Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a post about this my tracking that mentions this. But I thought it was important for everyone to know even if they don't track their car.

And when I first got my car I had CEL lights and the dreaded Christmas tree of death lights come on just doing normal driving.

Anyway this inexpensive scan tool today turned off my constant not able to clear CEL light that was also making my car run horrible like it had a fouled spark plug and also kept it stuck in natural mode. I now plan on keeping it in my car all the time.

Is the Foxwell NT510 scan tool that I bought on Amazon for $180. Considering how often you get weird error lights on this car I think it would pay for itself not having to drive to the dealership.

And I was at the road course tracking yesterday and I had to leave early because I drove my car hard in natural mode by mistake for about 10 minutes and that apparently caused these error messages as the car was constantly throwing traction control and other nannies at me. And I was dumb and didn't realize I was a natural mode until after about 10 minutes of tracking the car hard. If I would've had this tool with me I could've cleared the codes and been back on the road tracking in 10 minutes.

Today my car had five bad codes. It cleared all of them except the transmission TCM module. But I think that is on all the time for some weird reason and my transmission has always worked just fine. But I might try to clear it again with this tool and if it doesn't then next time at the dealer I'll see if they can clear it.

Here's a photo of the tool and also of the error codes I had that it cleared.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Thanks Tom for the find. I ordered this.
Since i disconnected my airbags, now i have the airbag lights that need reset.
My regular cheaper OBDII reader does not have the airbag reset functions.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

FYI before I learned how to reset the oil change message using the sequence of gas and brake pedal stomping, I tried using this scan tool and it seemed to have a "service reminder" reset or something like that. And it did not work to reset the oil change message. Maybe it was to reset the service interval message. And as I said it did not reset the transmission TCM fault but my transmission works fine and it it might have had that message all the time. But it did reset the other four messages and it made my car run normal again. That was a scary thing when it was idling really rough and was running like it had a fouled spark plug. I was really pleased when it cleared the fault right away and my car ran great again.

Anyway the point being it might not reset everything as well as the $2000 plus scan tools.

I hope it works for you on the airbags Doc.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If the air bags are disconnected, you won't be able to reset the system and turn the light off.

Unless, you've installed appropriately sized resistors in place of the air bags to trick the system into thinking the air bags are there.

This, of course, is for off road and track use ONLY.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If the air bags are disconnected, you won't be able to reset the system and turn the light off.

Unless, you've installed appropriately sized resistors in place of the air bags to trick the system into thinking the air bags are there.

This, of course, is for off road and track use ONLY.
'For off-road or track use ONLY'...
Is this a 'legal disclaimer' to keep DMV happy (the 'no airbags' part... then forgive my slow sense of humor), or do you mean the scanner itself presents technical 'issues' wich may pop up with long term daily driving???

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
And I was at the road course tracking yesterday and I had to leave early because I drove my car hard in natural mode by mistake for about 10 minutes and that apparently caused these error messages as the car was constantly throwing traction control and other nannies at me. And I was dumb and didn't realize I was a natural mode until after about 10 minutes of tracking the car hard. If I would've had this tool with me I could've cleared the codes and been back on the road tracking in 10 minutes.
I have done the same mistake, went on the Nordschleife in Naturale and three corners in I was sure my engine was in some limp mode or something, then I realised I was in the wrong mode...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
No, my OEM airbags are still there....lol.
I just had to disconnect the steering wheel to swap out my rewrapped steering wheel and then reconnect.
I also had my passenger seat out all winter and reconnected the harnesses.
This is why i need to reset airbag lights, not because i removed them.... :)

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had to disconnect the steering wheel to swap out my rewrapped steering wheel and then reconnect.

That's how I read your post. I never thought you were crazy enough to take your airbags out of a car driven on public streets.

Yeah let us know if it works.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry, my bad.

But given your propensity for CF upgrades, I thought maybe you installed the CF door panels that were discussed here not too long ago, which would eliminate the side air bags.

The tool wouldn't care nor would the DMV if you had installed resistors in their places. Just not sure what would happen with the other air bags in case of an accident if one or more were bypassed.

Hence my comment for off road and/or track use, not to mention the potential liability of posting instructions online of how to defeat certain systems, safety to otherwise so this purely a hypothetical discussion :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,974 Posts
Nice tool...but wondering why your car threw the codes when in Natural. I would think it shouldn't make any difference what mode you were driving in other than it would be more agressive with the Nannies. Has anyone else had this happen in Natural. Also wondering if it will continue to happen in D mode or R mode on your car. If so that could indicate that the tire size difference was out of spec. I know you didn't get this before but you have changed tires size, etc. quite a bit from last season. I don't plan on seeing if this happens on my car...only run it in D or R mode when doing hard driving.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice tool...but wondering why your car threw the codes when in Natural. I would think it shouldn't make any difference what mode you were driving in other than it would be more agressive with the Nannies. Has anyone else had this happen in Natural. Also wondering if it will continue to happen in D mode or R mode on your car. If so that could indicate that the tire size difference was out of spec. I know you didn't get this before but you have changed tires size, etc. quite a bit from last season. I don't plan on seeing if this happens on my car...only run it in D or R mode when doing hard driving.

Yes I really like that tool now too I'm keeping it with me in the car all the time. Guess I need another storage compartment built! Geez! No really it's pretty small it's not too bad to carry. But this car has thrown codes more then the other car I've ever owned. And not from tracking, just regular driving. Usually they just go away on their own and they're not much of a serious problem but the one at the track certainly was.

It's no way my tires as my tires are square but they are 25" tall which is exactly in the middle of the difference in stock tire heights of 24.5 and 25.5. Simple tire wear it could account for that small difference.

No it was something else. If you put your car in natural mode and track it very hard you will be blown away how much your car shakes and shimmies from all the nannies the computer is throwing at it. It feels like your tires or brake pads are rubbing hard and shaking your car all around.

I knew instantly something was wrong but I was guessing it was my tires rubbing on my car that was making my car shake or brakes or something else. That morning I was just out of it at first and I should've noticed the traction control lights flashing and realized it was a natural mode a lot sooner. I think I drove the car in natural mode at least 5 to 10 minutes before I realized it.

And when I put it into dynamic mode it immediately ran normally and I sighed a big relief. But soon after that a big cloud of black smoke came out of my exhaust. Never had anything like that happen before. I really think driving the car in natural mode that hard with the all the nannies kicking in caused the motor to retard ignition or something that caused a build up a bunch of carbon or gas. My car ran great after I put it in dynamic mode for a good 30-40 minutes normally (that's what you see in my video) but then for no reason other than me stopping and turning off the car at a gas station to fill up, That is when my car lost about 25% of its power and started sputtering and I thought I fouled a spark plug.

And no it wasn't the gas I put in my car as my car runs great now on that same tank fill. And I had filled up earlier from that same gas station.

When it lost the power the car idled really rough and actually turned itself off once as it wouldn't even idle without giving it a little bit of gas every now and then. It was scary stuff but the motor sounded normal other than running really bad I didn't think it was something internal.

It's possible it could be my new downtube and high flow cat that combined with me driving it hard in natural mode that caused this. But I'm pretty sure I won't drive a natural mode hard anymore Ns will recognize it right away so I don't think this is going to happen again.

Try driving your car hard in natural mode at the track and you will be amazed at how much different it is for nannies kicking in compared to dynamic mode. Night and day!

I drive my car in natural mode quite a bit on the road and I thought it let you do a lot. But it truly only lets you do a lot for acceleration only and any time you try turning the car hard is when it really kicks in The traction control and whatever all else it does.

Really if you wanted to let someone borrow your car on the track and make sure they didn't drive it hard, leave it natural mode as it won't let them!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Is the Foxwell NT510 scan tool that I bought on Amazon for $180. Considering how often you get weird error lights on this car I think it would pay for itself not having to drive to the dealership.
Thank you for posting the exact description from Amazon.
It allowed me to search the forum, and then search Amazon and order the exact model.
It will arrive this week.

We need a couple extra Smilies that could have added to this thread.
a thumbs up
2 Beer Mugs touching
or a hugging smiley
:grin2:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
So I got this tool and checked it out.

It has the latest version of the software

When I select the Fiat Icon -> Alfa
I get the following choices
1. System Tests
2. Model Tests
3. 2001 Giulietta / 2013 4C

Is that what you guys also see?
I would think that is outdated by 3 years

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well, it seems to work pretty well, even if the display does not show the proper year. I am actually very impressed with how crisp the letters are. I will have to see if this will fit in that little cubby between the seats.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,974 Posts
I have the same Foxwell 510....the read out is identical to mine. I think that the reason for the 2013 date is that is when the 4C was first scheduled to be sold in Europe..took a while to get here ;-) You can get the latest updates to the software also at the company site. You can load up to about 5 other cars on it for $60 each. I loaded for my Ford van too. As a side note....previously I used a cheap Android app called Torque Pro along with an inexpensive Blue Tooth plug in module I got from Amazon. Think the module was around $15. That only reads the ECU but could clear codes and do a bunch of other useful things like timing 0-60, quarter mile, runs, etc.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
That makes sense.
Any idea why they call it AU Ford vs just ford?
We have a Focus RS, so I'm gonna copy you and add that as well.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,974 Posts
Just guessing that it could be Australian Ford. You can write to the scanner company to verify correct model.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I ordered this tool after getting CEL and being locked out of Dynamic, etc.

I cleared the code on my own (scanner not here yet), by disconnecting my battery, cleaning the terminals and reattaching after five minutes. I found this info on the forum from my car before I even got home. I was so pissed that I needed info ASAP.

Thanks for posting the exact model. It's comforting to see 4C listed as a supported vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts