Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I had my 4c Spider serviced today, and as part of the service I asked for the drivers seat to be altered, both the front and rear are both in the middle setting, whilst driving home I thought the rear settting was to high and I was getting cramp under my right leg mainly my thigh area. Has any owner found a good compromise with seat settings.
I am 5/11in tall and weigh around 90kilos if this helps! lol.

Thanks in advance
David.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
876 Posts
The front at the highest setting, rear at the lowest (leaving the middle at the middle setting) is what many people seem to like (I do).
I've got to try that. Mine are at the bottom setting at all three points. There is a long thread about this on this forum. Lot's of opinions and information! :nerd:

BTW, nice looking spider there, David!

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
The “ideal” setting really depends on the individual driver, their conformation, fitness, and preferences.
Unfortunately, it is a PITA to experiment with different settings.

Alfa recommends the lowest setting as it increases the perception of speed. Maybe also improves dashboard visibility for the tall-torsoed.
AARP would recommend the opposite, for ease of getting in and out. >:)

I have one car set low and the other with maximum tilt. For me, both are OK (your mileage may vary), but I would probably not do the tilt again only because my track car (level seat bottom) has a harness. The tilt helps keep you planted during aggressive driving without one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The “ideal” setting really depends on the individual driver, their conformation, fitness, and preferences.
Unfortunately, it is a PITA to experiment with different settings.

Alfa recommends the lowest setting as it increases the perception of speed. Maybe also improves dashboard visibility for the tall-torsoed.
AARP would recommend the opposite, for ease of getting in and out. >:)

I have one car set low and the other with maximum tilt. For me, both are OK (your mileage may vary), but I would probably not do the tilt again only because my track car (level seat bottom) has a harness. The tilt helps keep you planted during aggressive driving without one.
Mine is set at the lowest level on all 3 and have no issues with it. Like in my racecar, the lower your seat is set the more you can “feel” and connect with the car....

Reactions: dbell and 4Canada

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,825 Posts
I have mine at the middle in the front and lowest in the rear. Keeps you from sliding forward under braking and supports my leg better. While originally I had it in both front and rear at the lowest position and later the raised front, I also noted that I could now see the entire dash display where as before I couldn't. Note that the middle bolt may not be usable with the seat so adjusted....I found that with only the two bolts it worked fine although later I did drill an additional hole but that requires removing the seat adjustment rack which is a PITA. I would recommend trying this position before drilling the extra hole to make sure you like it. This also allows you to rake the seat back at a steeper angle so overall your center of gravity if anything is slightly lower than the flat bottom option.

If you use the higher front and lowest rear you will find the middle bolt will line up so no need to drill that extra hole. But I found that position to be uncomfortable for me with too much pressure on my thigh. But of all positions the dead flat low position was the least comfortable of all for me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Interesting. I had no idea the seats were adjustable. Is it a stock adjuster in the seat?
Of course they are.....you just have to remove them to adjust. When I got my car it was all the way down and i could not see over the dash. I am 7'7" and short torso'd. So 1st time I moved it up to the middle. Then thought I wanted more front tilt so I moved the front up to the top notch. This caused me back discomfort so after a bit of time I put it back down to the middle. So I have had my seats out 3 times is 3 months. No planning on doing it again.

But they are adjustable :wink2:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I see now where they adjust. Looks like3 positions in 3 locations. Mine appear to be all the way down. I’m short (5’7”) but high torso and short legs. Seems to work well for me. Even at the lowest settings the top of the RPMs are cut off.
I’m happy where the seats are. Especially if trying different settings is so labor intensive.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm middle in the front and lowest in the rear. I had to leave the middle bolt out but sacrificing the bolt was worth the comfort level for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you too all for the detailed replies. I think I will keep the front in the middle position and the rear in the lowest, it’s a pity someone hadn’t invented a pad or something similar to support behind the right knee/thigh area, I like my comforts! lol.

David.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,825 Posts
Tilting the seat by using the middle front and lowest rear positions and tilting seat back back will let you see the entire dash display. I am 6' and at lowest setting front and rear I couldn't see the top of the display. I find it more comfortable and holds you in better when doing sporty driving. I also use a CGLock and that helps a lot but for serious track work you are best off with a full harness setup. Unfortunately ALFA didn't make it easy to install a race harness....there are aftermarket solutions though but really wish they put in attachments for a harness behind the seats.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Tilting the seat by using the middle front and lowest rear positions and tilting seat back back will let you see the entire dash display. I am 6' and at lowest setting front and rear I couldn't see the top of the display. I find it more comfortable and holds you in better when doing sporty driving. I also use a CGLock and that helps a lot but for serious track work you are best off with a full harness setup. Unfortunately ALFA didn't make it easy to install a race harness....there are aftermarket solutions though but really wish they put in attachments for a harness behind the seats.
Can you post a pic of your CGLock?

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Can you post a pic of your CGLock?
Stepping in ‘cause 5AM...

I used one for a year or more before moving to a harness. Good tool for occasional use. Does cause a bit of wear on the seatbelt webbing. RKBerta said he sanded his down and it helped. I tried to with mine and it didn’t.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Interesting. I had no idea the seats were adjustable. Is it a stock adjuster in the seat?
Of course they are.....you just have to remove them to adjust. When I got my car it was all the way down and i could not see over the dash. I am 7'7" and short torso'd. So 1st time I moved it up to the middle. Then thought I wanted more front tilt so I moved the front up to the top notch. This caused me back discomfort so after a bit of time I put it back down to the middle. So I have had my seats out 3 times is 3 months. No planning on doing it again.

But they are adjustable /images/4C-Forums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
does the whole seat and floor rack need to be removed or just the bolts that position the height?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Complete removal makes the thought of adjustment too daunting. I’m open to suggestions on cheating and doing it the easy way. Lol
Easier than removing 4 screws (apart from those of the seat itself) and disconnecting a connector (i didn't have to, done all with the seat inside the car)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts