Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Sell as is or return to stock before sale?

• As is

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Return to stock trim

Votes: 17 77.3%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all.
Seriously considering selling my beloved 4C this spring.
Big decision right now is whether to sell as a track spec car with $30k in upgrades and custom one off carbon bits, or do I spend some time and return her to stock and sell upgraded parts after the fact.
List of upgrades includes but not limited
2x technocraft carbon seats
Custom carbon door cards with red door pulls (airbag delete necessary)
Scara73 steering wheel and paddles
Innokinetic harness bar with schroth 4 points in driver seat
Radio/speaker delete with carbon radio cover
Carbon Kevlar kick plate passenger footwell
Nitron 3 ways all around with remote for rears in engine bay
Tarox ss brake lines and corsa pads
Scara73 front rotors
Advan rsii racing wheels in black on re71r
Innokinetic front and rear sway bar
Custom billet adjustable end links
Alfaworks race ecu with carbon enclosure
Scara race intercooler and silicone piping
Eurocompulsion intake
Titanium downpipe and centre exit exhaust by scara73

I'm sure I'm missing a few things but those are the major upgrades.

0-200 in about 11.5
Quarter mile in the low 11s
Never tracked because of covid making it impossible to travel to tracks in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
10500 km from New in 2017
Always stored inside abd hasn't even seen rain let alone snow.
All services completed by myself including recent coolant flush and bolt tightening as per service manual.
Would come with all stocks parts including wheels.

Can be returned to fully stock but will take a lot of nights in the shop and I'd hate to go backwards and undo all that hard work. Hoping that someone might appreciate the car in her current form.
Thoughts?
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Car Automotive tail & brake light Hood
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Car
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive lighting
Font Material property Handwriting Paper Poster

·
Registered
352 Posts
Awesome build!!

As someone who has never owned a non modified car, from my expectance of buying modified cars and modifying my own cars, usually you are better off parting out the car.
If you are most interested in getting the most money back in your pocket, selling every part individually will get you there

However its such a pain to do that. Not only return the car to stock but list every single part, box them up, ship it, deal with people, etc...

So what is your time worth as well??

Just my .02. But worst you could do is list it at the price you think its worth, hopefully someone comes around, if not, part it out.

·
Registered
2018 Rosso Competizione 4C Spider, 2019 Rosso Competizione Giulia Quadrifoglio
70 Posts
Sorry about the repeated image attachments...
You can edit your post and delete the duplicates.

Great looking car with nice mods. I understand the dilemma you are facing,

Maybe try to sell as is first, and if you can’t get what you want, revert to stock then.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The fact that you have all the original parts to return to stock is a big deal. I don't think you'll find someone who is going to give you more than top-dollar for an OEM car though (never know, maybe you will?). I think you'll get maximum return by selling the OEM car and then selling the parts -- but you have to consider the PITA factor.

Perhaps list it with an acceptable-to-you asking price and see if you get any bites? If that doesn't work after a reasonable time period, then do plan B of returning to OEM, etc.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I doubt you'll find the right buyer to try and sell the car at an increased price with the mods installed. If you want to get close to your money back, you'll be better off going back "close to stock" and selling some of the more expensive aftermarket parts separately.

Also, returning the stock steering wheel with the airbag will likely attract more buyers.

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
@KarlB here's another option for you... Near the Sault.
@Joel Fleischman , meet KarlB, who is in the Ottawa area and looking for a 4C potentially.
Since he is also considering (and comes from a series of) higher power cars, he might be interested as is, or with the parts to bring it back.

(Otherwise, "DIBS" on some of your mod parts, LOL).

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
If it were me, and if I had the time to return some to stock (it appears that you have the ability, but not sure about the time), I'd probably return the steering, seats and door cards to stock for the safety factor for the new buyer, remove the harness bar and harness, and probably the Race ECU. The rest, I'd probably leave alone as they don't limit the market for the car the way the lack of airbag/safety features, and the race track-inspired mods do. You will also get a decent dollar selling these parts (offer to the purchaser first, if you prefer) separately from the car.

You might want to change the downpipe to stock (I assume it is a cat delete), as you will still need a e-test for transfer of ownership in Ontario. That alone makes the tune less useful, then.

The wheels, well, I'd sell those to me if I were you (that makes no sense, but you get my drift, LOL). I think that you won't get any more $ for aftermarket wheels on a car, and you won't be able to sell the stock ones for as much as you would these, if you part out. Plus, they are an easy swap, even in your driveway in the snow.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If it were me, and if I had the time to return some to stock (it appears that you have the ability, but not sure about the time), I'd probably return the steering, seats and door cards to stock for the safety factor for the new buyer, remove the harness bar and harness, and probably the Race ECU. The rest, I'd probably leave alone as they don't limit the market for the car the way the lack of airbag/safety features, and the race track-inspired mods do. You will also get a decent dollar selling these parts (offer to the purchaser first, if you prefer) separately from the car.

You might want to change the downpipe to stock (I assume it is a cat delete), as you will still need a e-test for transfer of ownership in Ontario. That alone makes the tune less useful, then.

The wheels, well, I'd sell those to me if I were you (that makes no sense, but you get my drift, LOL). I think that you won't get any more $ for aftermarket wheels on a car, and you won't be able to sell the stock ones for as much as you would these, if you part out. Plus, they are an easy swap, even in your driveway in the snow.
not to pretend to be a lawyer, but I might also be concerned with liability issues on selling a vehicle under the pretence that it will be used on the road (not track) without the safety features it required to be plated in the first place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really appreciate all of the insights and suggestions. Thank you all very much.

I will likely list "as is" for a reasonable price - 75k CAD looks to be typical asking for a well optioned coupe with low mileage and add a reasonable amount for the upgrades which total ~30k if you can believe it.

Thinking $87,500 is fair for a car that I am in for well over 100k...not including the hundreds of man hours I put into it.

If anyone is interested in working out a deal send a message.

If I don't get any takers I'll start the painful process of undoing all of my hard work...

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
Having parts removed or swapped such as air bags (new non stock steering wheel), CAT, ECU replacement, removal of stock seat belts and seat belt sensors WILL limit your chances of sale as those changes would impact getting it registered for a new owner. As long as you have those parts still, you would be better off putting safety and emission devices back to stock to open up your sales potential. Other upgrades that don't change emission or safety would be OK.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@KarlB here's another option for you... Near the Sault.
@Joel Fleischman , meet KarlB, who is in the Ottawa area and looking for a 4C potentially.
Since he is also considering (and comes from a series of) higher power cars, he might be interested as is, or with the parts to bring it back.

(Otherwise, "DIBS" on some of your mod parts, LOL).
Nice to meet you @KarlB feel free to come by and take it for a spin anytime...might be too late this year given the 20cm of snow we got last night lol

• Wow
Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’d wait until next Spring, take it to the track for a day, then see if you really want to sell it. To do all you have with the car without turning a wheel in anger seems a lot of wasted effort to me.
So much wasted effort...it breaks my heart that I haven't turned a single lap. The suspension mods, all the light weighting and extra power I know it would be a track sleeper up there with the GT3s of the world.

But with a pool going in the backyard and another sports car delivery planned for April I may not have a choice unless I win the lottery.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts