Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Seat Belt Swap

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Teebsa 
#1 ·
Replaced the stock seat belts with spare set that I sent to SafetyRestore for rewebbing in yellow. The transaction with SafetyRestore for the most part went smooth. There was a logistics challenge on the return, however they resolved and made it right to me the customer. Definitely recommend them for others considering doing same. Typically they receive, rewebb and return within 24 hours, the hold-up will be the shipping carrier.

There are two videos, first shows entire process from start to finish run 10x speed. This entire process took 15 minutes per side with 5:30 of that spent on releasing the belt attachment to the car. Second video is cut to show the different steps with closer shots to help understand the process.

Disconnect negative battery terminal just because you are messing with the safety system and there are electrical connections.

For the lower latch, easiest is to push allen key all the way into the lower hole on latch, pull back tape a bit on the side to expose a small hole. Push the cable and latch mechanism together and hold like that, push small screwdriver in side hole, you won't miss the latch.

Remove the belt cover with four screws then there is one big bolt that you'll need a T50 torx to remove, note that this screw will have a ground wire on it. The other connection is held in place by the plastic piece you can see me pull-out. Once that is pulled out the connector is easy to pop-off.

The top triangle thing holding belt near roof has two indents on back of the plastic piece, you can slide a small screw driver up the back to pop off those. The connector to the car uses same torx bit as the lower.

Once you do these couple steps, reverse the process to install new belts.

Speed run - Full process in 1 minute

Detailed process with closer camera in 6 minutes

See less See more
#3 ·
Unlatching the anchor hook was a bit tricky for me. I did a detailed DIY for another member here just on that latching mechanism.

for those watching, there is a grounding wire on one of the mounting bolts to the seatbelt roller mount. Just be sure to reattach that eyelet for the grounding wire on one of the seatbelt roller bolts.

Reactions: lpspeedster
#4 ·
Thanks for the video, the koshi carbon pieces need the lower shrouds swapped and basically the same process is used to a point.
I'm planning the new layered stuff (hexagonally-perforated black alcantara "sleeve" knitted to red webbing underneath... Asking for a custom Quadrifoglio logo cut in the pattern right above the lower clip stop (which will be replaced with a laser etched carbon rivet, AR logo) and another about the place where the belt would end up at around my left shoulder (estimated ~ 3' from lower clip stop).

#7 ·
I cannot...for the life of me get the lower latch released. What's the trick to it? I inserted an allen key in the lower hole, found the small hole on the side of it under the felt tape, tried putting a small flat head screwdriver in there, but doesn't really feel like there's anything in there that I can push on or release. I've tried holding the cable and latch together to take the pressure off, without holding it and I just can't seem to get it removed. Any tips?

#8 ·
You can keep trying to poke a small flat edge in the hole on the bottom. Its a little tricky as its a double latch locking mechanism securing the anchor hook.
You can also cut the tape and open up the case that houses the locking mechanism to get a better look on how to disengage. Maybe these pictures will help enough.
Automotive tire Hood Flash photography Bumper Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Vehicle door

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Grey Car

#10 ·
I spent a lot of time trying to find the latch with an allen key fishing around in there. An hour later I tried a bigger one that just barely fit in. Worked immediately. I don’t think the smaller one was long enough. So if your key goes in there easily maybe size it. I would do everything you can to not have to cut the tape.

#11 ·
You can just retape it. 🙂

#13 ·
Got it! I was originally using a tiny flat head screw driver on the side hole (under the tape). After looking at it some more, I used another allen key and they popped right out. Felt kind of dumb on how easy it was. For anyone else trying to get through this, use 2 allen keys, not a screwdriver and it pops right out. Thanks for everyones help, can't wait to have my matching seatbelts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.