Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marchionne can count on world demand (versus extremely limited production capacity) to fill orders even if U.S. sales are cancelled, so no lost 4C sales...if US sales are too difficult, why sell in US?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/07/alfa-romeos-us-return-chrysler-fiat-deal-video/

A Bloomberg report from last month said that if Chrysler ends up offering an IPO, it could jeopardize the entire alliance between the Auburn Hills-based automaker and Fiat, but the outlet now says that an IPO could crush the dreams of hopeful Alfa Romeo 4C owners in the US. As the latest Bloomberg report indicates, publically traded shares would prevent Fiat from gaining full control of Chrysler. This would leave Fiat without the full access to Chrysler's cash flow, technology and manufacturing necessary to mass produce the new Alfa Romeo sport coupe inexpensively enough to export to the US.

As CEO of both Chrysler and Fiat, this puts Sergio Marchionne is an awkward position as he tries to purchase the remaining shares from the United Auto Workers union. He is tasked with getting the most money possible for Chrysler shareholders while attempting to spend the least money possible on Fiat's behalf. With Marchionne and the UAW still far apart on the value of the remaining 41.5 percent of Chrysler, the IPO would let the market decide the value of the stake while preventing a full merger between the two automakers and possibly leaving the 4C as a limited-production, Europe-only model.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One more reason for me to move to Europe. I wish to God that there was just one set of rules and everyone drove on one side of the road so that we could enjoy all the great cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is assuming that the shares will achieve more in an IPO (less cost of sale) than from a FIAT merger.

Sounds like brinkmanship, cannot see a car manufacturer being a clever investment at the moment, particularly stateside; and cannot see Chrysler being that valuable if FIAT drop the alliance, as they will look a bit rudderless

·
Registered
446 Posts
Guys the comments were taken completely out of context. Marchionne is having a fight with UWA regarding the valuation of their shares so to put pressure on them he is saying that the whole deal (Chrysler / Fiat) could fall apart if they don't merge the 2 companies at a reasonable price....
Don't always take what you read as being the whole truth ;)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Anyone else get the feeling that deppi0 could be an Alfa Romeo mole from HQ? ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Anyone else get the feeling that deppi0 could be an Alfa Romeo mole from HQ? ;)
HAHA I wish Kaliber....means I would be getting my car early :D

Just changed my Cali btw and got a 458 spider to wait for the 4C ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like a pretty desperate act to me too, and hoping markets won't overvalue Chrysler (incredibly, US government has been shut down for over a week and markets have barely budged!) because if they do, I'm afraid Alfa will be the first to go (to VW) and that's if they haven't already shaken hands...

On a completely separate note, need to rent a car from NYC to Boston and have yankee shortlist: Challenger R/T, Mustang Penske GT or Camaro SS - unfortunately all autos - which one is it going to be?!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Camaro SS Dreyfuss it's pretty fun. I have tried the 3 of them from Hertz in NY in the past 12 months and that was the most fun.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Congrats Deppi0. That is a Fantastic car! You know what I love the most, is the fact that you are still so excited over the 4C! Great garage for all of us to aspire to! :thumbs: ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Congrats Deppi0. That is a Fantastic car! You know what I love the most, is the fact that you are still so excited over the 4C! Great garage for all of us to aspire to! :thumbs: ;)
Thanks. I love all sorts of cars from basic simple ones to super cars :)
I am still looking for an old Fiat 500 to replace my new Abarth 500 :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts