Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@tibby and @roadsterdoc .
Thank you guys for your help.
I think l am going to order additional ECU which comes preprogrammed with a tune.
I simply don't feel comfortable talking the original ECU out and sending it to Europe.
Plus, who knows what the turnaround time is.
Ordering another ECU sounds like better idea for multiple reasons.
Plus it's an easy installation.
It is a pity there are no plug and play solutions for this like there are for other cars.
I think it all boils down to rarity of these cars and size of the market for tuners.
A lot of people do this.... It's common.

·
Premium Member
15 Madreperla white/red, BMW 1M, 996 Turbo, 69 Datsun 2000, 17 STI, 04 Baja Turbo, 89 Trooper RS
151 Posts
I think l am going to order additional ECU which comes preprogrammed…
Where can one buy a stock ECU to ship to them?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Reactions: HeavyFoot

·
Administrator
17,947 Posts
I think l am going to order additional ECU which comes preprogrammed with a tune.
I simply don't feel comfortable talking the original ECU out and sending it to Europe.
Plus, who knows what the turnaround time is.
Plus it's an easy installation.
It is a pity there are no plug and play solutions for this like there are for other cars.
I think it all boils down to rarity of these cars and size of the market for tuners.
The only plug-n-play 'self tuneable" one is the Alfa Workshop RACE ECU, which is different from their tune on a stock ECU (and priced differently too). The former can be programmed, but you need to know what you are doing as there is no fail safe.

Honestly, I think that your choice is a wise one. Trans-Atlantic shipping of an ECU scares me a little. I don't mind ordering one from there, but when it is your only one and needed to run your car, well, the stakes get higher. Also, having your only (stock) ECU tuned means that you need to forever be vigilant that the dealership (if you get them to service) does not accidentally over-write the tune with their own software update. Not overly likely anymore, but you never know.

@tibby - good work on getting the information and the discount!

·
Registered
961 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A lot of people do this.... It's common.
My option (in your case) would be the Alfaworks stage 1 clone ecu)
Why: cheap (for a clone) and Alfaworks is distributor of oem Alfa parts (they can buy cheaper new Bosch ecu's) and this clone is proven to be good (use info on the forum)

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
Rather than sending your stock ECU to them they may be able to get another stock ECU and than charge you for that and the map. That is what EC and some others do. That way you still have a stock ECU for future sale of the car to avoid emission test issues to register the car under a new owner. That would save you the cost of shipping your existing ECU to them and eliminate the worries of it getting damaged or lost in transit.

·
Premium Member
15 Madreperla white/red, BMW 1M, 996 Turbo, 69 Datsun 2000, 17 STI, 04 Baja Turbo, 89 Trooper RS
151 Posts
My option (in your case) would be the Alfaworks stage 1 clone ecu)
Why: cheap (for a clone) and Alfaworks is distributor of oem Alfa parts (they can buy cheaper new Bosch ecu's) and this clone is proven to be good (use info on the forum)
Excellent recommendation. (y)

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Paolo responded to my first email inquiry (in Italian). He hasn’t yet responded to my second email in which I asked about honoring the sale price as told to @tibby.

Did some price comparisons of all the various ECU tuning options I could find. If choosing to buy canned tune (not custom) in a cloned ECU, today’s best deal by far is a new ECU from Alfaworks. The only way to beat that deal is to score an ECU for a couple hundred dollars (€,£,etc) and pay to have it flashed by your tuner of choice.

If you don’t mind having your OEM ecu flashed, most of the vendors are comparably priced. The decision then becomes choosing the software that makes the best sense for you. That is not a subject I’ll attempt at this time. I have a lot to learn before I can discuss the nuances of each option out there.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts