Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I adjusted my seats this morning. Took about 45 min with about 15 of that trying to find a comfortable position to reinstall the passenger seat rear screws.

I'm 5'10 and of average American weight and found the stock position (3 screws on the bottom with the backrest at 90 degrees) annoying at the least.

Having had 3 back surgery (recent one as Oct 2018), my back was starting to hurt with the position. Lumbar pillows didn't do any good and I could not see anything above the 2/7 on the cluster without slouching.

Here are a couple of my observations and concerns I found when doing the work this morning.

Observations.

1. Oddly enough, the driver and passenger seats do not have the same amount of space behind the seats. When I reinstalled the seats, I was able to put the rear screws in first and then the front on the driver side. When I tried to do that on the passenger side, I was unable to put the fronts in. I had to reverse the order. Seems the baby seat bump prevents the seat from sliding back farther.
2. I am now able to recline the seat back (about 2 inches) and gained more visibility to the cluster. Mind you, 2 dealers (Santa Monica Alfa and Van Nuys Alfa) said adjusting the seat would not increase visibly.
3. I did take the back off the driver seat and found there is space to cut a couple more notches in the recline adjuster to make it go back more if you like having the seats on the lowest setting on the front screw.
4. The middle screws did not line up, I just used a pry bar and put the middle screws in and then tightened all 6 down starting at the rear first.

Concerns
1. 2 of the screws that bolted the seats down were finger tight and had never been touched before. I am the original owner and the black paint was intact. Seems like they were not tightened down at the factory. I tightened them to factory spec.

Tools need.
1. 40 TORX
2. 12 in entendor
3. ratchet.

Time
About 30min for both if you are under 40.
Add +15 min if you're close to 50.
Add 4 hours and $300 for someone else to do it if you're over 50.

BEFORE and AFTER.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Concerns
1. 2 of the screws that bolted the seats down were finger tight and had never been touched before. I am the original owner and the black paint was intact. Seems like they were not tightened down at the factory. I tightened them to factory spec.
I found that these screws tend to work themselves loose. Blue Loctite(r).

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,138 Posts
I found that these screws tend to work themselves loose. Blue Loctite(r).
And if they work loose the seat moving a bit causes a knocking sound that is even louder because it is amplified by the CF panel. MAKE sure that when snugged down the seat rail is held....in my case the drivers side front left screw would bottom out before tight enough.....ground off a bit of the screw to shorten it....or you could use another washer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I wanted more tilt but to sort to do the top front and rear bottom. When I did the middle rear to top front and only 4 bolts I could feel the seat flexing in the middle and that bugged me so........
I took it out and modified it so now I have top front, middle rear and all 6 bolts

it took me a bit cuz I didn't want the holes to be sloppy or just cut a slot thru to keep some of the integrity if it even mattered. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted more tilt but to sort to do the top front and rear bottom. When I did the middle rear to top front and only 4 bolts I could feel the seat flexing in the middle and that bugged me so........
I took it out and modified it so now I have top front, middle rear and all 6 bolts

it took me a bit cuz I didn't want the holes to be sloppy or just cut a slot thru to keep some of the integrity if it even mattered. :rolleyes:
So does that give it more recline too?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No going top front & rear bottom put me too low and back, middle across the board was nice but I wanted to be slightly more settled in the seat so I made my own position....it's been done before on here

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all

I adjusted my seats this morning. Took about 45 min with about 15 of that trying to find a comfortable position to reinstall the passenger seat rear screws.

I'm 5'10 and of average American weight and found the stock position (3 screws on the bottom with the backrest at 90 degrees) annoying at the least.

Having had 3 back surgery (recent one as Oct 2018), my back was starting to hurt with the position. Lumbar pillows didn't do any good and I could not see anything above the 2/7 on the cluster without slouching.

Here are a couple of my observations and concerns I found when doing the work this morning.

Observations.

1. Oddly enough, the driver and passenger seats do not have the same amount of space behind the seats. When I reinstalled the seats, I was able to put the rear screws in first and then the front on the driver side. When I tried to do that on the passenger side, I was unable to put the fronts in. I had to reverse the order. Seems the baby seat bump prevents the seat from sliding back farther.
2. I am now able to recline the seat back (about 2 inches) and gained more visibility to the cluster. Mind you, 2 dealers (Santa Monica Alfa and Van Nuys Alfa) said adjusting the seat would not increase visibly.
3. I did take the back off the driver seat and found there is space to cut a couple more notches in the recline adjuster to make it go back more if you like having the seats on the lowest setting on the front screw.
4. The middle screws did not line up, I just used a pry bar and put the middle screws in and then tightened all 6 down starting at the rear first.

Concerns

Tools need.
1. 40 TORX
2. 12 in entendor
3. ratchet.

Time
About 30min for both if you are under 40.
Add +15 min if you're close to 50.
Add 4 hours and $300 for someone else to do it if you're over 50.

BEFORE and AFTER.

View attachment 101014
View attachment 101015
Sorry if this was said before but the dealer does one free seat adjustment, I was told this before I bought mine so in my deal I added an extra seat adjustment in case the first one didn't work out!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry if this was said before but the dealer does one free seat adjustment, I was told this before I bought mine so in my deal I added an extra seat adjustment in case the first one didn't work out!
Not all do. I checked with Santa Monica, Van Nuys and Glendale. All said no. And I bought mine from Van Nuys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy all— I'm new to the Forum. Bought my 2018 4C coupe at the end of last year. My driver's seat pops out easily. But I am not getting it with the (2) modular plugs. Afraid of breaking something in pulling them apart. Pried the one yellow thingy off the white plug. Doesn't get me anywhere. Looks like the white plug doesn't come apart. Yellow thingy on the green plug doesn't want to yield. Any advice?? P.S. Love the car :cool:
4C plugs.jpg

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There's a looooonnnng thread on this. I'll see if I can find it. As I recall, they both just pry apart.

Here's the thread. Start at the end and work backwards.

·
Registered
442 Posts
And this short video courtesy of Xcentric, I believe:
Was my video, but I didn't have the yellow clips that it appears are on clips in the picture from Bi-Motore. Maybe the clips were there and dealership removed prior to my purchase (2018 spider).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was my video, but I didn't have the yellow clips that it appears are on clips in the picture from Bi-Motore. Maybe the clips were there and dealership removed prior to my purchase (2018 spider).
Thanks for your help guys. I couldn't get through the clips & plugs. I buttoned it up & will talk to my dealer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just pull with some pressure to get the plugs off the holders then just push on the table and mine open. You have to do some contortion to do it. I don't do anything with the yellow tabs..... they don't hold it together. It is easier to see and manage with them off the holders to the tub then you can use two hands

·
Registered
232 Posts
So how do you get the seat out to start with ??

·
Super Moderator
14,908 Posts
So how do you get the seat out to start with ??
Un-bolt the rails from the tub and pull them out.
Use towels ot cardboard to protect the sills.
Take care in putting the bolts back in so as not to let them cross-thread or get contaminants blocking the threads.

There are instructions here, in the seat tilt thread. Check out the DIY and Technical Reference sticky in the Engine & Technical section of the forum for an index pointing to details on this and many other projects, thanks to your fellow members.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Un-bolt the rails from the tub and pull them out.
Use towels ot cardboard to protect the sills.
Take care in putting the bolts back in so as not to let them cross-thread or get contaminants blocking the threads.

There are instructions here, in the seat tilt thread. Check out the DIY and Technical Reference sticky in the Engine & Technical section of the forum for an index pointing to details on this and many other projects, thanks to your fellow members.
appreciated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts