Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
201 - 220 of 229 Posts
I am not sure that I understand the question. But I have the seat pan tilted with the front screws in the upper holes and the rear screws in the bottom holes. Whether the seat back is in an upright position or at a reclined angle makes no difference. The contact point is at the very bottom of the seat back. By the seat back, I mean the portion of the seat that your back rests against.

Yes I had the same issue, I ended doing the same as you but also lifting the slider bar mechanism at the same time as tightening the front screws meant I could fit my torx head in there.

I am going to retorque them this weekend though to be sure.

When I removed the rear mounting screws and slid the seat to the rear, I did not have to lift the slider bar mechanism to access the front mounting screws. Perhaps the torx head that I was using is different from yours. I do not know if they are available or not, but if there is a simple "L" shaped torx wrench, similar to the common allen screw wrench. It seems that that would do nicely.

I makes a difference if you put the front in the middle position or at the highest position...with the rear at the lowest point. With the highest front position the middle lines up with holes. At the middle position in front it won't line up so you have to either drill a middle hole in the stock rails or not use the middle bolts. I preferred the middle position to avoid the seat pressing against the back of my leg to much. Luckily I have both L wrenches with the appropriate torque bolt as well as torque sockets. A combination of both was necessary. To drill the middle hole in the factory slider meant removing it from the seat which required removing the seat completely and taking the slider apart. That meant a lot more time and adjustments, but after completing the job it was worth it. I MUCH prefer this position...and the side benefit is I can see the entire dash display (I am 6'-1") and have plenty of room to clear with my race helmet on (coupe).

Does anyone have the original photos for this thread saved? I’m trying to do the seat adjustment, but none of the photos are loading :(
Sadly no. Photobucket stopped allowing photographs that were hosted on their site to be linked on other commercial websites about 5 years (+/-) ago, and all of the links were broken by them.
You cannot even click on the pictures anymore to get to them.

Go to the Engine & Technical section of this forum, and check out the contents of the 4C Cloud (has its own sticky thread) for perhaps a procedure that will show you all the details.
I don't know what all is in there and don't have the time to dig through it all, but I did find that the last page of the doc at this link has a picture and brief description of seat height adjustment, in case that helps you orient yourself.

Good luck!

Sadly no. Photobucket stopped allowing photographs that were hosted on their site to be linked on other commercial websites about 5 years (+/-) ago, and all of the links were broken by them.
You cannot even click on the pictures anymore to get to them.

Go to the Engine & Technical section of this forum, and check out the contents of the 4C Cloud (has its own sticky thread) for perhaps a procedure that will show you all the details.
I don't know what all is in there and don't have the time to dig through it all, but I did find that the last page of the doc at this link has a picture and brief description of seat height adjustment, in case that helps you orient yourself.

Good luck!
Cheers! Thanks so much, I’ll check it out.

I just did it about a week ago and couldn't get the clips for the wires to come undone, so like OP I just moved the seat around. What sucks is one of the plastic pieces that holds the wire broke loose. Not sure if that was me or not. Out of sight out of mind though.

Either way. Make sure you lay down towels or blankets to protect the tub.

I'm only about 5ft 6, but I went all the way top in front, bottom in back. Gives me a good bend to my knees and let's me see the dash more fully.

To be honest, if it's going to be a longer cruise, I'll drop the wheel more and obscure the dash a little. Not sure if I am going to change the steering column angle with washers like some have. But I always prefer the wheel in all my cars to be lower.

Adjusted my seat to the highest setting in front, middle in the middle, and lowest in back to get that bucket tilt going. Feels way more comfortable so far. The change took me about an hour and a half, but if I had to do it again it would probably be 30-45 minutes. Here are some thoughts on the conversion:
  1. I highly recommend figuring out the wiring clips and pulling the seat out. There is a detailed description of how the clips work on page 8 and a video on page 9 of this thread. Those 2 posts together show how easy it is once you understand how they work. I tried shimmying the seat around inside the car at first, but it is so much easier with the seat out of the car.
  2. For the fully tilted setting, I found it best to work from back to front and not tightening anything down until every bolt is in. It's not a perfect fit, with the back bolts in the middle bolts will go into the middle setting pretty easily, but after the back and middle bolts are in you have to muscle the seat into place to get that final front bolt to go into the highest setting. If you have the front and back bolts in first I am not sure if you can get the middle to line up enough.
  3. Once tilted the seat doesn’t go back as far so the adjustment bar will be in the way of the seat rail bolts to the tub. I put in the back seat rail bolts first (didn't tighten them all the way) and then had to sit in the seat and push backward to free up the space to get the front seat rail bolts back into the tub. Without some force, the adjustment bar is in your way of getting to those since there is not room to slide the seat all the way back anymore.

Just did my my drivers seat as well.
European version, it only had one electric connector (instead of two as mentioned here). My seat also had a pin which is placed in a hole just before the rear bolt on right side, you see it on the picture. Helps positioning the rails correctly, couldn't remember it being mentioned here somewhere.

Front right bolt didn't want to come in, had to remove seat again (front left was already in) to clean the hole. What I did: mount the screw until it blocked. Spray some APC (all purpose cleaner) to the bolt, remove it again, clean bolt and hole, and repeat. After few iterations it wanted to go in at last.

My learnings:
  • first try screwing in all the bolts with the seat still out. This will learn whether one of them is blocked by dirt, and allows cleaning - avoids issues when the seat is in
  • do front bolts first. Difficult to reach, but doable: put seat all the way back, pull the lever (to move seat) up then I managed to do front-left. Then sit on the seat, if needed push the seat + yourself backwards to align hole in rails with hole in carbon tub, then pull lever up, install screw.
  • luckily I have a spider, with roof open the seat comes out and goes in again easily. Probably a bitch to do this in a coupe.

Result: small scratch on the carbon tub (err, two that is, so some polishing to be done) but much better seating position!

Did the passenger seat today, and guess: there was a cable coming out of the seat, but just hanging loose, not connected to anything. No connector on the ground to connect it to, strange. Forgot to try (will do so) what happens if a passenger is in the seat without wearing the seatbelt.

Apart from that: great to have both seats in a higher setting at the knees

Did the passenger seat today, and guess: there was a cable coming out of the seat, but just hanging loose, not connected to anything. No connector on the ground to connect it to, strange. Forgot to try (will do so) what happens if a passenger is in the seat without wearing the seatbelt.

Apart from that: great to have both seats in a higher setting at the knees
When I raised my seats in my 2017 Spider I also had a cable from the passenger seat with no sign of the connection to the car. As I am sure this was the first time the seat was out this was how it came from the factory.

When I raised my seats in my 2017 Spider I also had a cable from the passenger seat with no sign of the connection to the car. As I am sure this was the first time the seat was out this was how it came from the factory.
Same with mine. No connection on the passenger side and just one connector on driver side.

Question to folks who made the recline change and had dashboard cluster obstructed by the wheel: how much cluster visibility did you gain?

With default lowest position I still have 1-2cm of cluster obstructed by the wheel. Want to do the recline mod just to mitigate that as much as possible

The seats in my car came with all 3 of the mounting bolts in the bottom positions, which I believe is the way all 4C s came from the factory.
I left the rear bolts in the lower holes. The middle bolt was placed in the middle hole. And I placed the front bolts in the upper holes. This raised the front edge of the seats about 1 1/2 inches. The seats could then be reclined a bit more. However, I did not notice any improvement in my ability to view the dashboard cluster.

The seats in my car came with all 3 of the mounting bolts in the bottom positions, which I believe is the way all 4C s came from the factory.
I left the rear bolts in the lower holes. The middle bolt was placed in the middle hole. And I placed the front bolts in the upper holes. This raised the front edge of the seats about 1 1/2 inches. The seats could then be reclined a bit more. However, I did not notice any improvement in my ability to view the dashboard cluster.
You will need to do the steering column washer process for that. Doable but you will need a chiro. Afterwards and expect many colorful words during the process :). Worth it though for sure.

Guys! I went to the garage convinced I could have pulled this off.
I have the Torx screwdriver, I have the hex I need, I organised a ton of towels to cover up the tub... And it was over before I even started: I can't fit the screwdriver into the rear Torx screws, there is not enough space between the head of the crew and the bottom of the seat backrest. It's like 10 cm! How do you do it?

201 - 220 of 229 Posts