Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spider is not a daily drive and it’s often out on good ☀ sunny days! I know many people use this as their daily drive, for me it is more of an enjoyable toy car + collectible. This is my first 4c and I’m new to any Alfa vehicles. With my vehicle being under 600 miles since 2016, I’m curious with everyone else’s feedback on the vehicle! The most common question I get asked [other than what type and kind of car is it? Lol] is if the vehicle‘s reliability when reaching high mileage and the maintenance.
I have the extended warranty also. How do you think the car will hold up on high mileage, the maintenance towards the car currently along with future and will it remain durable.
I know answers varies on the type of driver and what the vehicle is used for, of course. But id just like to see everyone’s feedback with their circumstances and expectations along with future predictions. Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
5,505 Posts
It’s mechanically solid. Service it as per the book, don’t skip or skimp on items and it should last a long, long time. I have faith in Alfa as my Sud is 45yo now and still without the need of an engine rebuild, my 147 is 18yo and the same goes for it. Just replace the wear and tear items as required by time or wear. Mine gets kept under a cover in my garage, so the only time it sees sun is on a drive or when it’s being cleaned (but that happens in the shade). Just don’t crash it.

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
The 4C has proven to be pretty much bullet proof and reliable. Of course there are the outliers but compared to many other sports cars it does very well. It is also a fairly simple car so that helps. There have been several surveys of owners in first three years of ownership and of different brands and models over large samples. I have a few of these saved on my computer. The ALFA 4C is near the top as far as least problem areas. Generally there are a couple of Japanese and Korean cars at the top but ALFA has consistently been in 4th or 5th place and in a couple of them beat out Honda. Porsche, BMW, Jag, Mercedes are far down the list. I kept a 1970 ALFA Duetto for over 40 years and loved it and would still have it if I had more garage space.
Service and maintenance costs are not Chevrolet or Ford cheap but far cheaper than Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jag,, Mercedes which are a lot more expensive in comparison. One other advantage is consumables.....since it is a light car it doesn't go through tires, brake pads, like some other sports cars and gets great gas mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is really awesome to hear!! How many miles do you put on your 4c per year averagely? Also do you recommend getting the oil changed yearly even if it is not being driven often?
In a 4c, what has been a common issue for new owners within the first few years if anyone knows? Thanks for all the information and being so helpful!

·
Super Moderator
5,505 Posts
That is really awesome to hear!! How many miles do you put on your 4c per year averagely? Also do you recommend getting the oil changed yearly even if it is not being driven often?
In a 4c, what has been a common issue for new owners within the first few years if anyone knows? Thanks for all the information and being so helpful!
Had mine since new. About 6,500km average per year. Change the oil regardless of limited km. Read the handbook and become familiar with it especially regarding what is replaced and when. Don’t skip or skimp on servicing. The only issue I’ve had is a rear loose shock absorber mount bolt. That’s it. Just fiddled with camber and toe settings and had an Alfaworks ecu and Helmholtz exhaust and full Suntek paint protection film fitted. For once in my life precisely the right Alfa at precisely the right time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You remove body panels for bolt tightening. Blame any misaligned panels on the service techs at your dealership, not Modena. Mine are great.
Nothing to do with misaligned panels. I'm talking about the overall built quality (interior and finish) of the car. It is subpar compared to what Porsche does for example. I don't understand why Alfa decided to design such a masterpiece and then put these flimsy climate control knobs and that 90's stereo. No excuses. Now, let's not start talking about the quality of the paint.

·
Super Moderator
5,505 Posts
Simple. Lightness. So long as it’s functional. The concept is raw, barebones performance with the style (almost) of a 33 Stradale. It amuses me so many buy this unique masterpiece then turn it into something like everything else with all the familiar modern touches, losing some of that uniqueness. Super stereo, reverse camera, phone connectivity. None of those things are needed. After 4 years I still don’t listen to the stereo while driving. How does a stereo improve being at one with your 4C? It’s a distraction. Never noticed the aircon knobs as they simply perform a function. I would touch them maybe for a total of 10seconds on any drive and certainly don’t spend any time looking down there. Nobody mentions those lovely horseshoe toggles. Light, stylish and functional. Ultimately this car was a one-off, not the result of 40 years of constant development. It was designed to occupy a very special niche for Alfisti. Alfa could have put unique switch gear, controls, mirrors etc and turn it into a poseurs delight but they wanted to keep down costs and weight. I’m thankful they did. It might have kept those less interested in the driving experience away too. (a good thing). If unhappy about knobs you can buy aftermarket but I bet they weigh more.;)
Nothing to do with misaligned panels. I'm talking about the overall built quality (interior and finish) of the car. It is subpar compared to what Porsche does for example. I don't understand why Alfa decided to design such a masterpiece and then put these flimsy climate control knobs and that 90's stereo. No excuses. Now, let's not start talking about the quality of the paint.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Also do you recommend getting the oil changed yearly even if it is not being driven often?
This question is concerning.

You change the oil yearly, regardless of distance driven (kilometers or miles). Oil gets contaminated with fuel, water and other byproducts of combustion, plus dirt (for lack of a better term).

You definitely change the oil to fresh oil before storing the car for a winter season, for example. And you definitely change it at least once per year.

The mindset of less than one oil change per year alone is an issue: If you're considering making exceptions to the most basic of basic maintenance schedules, what else are you thinking about skipping?

Like other high-performance, track capable sports cars, the biggest enemy is the owner, not the builder. Drive it hard. Follow the maintenance schedules, and pay attention to the unique quirks every brand/model has. For 25 years of being on message or bulletin boards for high-end cars, the thing I've noticed is that the garage queen cars and their owners are the trouble. "Can I skip an annual oil change? "What kind of mileage are you getting??" "Let's debate waxes and polishes"

·
Registered
193 Posts
Drive a couple of Porsches and have driven dozens.
I don't get why everyone complains about the audio system. Sure it is garbage but given the nature of the car, who cares?

It keeps coming up again and again but I really don't care in this context (ultra light sports car). I would be completely fine if they didn't have an audio system at all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like other high-performance, track capable sports cars, the biggest enemy is the owner, not the builder. Drive it hard. Follow the maintenance schedules, and pay attention to the unique quirks every brand/model has.
THIS! Let it warm up and then don't be afraid to drive it hard. They are meant to be driven hard.

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
Since I have two other cars that are daily drivers and I put the 4C in hibernation in Winter here in Michigan, my mileage is not that high....about 4000 miles a year. I do recommend changing the oil and filter every year. Other than that stick to the recommended service for cam belt, bolt tightening service, etc.
I saw Samys comments and can't agree. The stereo is not an issue for me....it is good enough for the purpose of the car. And the interior layout is fine with me. I hate the push to touch screen and menus cars are going to today. I like simple user friendly controls like knobs and toggle switches....like we have in the 4C. Every car is different but mine had perfect panel alignment and paint was flawless. It is a bit soft but many cars today have the same issue....that is a reoccurring issue on some Japanese cars. That is easily taken care of with PPF and some ceramic coat.
I also recommend that you don't make your car a garage queen. Cars like ours need regular exercise. I have noticed that the cars that tend to have issues ARE those that are garage queens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the car in to get the Suntek protective film put on the rest of the car where it was not previously covered and the techs were so crazy over the vehicle saying it feels like a light car. I’m like yep, super light. I think the quality built is great for trying to get it as light as they can while remaining the “exotic” body feel. There has to be a lot of pockets for air to perform.
I don’t have the problem with the radio and the interior knobs because it remains timeless.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This question is concerning.

You change the oil yearly, regardless of distance driven (kilometers or miles). Oil gets contaminated with fuel, water and other byproducts of combustion, plus dirt (for lack of a better term).

You definitely change the oil to fresh oil before storing the car for a winter season, for example. And you definitely change it at least once per year.

The mindset of less than one oil change per year alone is an issue: If you're considering making exceptions to the most basic of basic maintenance schedules, what else are you thinking about skipping?

Like other high-performance, track capable sports cars, the biggest enemy is the owner, not the builder. Drive it hard. Follow the maintenance schedules, and pay attention to the unique quirks every brand/model has. For 25 years of being on message or bulletin boards for high-end cars, the thing I've noticed is that the garage queen cars and their owners are the trouble. "Can I skip an annual oil change? "What kind of mileage are you getting??" "Let's debate waxes and polishes"
I’m not trying to skip a yearly oil change but just curious of what others do. I’m a firm believer of providing proper oil changes because why treasure and baby the 4c but skip on oil changes? Nope.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drive a couple of Porsches and have driven dozens.

I don't get why everyone complains about the audio system. Sure it is garbage but given the nature of the car, who cares?

It keeps coming up again and again but I really don't care in this context (ultra light sports car). I would be completely fine if they didn't have an audio system at all.
If someone is so concerned about a audio system, they should enjoy the audio in a different vehicle. I also don’t even play music in my 4c. The sound of the engine is the music when driving it. I do like the fact that it’s kept simple because my focus isn’t the radio system when in this car.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts