Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
15 Madreperla white/red, BMW 1M, 996 Turbo, 69 Datsun 2000, 17 STI, 04 Baja Turbo, 89 Trooper RS
108 Posts
@tibby I can’t seem to navigate their website. Of course not understanding Italian may be my issue, haha. Can you tell if they flash the oem ecu or if it’s a piggyback tune?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@tibby I can’t seem to navigate their website. Of course not understanding Italian may be my issue, haha. Can you tell if they flash the oem ecu or if it’s a piggyback tune?
The ecu will be flashed. Guess you need to send the ecu to them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The website has no English option.
I was hoping that there might be a simpler way of doing it.
I've tuned my Porsches without sending the ECU.
The tuner sends a ODBC reader and a file.
Pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The website has no English option.
I was hoping that there might be a simpler way of doing it.
I've tuned my Porsches without sending the ECU.
The tuner sends a ODBC reader and a file.
Pretty straightforward.
I use google translate :)

I 'll contact them to ask for some info(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me too. :)
The whole website was translated to English perfectly.
I sent them inquiry. I am hoping that sending ECU won't be necessary. Too much risk.
Do you guys know of any other tuner who does a good job without a need to send ECU?

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
Me too. :)
The whole website was translated to English perfectly.
I sent them inquiry. I am hoping that sending ECU won't be necessary. Too much risk.
Do you guys know of any other tuner who does a good job without a need to send ECU?
Hi Mimi. There is a tuner in the GTA that has done it. I just need to find them again.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car!

EDIT: If you want a tune-it-yourself device like the one you show, or Hondata for Honda, then you need to go for a Race ECU from Alfa Workshop in the UK. Then you can change parameters. These come up used here from time to time.

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
Found it @Mimi_tuce
AMT Tuning in Vaughan.

A former member (sold his 4C this spring) used them in 2016.

You can also go the more conventional route and purchase a second, tuned ECU from vendors like Alfa9 Supply, Madness Autoworks, or Euro Compulsion in the US or Alfa Workshop (UK) or Pogea Racing (Germany). There are others, less well known. These are hard-coded, stand-alone tunes and swapping the ECU from/to stock takes less than 5 minutes using only an M10 socket.

If you find a used one of these, then it has to go back to the tuner to be reset before use in your vehicle. Not true of the “Race ECU” from Alfa Workshop, as I understand it.

There are also piggyback tunes available, but they are less popular it seems.

Of course, there are likely other tuners who have cracked this nut by now, but the GTA one might be convenient for your location.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
Most of the tunes for a 4C are done by remapping a stock ECU. Once done the issue is that if you want to sell your car or register it in another area (state here in the US), you will often have to go through a smog check and the machine may recognize that it isn't the stock one. Therefore users will get an additional ECU with the tuned map and keep the stock one for later sale of the car or registration issues. Note that any tuned ECU is listed for "off road/competition use only" here in the US. ECUs are bonded with the specific car VIN# it is installed in so while you can sell a tuned ECU to another car owner, they will have to go to a tuner to remove the VIN lock and it will than bond with their car VIN at first use. You can swap stock and tuned ECUs back and forth with no problem since both are bonded to the same car VIN.

·
Premium Member
15 Madreperla white/red, BMW 1M, 996 Turbo, 69 Datsun 2000, 17 STI, 04 Baja Turbo, 89 Trooper RS
108 Posts
INCREASE POWER
+35 hp (+ 15%), TORQUE INCREASE
+54 Nm (+ 15%). € 550.00 + VAT
PROMO € 275.00 + VAT

$311 USD, as long as the sale lasts. DHL is pretty fair and fast, so if it’s an ECU flash there is no better price anywhere. I wonder if they did the tune in-house or outsourced it. Im waiting for your inquiry responses with great anticipation.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INCREASE POWER
PROMO € 275.00 + VAT

$311 USD, as long as the sale lasts. DHL is pretty fair and fast, so if it’s an ECU flash there is no better price anywhere. I wonder if they did the tune in-house or outsourced it. Im waiting for your inquiry responses with great anticipation.
Some info about them.....Think they do tuning inhouse ;)

Reactions: roadsterdoc

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
INCREASE POWER
PROMO € 275.00 + VAT

My answer from RomeoFerraris!

Dear Mr. Vandersmissen,
thank you for your email, to answer your questions:

-Do i need to send my ecu to you? Or do you need the whole car on the dyno? (I'm from Belgium) For the stage 1 (ecu remapping) we need the ecu here.
-It's a safe tune, not to harsh for the transmission? Yes, only 98+ ron fuel must be used
-How long does the discount stay for this tune? The promo ended on Friday, I reserve the 50% discount for you until tomorrow.

For other questions please let us know.

Best Regards

Ing. Paolo Stuani
Email: [email protected]
Automotive lighting Font Visual effect lighting Electric blue Magenta

Romeo Ferraris s.r.l.
Via Lambro 33
20073 OPERA MI – Italy
Tel: +39 02 57601636/3024
Fax +39 02 57605308
www.romeoferraris.com
Cross Font Gas Rectangle Electric blue

Automotive lighting Purple Camera lens Flash photography Digital camera

Automotive lighting Font Gas Electric blue Magenta

Sky Entertainment Gas Electric blue Event

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I received a similar response from Paolo as well and replied with questions about turnaround time, tune options, and useability with future power modifications. Unfortunately I failed to ask about and lock in the sale price! 😩😬 Time to google translate and send another email. 🤪

·
Registered
8 Posts
@tibby and @roadsterdoc .
Thank you guys for your help.
I think l am going to order additional ECU which comes preprogrammed with a tune.
I simply don't feel comfortable talking the original ECU out and sending it to Europe.
Plus, who knows what the turnaround time is.
Ordering another ECU sounds like better idea for multiple reasons.
Plus it's an easy installation.
It is a pity there are no plug and play solutions for this like there are for other cars.
I think it all boils down to rarity of these cars and size of the market for tuners.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've asked to stretch his discount a few days more for the 4C members ....

Hopefully other people chime in????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts