Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lightly scraping the lower front bumper I started looking for some protection and came across this: www.scrapearmor.com/products/scrape-armor-bumper-protection-alfa-romeo-4c

It's only 2mm thicker than what it replaces, uses factory holes, lifetime warranty, 30-Day Return, Guaranteed Satisfaction, Made in US, etc. The are located in Bellevue, WA.

Price does not sound completely unreasonable at $450.00 retail. Plus they offer a 20% military discount ($360), or 10% discount to anyone on their first order ($405).

For $360.00 I'm willing to be the guinea pig as I hate sound of my bumper scraping and have already heard it twice (lightly) in less than two weeks of ownership.

On the other hand, if it has been tried and sucks I'll continue to look elsewhere or consider any other alternatives that others way have found to work well.

Thanks!

4C - Scrape Armor -01.jpg 4C -Scrape Armor - 02.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
Saw this one recently - can’t remember if it was on here or on FB..
Considering it - inexpensive, no holes, easy to replace and remove..
I was told about this by someone who saw it on Bookface. Thanks for posting as I wasn’t able to find it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links and comments on Scrape Armor & SLiPLO.

After reading more about each I'm leaning towards the SLiPLO option as I'd prefer to avoid (at least for now) any irreversible modifications - even if it is just drilling some small holes that won't be visible.

Also impressed by SLiPLO's 30-day money back guarantee and 10-year warranty. And after seeing that poor, unprotected Ferrari's front bumper I don't feel so bad.

Whilst on the subject on the front undercarriage, what's the deal with that little vertical strip thingy hanging down behind the bumper?

I'm not exactly Adrian Newey when it comes to aero but its hard to imagine that thing providing any benefit in that department. My previous sport and current track car had/have extremely flat and aerodynamically smooth undersides (at least visually).

Perhaps it's intended as the undercarriage equivalent of those old "curb feelers"?

But, if so, it just aggravatingly adds insult to an already incurred injury.

Anyway, thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, thanks!

As mine will be driven mostly in Texas I'll keep an eye on its Gurney flap too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Like you I scrapped my front nice 2 weeks into ownership. I was so pissed as it also actually stripped off half my gurney flap. The flap was immediately removed and has never been replaced. I have not have it on the car for 3+ years and have had zero problems. I did however buy a replacement and it is currently in my basement in the event I ever want to put it back on the car, but currently I see no need.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
It does provide routing of the air around the radiator and perhaps helps reduce lift at the front. I would leave it on. Corvettes have a similar piece and on one of the older C versions I remember reading that if it was removed it interrupted air to the oil cooler and GM said if it was removed it could lead to damage....perhaps overheating of the oil via the cooler. Vette fans even said if you found one for sale with it missing they wouldn't buy the car as the damage may have been done. Don't know if true or not but that being said....whether the 4C could have similar issues is not evident thus far as shown on the post above......but.....still........:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
I can’t believe the errand boy was allowed to add something after the design was finalised. It must be there for a (significant) reason so I’d keep it on, but that’s just me.

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
I actually just saw an ad for this pop up on my IG the other day and was wondering if it would be a viable option. Has anyone tried it yet?
I’ve ordered but it hasn’t arrived yet.
Update: DHL just delivered it. Hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to install it on the weekend but it’s going on the Giulietta not the 4C. If I think it’s satisfactory I’ll put some on the 4C. Haven’t opened the pack yet to know the number of strips supplied. Off to work now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ve ordered but it hasn’t arrived yet.
Update: DHL just delivered it. Hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to install it on the weekend but it’s going on the Giulietta not the 4C. If I think it’s satisfactory I’ll put some on the 4C. Haven’t opened the pack yet to know the number of strips supplied. Off to work now.
Keep us posted :)

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
I just put a couple of strips on the underside front of my Giulietta.
You receive a box containing 10, 12inch rubber sawtooth edged strips as well as one alcohol wipe sache and two sachets containing an adhesion promoter infused in a small foam pad. I didn’t need to do any trimming and the rubber strips easily conformed to the shape I was after. Time will tell if the adhesive lasts. Very expensive once you convert to Aussie dollars...over $200 inc postage. Delivery was prompt. I’m still thinking my original idea of using a thick band of black vinyl wrap material under the nose is a cheaper compromise and easily replaceable. However, the rubber strip solution from SlipLo should offer much better protection. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
I think it is somewhat over-priced, especially when you include shipping and the current currency exchange rate (Australia->USD), but does the job. It shapes easily and can be cut using a sharp razor knife.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After seeing this thread come back up I revisited SLiPLO's website and noticed they still have a 50% Off Cyber Monday sale going.

Regular price for a single kit is $150. I splurged and bought an extra 3-Pack of 3M Adhesive Promoter wipes. $81.48 Total - Free Shipping & No Tax (Presumably for all non-CA residents).

I'm still awaiting Alfa USA's decision on what they're going to do about my $1,500.00 factory-applied PPF that's yellowed, but will give SLiPLO a try once that's resolved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After lightly scraping the lower front bumper I started looking for some protection and came across this: www.scrapearmor.com/products/scrape-armor-bumper-protection-alfa-romeo-4c

It's only 2mm thicker than what it replaces, uses factory holes, lifetime warranty, 30-Day Return, Guaranteed Satisfaction, Made in US, etc. The are located in Bellevue, WA.

Price does not sound completely unreasonable at $450.00 retail. Plus they offer a 20% military discount ($360), or 10% discount to anyone on their first order ($405).

For $360.00 I'm willing to be the guinea pig as I hate sound of my bumper scraping and have already heard it twice (lightly) in less than two weeks of ownership.

On the other hand, if it has been tried and sucks I'll continue to look elsewhere or consider any other alternatives that others way have found to work well.

Thanks!

View attachment 102414 View attachment 102415
I installed a Scrape Armor Protector a few weeks ago. The install was straight forward with no problems. The 4C's Gurney flap stays. As of yet, I have not had the misfortune of having to put it to the test, but it looks to be very sturdy. If I ever do bash into something I will be thankful that I installed it. If I did not have it, and I ran into something I would be kicking myself for not having the protector. I got the 20% military discount at $360.00. But If you are a 1st time customer you can get a 10% discount.
What would ALFA charge to fix or replace any damage to an unprotected front end ? Maybe just a bit more than $360? I think $360 well spent .
As for drilled holes, if this car becomes so valuable in the distant future. I could have the front piece replaced. If you do scrape it with no protector you would have it replaced anyway. But why you would want to remove the protector? Any future collector will look at it as a "Period Correct Mod". All you Sports Car Market readers will know what I am talking about. 😁 Look out for those speed bumps.😬

1 - 20 of 22 Posts