Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows anything about this? Any comments? Also, what do you think will happen to the 4C demand/value if it comes right away & how will others compare the two vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
You said it all in the title. "Rumours".

There is nothing in the FCA-released product plan of less than 6 months ago. That was a document given to shareholders.

Since then, there's been an announcement of merger talks with Peugeot, which probably will not amount to a proper deal for another 12 months or so. AFTER that shakes out, then the companies will be free to start looking for synergies in product lines and distribution networks. At that point, there might be some serious changes to product plans.

For the time being, be happy with the cars they have, and expect Tonale to join the lineup as a 2021 model year hybrid or plug-in. And perhaps the announcement of the proposed B-segment utility vehicle.

That doesn't preclude a concept vehicle or two being released - but nothing planned for production any time soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would most people compare Maserati and Alfa other than production factories? I guess this question is subjective but I’d just like others point of views on this topic since Maserati was brought up.

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
In my lifetime Maser have been more about sporty luxo 2 and 4dr GT barges whereas Alfas have been generally smaller and genuinely sportier. I realise if you go back further Alfa had some models that were at the supreme top end of the scale, but there were very few 8Cs available to the world. You could count the entire production on your fingers and toes. So when people call for Alfa to go back to those prewar days only the 8Cs were ultra exclusive. These days Maser is still seen as the more up-market marque due to mass ignorance and the recent (my lifetime) market positioning of their products. As much as it disgusts me, FCA are probably correct in their anticipation of achieving more profit per vehicle with Maserati. Whether they can attract the numbers is another thing. Aligning Maser with Ferrari with their engines has been great success. To change that would be disastrous.
That being said, the Maserati based Alfa 8C showed how an Alfa can trump Maserati....they should have spent a little more money on the alloy cam cover mouldings and had Alfa Romeo emblazoned on them rather than Maserati. I’m somewhat blinkered in my view of Alfa and Maserati. I see Alfa as the more sportier marque and the way FCA should be presenting it to the world. So yes, that new expected sports Maser with the carbon tub should be an Alfa....and hire a new advertising agency. They need to educate and inform. There’s too much appealing to the emotions BS, and not many are buying it. Now what was the question, again?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agree with you @Alfanut. But with new problems at hand, I again am confronted with the official dealerships, where even in Europe things are as bad as they get...
When I read the Belgian Alfa Romeo forum, owners want an Alfa like they have (MiTo, Giulietta, ...) and don't want to pay premium money for their car.
At the same time, Alfa Romeo and even more Maserati dealers are simply not ready for the premium market. They don't offer maintenance contracts like the Germans do, which are needed if you want to compete with them.
Alfa will have to choose: 1) continue with affordable cars like they did, and continu with the 200.000 customers they had a few years ago. Or 2) try to go for premium, but that will mean 2.1) find new customers and 2.2) live with less than 200k, left alone the dream of 400.000 customers.
Maybe they can try to go for the top again, but what with the big factories behind them, and what if that fails again...

On the other hand (for what the article is worth):
Alfa Romeo gets prominent role after FCA-PSA merger

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sport coupe and sedan market is down and will likely never come back. The market is evolving but EV will stay and gas combustion will be relegated to the back burner. In the next 15 years +, most of the cars will be driven via AI.
Enjoy your gas-powered cars while you still can.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i have a soft spot for both Maserati and Alfa but both have suffered from too little R& D money for the last 60 years and poor management decisions. Lets be honest, the new mid engine car makes more sense as a Maserati since Maserati has a history of volume production (at least for Maserati standards) mid engine cars from 50 years ago with the Bora and Merak. Alfa does not have the history of production mid engine cars like Maserati (the Stadale 33 is not a mass production car in any stretch of the imagination) which makes our 4C's so special. People bash Maserati these days for being too volume oriented and to a point they are correct but all manufacturers need volume to survive. Maserati needs to build some very special cars to complement their volume cars to keep/improve their perceived exotic image.Like Porsche and Mercedes. Hopefully this new mid engine car will be the start of special vehicles for Maserati. People also forget that Maserati was a more premium and desirable vehicle up to the mid 70's over Ferrari as Maserati's were more expensive compared to a similar Ferrari, As for another days discussion, Alfa has been hurt for too long being special bodied fiats and even though Maserati has survived into the 21th century due to Ferrari's help it was never allowed to spread it wings and complete at a higher level because Ferrari would not approve of the competition from it's in house sister. This new mid engine car might change all of that from the specs that are coming out..

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
All that I can say is that they better get it right the first time. Because the inevitable comparison will be to the bargain basement Corvette C8 (especially the higher performance variants of that, which will be available by that time).

If Maserati cannot knock this one out of the park, they're going to be a laughing stock. Probably between 2 and 3x the purchase price of the Vette, likely with a better interior but also the perception of Italian unreliability and Maserati repair costs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts