Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
A Sad Day for All Race Fans, Niki Lauda was a Natural. I had the Pleasure of watching him have an Epic Battle in the 1977 Long Beach, Ca. Grand Prix ( yes I am Old). 80 Laps, No Pit Stops, nose to tail with Jody Schecker in the Wolf and Mario in the Lotus. Scheckter lead for 78 laps untill a tire started going flat, Mario and Lauda ducked under him on the "Queens Hairpin", where I had Grandstand seats and had a 2 lap race to the Finish. Lauda tried to pass Mario on the Queens Hairpin on the two last laps but couldn't make the Pass. They finished .77 seconds apart. In the Post Race Interview Lauda said it was one of the Greatest Races he had been in and Congratulated Mario. A True Champion. He had AMAZING Car Control, always Smooth and Always ahead of the Car.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,771 Posts
Amazing man and driver....loved his sense of wry humor. Not many people could suffer through those injuries and climb back in the car in such a short time. I always get upset when people try to create a hierarchy of "best" drivers. But he was certainly at the very top level of drivers of all times.

·
Registered
744 Posts
One of racing's good guys, for sure.

Had a pretty poor F1 win-ratio (15%), but still managed to be wily enough to bag 3 titles.

It was his kidneys, not his lungs, that got him in the end.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
One of racing's good guys, for sure.

Had a pretty poor F1 win-ratio (15%), but still managed to be wily enough to bag 3 titles.

It was his kidneys, not his lungs, that got him in the end.
...but you don’t have a complete lung transplant if your originals are tip-top as Lauda had six months ago...I’m thinking anti rejection medication must have weakened his resistance to infection which resulted in his demise. Bloody sad.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts