exhaust and suspension and 18/19 wheels.

It does feel very lively to me (Not as bad as some of the ridiculous reviews) and would love to make it easier to live with. I know Alfaworks do a suspension mod. I can see it already has wheel spacers front and rear.

Is there an easy way of telling if the suspension has already been changed or if it still has the race setup? Car is due to be booked into Alfaworks for the 36k (3 year, actual mileage 13k)

Thanks in advance, look forward to being part of the community.

View attachment 107911 View attachment 107911
Have a look at the front wheel well area. Do you see any nicely coloured anodised blocks that look like any of these?.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have two sets of wheels, one with original P Zeros, one with Michelin Pilots, whole world of difference, I like both feels but the Michelins are for one handed driving with your arm out of the window (its so stable and straight) !!

·
Registered
Alfa 4C
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a look at the front wheel well area. Do you see any nicely coloured anodised blocks that look like any of these?.....
Thanks Alfanut, I think I’ve located the part, certainly not anodised and if you look closely has a sticker/barcode on it. Looks quite factory to me. So if previous owner and seller telling the truth I believe this should be a factory fitted race suspension package

bearing that in mind do you think I would notice a big improvement by going for the £450 alfaworks solution? It’s

·
Registered
94 Posts
The 'Race' suspension from Alfa is different shocks/springs/roll bars.

AlfaWorks offer a series (Road/Intermediate/Race) of blocks/shims which are basically a pre-set alignment for the front caster/camber. From the factory the cars had very little Caster which leads to the rather darty steering. The AW blocks address this in various degrees, Road adding the most Caster but least Camber and Race being the opposite of that. It will not affect the ride of the car, but the steering will be much better.

·
Registered
Alfa 4C
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 'Race' suspension from Alfa is different shocks/springs/roll bars.

AlfaWorks offer a series (Road/Intermediate/Race) of blocks/shims which are basically a pre-set alignment for the front caster/camber. From the factory the cars had very little Caster which leads to the rather darty steering. The AW blocks address this in various degrees, Road adding the most Caster but least Camber and Race being the opposite of that. It will not affect the ride of the car, but the steering will be much better.
That’s really helpful thanks for explaining Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’d recommend the intermediate setup if you do any track/fast road driving, I have Road and personally find the lack of front camber a bit understeery.

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
43 Posts
I’d recommend the intermediate setup if you do any track/fast road driving, I have Road and personally find the lack of front camber a bit understeery.
I second what Chris said. I just installed Intermediate blocks and four alignment shims under each lower block to add camber. I was very happy with how this transformed the car. With the additional caster the car is no longer driving me—it doesn’t tram-line and go hunting for the ditches... Best thing I have done—DO IT 🙂

Also, congratulations on owning the fastest color!!!

·
Registered
Alfa 4C
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I second what Chris said. I just installed Intermediate blocks and four alignment shims under each lower block to add camber. I was very happy with how this transformed the car. With the additional caster the car is no longer driving me—it doesn’t tram-line and go hunting for the ditches... Best thing I have done—DO IT 🙂

Thanks both of you for the advice. Can’t wait to make it a bit easier to love with on the road!

·
Registered
94 Posts

What alignment did you end up with? My Road blocks are -4deg Caster, 0 Camber. Interested how much caster the Intermediates lose.

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
Congratulations on the car and welcome to the forum!

I think that you have most of your answers already.

And quite honestly, if you are going to Alfa Workshop then you are in excellent hands. Jamie will get you sorted. Your picture would suggest that this car still has the stock suspension attachment blocks installed. Jamie's "blocks" (as explained above, machined to provide an alignment in a tin) offer a change in castor and camber that allow for more stable handling. From there, how you set the toe in front and behind can radically change the car. Ask his advice and don't be shy to tell him what you like or don't like, how you use the car, and what you expect from it. Tires will also have a significant effect on the stability of the car (as will even tire pressure - sorry, "tyre" pressure :) ). The Pirellis seem to be pretty bad compared to Michelins and Continentals.

The factory "race" suspension is, as mentioned, a different set of shocks and thicker swaybars. There is not (from most people) a lot of difference on the road between this and the factory "sport" suspension. However, at very high "G" lateral loads, the kind you may experience on track, the "sport" version tends to corner like a torpedoed battleship whereas the stock one is flatter in the turns.

If you get into tracking your car on sticky tires (or any other form of performance driving pushing the limits), then you may want to consider replacing the rear rubber bushings (where the McPherson arms attach to the chassis) with a more solid joint as offered by Alfa Workshop or Gale Motorsports. That takes some of the passive rear steering out of the car, but IMO is only an issue when pushing quite hard laterally.

Say Hi to Jamie for us, and tell him to get back on the forum!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts