Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Sell as is or return to stock before sale?

• As is

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Return to stock trim

Votes: 12 70.6%
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,363 Posts
So much wasted effort...it breaks my heart that I haven't turned a single lap. The suspension mods, all the light weighting and extra power I know it would be a track sleeper up there with the GT3s of the world.

But with a pool going in the backyard and another sports car delivery planned for April I may not have a choice unless I win the lottery.
I hope the pool has heating.

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
TBH, the more mods on a car, the less (i.e. below market price) that it is typically worth.
The buyer pool becomes considerably limited, and no buyer particularly cares how much time and money that you have into the car.
In fact, knowing that these were done perhaps privately and not by a reputable shop / licensed mechanic (apologies if you are / did) would put some buyers off, knowing that corners might have been cut or aftermarket parts could potentially be non-standard. I'm not accusing you of this, and obviously you have used only the best parts here, but not every purchaser would be comfortable with it. Lower demand means lower prices.

Unless you find a buyer who was going to mod the car up exactly this way anyhow, and those are few and far between, it isn't likely that you will get any premium for the mods while still on the car. In fact, you might find that it sells for less or far slower than cars priced about equally.

The weather isn't in your favour either, but sounds like you could potentially wait until early spring to do the transaction, by which time demand for this type of car rises in the great white north again.
OTOH, I've never seen used car prices anywhere near what they are today. If you can find a buyer, the dollars are crazy high right now. No telling how long that will last, but I would assume supply chain issues will cause it to persist into spring/summer 2022.

GLWS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I would love to see this 4C sold in the London area and have it run with us at Grand Bend. Interesting build.
I wanna run with you at grand bend. If it doesn't sell I'll be there.

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
A former track car modded and then restored to OEM by the owner? You just greatly reduced your buyer pool. Will you disclose that this car was once a track car?
To expand on Jwdm's comment, a car modified "for the track" and then returned to stock but never actually tracked is exactly like many, many used cars out there modified for show not go. Lots of people do mods to their cars to make them look fast, but never actually track them.

Even a few HPDE days are really just a shakedown for the car, although I would agree that it ought to be disclosed to a potential buyer.

I know plenty of exotic car owners who are far harder on their very expensive vehicles on the streets and at cars & coffee than I ever will be on track. Cold revving, show-off downshifts, and going way faster than I do on track. Hard braking on cold tires and ESC OFF (because who needs that???) and performance brake pads that were never properly warmed or bedded in (because that might take 200km driving per manufacturer's specifications and they don't want to put extra miles on their Ferrari LOL) so the rotors get buildup on them. Stupid camber and huge offsets that can't be healthy for the suspension. Maintenance way behind because it's too expensive and they don't put any miles on the car in a year.

I need a safe and reliable car on track, so it gets very frequent oil changes, brake flushes, and if there is a hint of anything starting to go bad, that gets fixed immediately.

Not talking actual racing, but open lapping / HPDE days with a mature owner are not the worst life that a car can have!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My $0.02... so far I've tracked 4 different cars over an 18+ year period - and by tracked I mean lapping/HPDE as @4Canada mentions.

In my anecdotal but fairly long-term experience, track-rats tend to be obsessive about their cars and the care of them. My own cars (and the cars of every track-friend I've known) have fluid changes at a frequency probably 2-3+ times the manufacturers recommendations. Plus fluid changes that most street-only drivers probably never think about. On top of that are the frequent (sometimes obsessive) adjustments, safety checks, etc.

No one driving a lapping/HPDE day is interested in having anything on their car operating at less than tip-top shape. I'm not sure this can be said for a lot of street-only drivers. I wonder how often an average street-only driver even checks something as simple as their wheel-lug/nut torque or gets a brake fluid flush/fill? :) PS. Not saying we need to get obsessive about wheel nuts, but just as a comparison point.

At a track day cars are driven fast, not recklessly (well usually anyway before the reckless moron gets removed). I echo the sentiment that I'd be more concerned about potential damage done to a car by a clueless owner sitting at a stoplight revving the piss out of her/her engine trying to look cool vs a care&feeding-conscientious track driver. In fact given 2 equiv cars I personally would lean more to buying the track-driver's car because I'll know it's been well taken care of (otherwise it would likely not have survived intact).

Re the car mentioned above, it being tracked or not would not concern me. I would be more concerned (for any car re/re stock/mod parts) that the car gets returned to street-legal stock operating condition properly with no short-cuts and that everything that is expected to be operational is operational. Unfort there is no easy way to test airbags except to trust the idiot lights that they are correct waiting to deploy when needed.

Of course talking about obsession to this forum is probably not the best combination of a "lack of bias" example. But that's another thing... :D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Not talking actual racing, but open lapping / HPDE days with a mature owner are not the worst life that a car can have!
Especially a 4C . . . built for the track, reliable, simple, robust. I wouldn't discount much on a 4C that saw some track time so long as it has been maintained and presents well.

Nonetheless, I also agree with 100% honesty in transactions. Life is too short to not have honor.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts