Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fun! A few thoughts...
  • Your route is especially southern without a lot of named stops down there. If that's the case, consider moving it north and taking I-40 instead of I-20. That will give you the opportunity to do a bunch of Route 66 excursions as I-40 follows the basic route of the mother road past Oklahoma City. It's more scenic. I did that route last year in my 911.
  • Waze and a radar detector are a winning combination. Use both. One or the other isn't enough.
  • West Virginia is awesome, but Virginia itself sucks for driving -- don't do any speeding there, because it has the nastiest speeding laws in the country. I intentionally avoid the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you must drive through Virginia, you have to put away your radar detector. Turning it off isn't enough. If it's easily accessible, they'll ticket you.
  • Hearing protection is essential for long trips in the 4C. You'll be less fatigued. Wearing ear plugs has allowed me to do 300+ mile days in the 4C.
  • If you're doing this with a passenger, consider a battery powered intercom system so that you're not shouting over things for 4k miles.
  • Watch how much you plug into that 4C 12V outlet. Radar detector adapter and one phone are fine, but don't go plugging in one of those three way adapters and going nuts with it.
  • Invest in a tire plug kit. You'll likely never use it and that's okay.
  • You're going to discover that much of the 91/93 that you find in rural areas has been sitting in the tanks for a while. Don't be alarmed if you get some bad tanks of gas that result in rough running. There's not much demand for super in many parts of this country. The gas stations may carry it, but it's probably old.
My apologies if any of this was obvious or redundant for you. Have a blast and adventure in the car!

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
@Maine4C awesome! Glad you're driving it. Not surprising at all though because I know you did this drive a few times in your prior 4C. Can we expect pics of the Tributo along the route? LOL.

In any event, enjoy the journey and safe travels!! (y)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very nice. I purchased my 4C in TX and drove it home to PA which was something of a road trip. I would definitely recommend a light weight jack of sports and a tire plug kit.

I hope you're an efficient folder and lightweight packer!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I imagine Maine4C has reasons for his route. Whether it is places or people to see or a new route he has not taken before. Since John4Csays he has done this drive before I am sure he is well aware of what he needs to do. I don't see a need for earplugs as I have driven 500-600 miles in a day and have not found any fatigue.

Jeff

·
Registered
354 Posts
Are you staying with friends along the way? Looks like you're missing the Dragon in NC? Looks to be an amazing journey. Good for you!

How about the return trip? Shipping the car back or doing the same?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Wow, I am impressed! I did Colorado>NC>DC>NE>Colorado but not in a 4C and in about 9 days... I kind of wish I had done it in the 4C and taken more time...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fun! A few thoughts...
  • Your route is especially southern without a lot of named stops down there. If that's the case, consider moving it north and taking I-40 instead of I-20. That will give you the opportunity to do a bunch of Route 66 excursions as I-40 follows the basic route of the mother road past Oklahoma City. It's more scenic. I did that route last year in my 911.
  • Waze and a radar detector are a winning combination. Use both. One or the other isn't enough.
  • West Virginia is awesome, but Virginia itself sucks for driving -- don't do any speeding there, because it has the nastiest speeding laws in the country. I intentionally avoid the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you must drive through Virginia, you have to put away your radar detector. Turning it off isn't enough. If it's easily accessible, they'll ticket you.
  • Hearing protection is essential for long trips in the 4C. You'll be less fatigued. Wearing ear plugs has allowed me to do 300+ mile days in the 4C.
  • If you're doing this with a passenger, consider a battery powered intercom system so that you're not shouting over things for 4k miles.
  • Watch how much you plug into that 4C 12V outlet. Radar detector adapter and one phone are fine, but don't go plugging in one of those three way adapters and going nuts with it.
  • Invest in a tire plug kit. You'll likely never use it and that's okay.
  • You're going to discover that much of the 91/93 that you find in rural areas has been sitting in the tanks for a while. Don't be alarmed if you get some bad tanks of gas that result in rough running. There's not much demand for super in many parts of this country. The gas stations may carry it, but it's probably old.
My apologies if any of this was obvious or redundant for you. Have a blast and adventure in the car!
(IMG)
I don't know much about the US and especially road tripping across the States, but I found this reply most interesting.
I have heard horror stories from Virginia myself, and such things are all too well known to me (my 4C lives in Switzerland, where speeding is also frowned upon to the extreme).
Regarding the ear plugs: my very ruined hearing is the main reason why I wanted the Akrapovic on my car. The muffled setting on it sounds pleasant while being not too loud at all. Sure, I would recommend some plugs if he wants to drive in Dynamic for long stretches. I would have so much preferred a separated toggle for the Akra valves, I will probably fashion something in that direction for myself.
Finally, thank you so much for the picture of your beautiful 911. I know, we are on an Alfa forum... but should you find the time, would you mind sharing with us some more pics of it on trips? I would love a 911 in my garage, but it's a bit of a "difficult" car to be seen in here where I live. Hopefully some day in the future!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Looks like your going through Phoenix/Scottsdale. If time ..... lets meet.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
@Maine4C , I applaud you, because if I had a nickel for every time I wanted to punch someone for not driving their precious car, I'd be on FerrariChat telling them how I piled on 2500 miles in a week in my new Ferrari, so they could all have heart palpitations. It'd be worth it, just to troll them.

I have so many road trip stories, and none of them start with "Let me tell you about this time I washed my car and pushed it back into the garage..."

That being said, get back in here and update this damned thread! WTF are you doing -- DRIVING?! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
302 Posts
It won’t matter much if my car has appreciated because it has low mileage, if I am taking the dirt nap. Every time I start it up, it’s an adventure. A long solo road trip is one of my 4C goals. Nothing like a turbo motor on the continental divide. Next year gonna go to Glacier NP before the glaciers are completely gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WIcked good question. Actually awesome. OK, I think the new seats are worse than my old 4C, but I got a cheap seat cushion and it made all the difference in the world. It looks like crap, but honestly it totally works. No back issues at all!Cushion

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
WIcked good question. Actually awesome. OK, I think the new seats are worse than my old 4C, but I got a cheap seat cushion and it made all the difference in the world. It looks like crap, but honestly it totally works. No back issues at all!Cushion
If you don't mind me asking how so? were your previous all leather? Fabric?
TIA
Curious about this as well actually. His previous ones were red leather I think (I know who owns his old one). Was it the tilt angle though? I find the microfiber seats slightly more comfortable (simply because they hold you in place better and stay cooler) but overall comfort it's the same seat.

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
302 Posts
Good idea on the seat cover for longer trips. Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts