Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to my fellow car enthusiasts. ( apology in advance for the long post). I thought it would be fun/helpful to get some opinions and discussion on something I have been thinking of doing. I’m going to post this in the Ferrarichat 458 section and also the 308/328 section as well as on the Alfa 4C forum.

My current car situation is as follows. I have an extremely nice 1986 Toyota MR2 all original with 21,500 miles on it, leather interior and fantastic shape in and out. Also a very nice stock turbo 93 MR2 with 71,000 miles on it. Also in fantastic shape. I have Nero metallic 1989 Ferrari 328 with 26,000 miles on it. Again in great shape. And finally I have a 2017 Alfa 4c with 1200 miles on it.

I love all the cars each for their own unique reason. Years ago when I was a kid I always knew that I wanted a Ferrari. A 308 to be specific. Automobile magazine came out and compared the Toyota MR2 to the Ferrari 308. I was in no position at the time to buy a 308 but an MR2 I could make work. To me they were comparing it to a Ferrari and that was close enough for me. I loved the fact that it redlined at 7700 and everyone that reviewed it raved about it. I sold my 87 Fiero and got an 86 MR2.

Then the new MR2s came out and of course they were called the “baby Ferrari “ so I set my sights on those and bought a 91 turbo. Absolutely loved that car! I used to drive it with the steering wheel tilted at the angle of a 308 to get used to it. It was the final stepping stone that I took and finally bought an 83 308 QV and it was a great car. I kept it for almost 6 years and put 20,000 miles on it in that time. Took it on a couple of long trips. It was a great ownership experience.

Basically what I have in my garage now is 3 much nicer versions of the cars I had when i was younger and then the 4C.

The thought of slimming down and simplifying has appeal to me. I also have a couple of motorcycles, I own a business and work a lot. There is only so much time to enjoy the fun things.

At minimum I’ve decided to sell the 2 MR2s and will most likely be listing them on BAT.

This will leave me with the 328 and the 4C which is a fine pair of cars to have that compliment each other well and satisfies the urge to simplify a bit. To me the 328 is just a beautiful car, fun to drive and classic.

The 4C is really an amazing car. There isn’t a time I drive it that I don’t think “ wow....this car is special”

Here is where it’s interesting for me though and where I’m looking for opinions. I got to thinking...if I sold all 4 cars........ ( all are paid for except the 4c and the only reason that isn’t paid for is because I have such a good interest rate. I owe a small amount on it ) I could sell all 4 and get a Ferrari 458! I absolutely LOVE that car. I have only seen one in person one time I think but it sure did make an impression on me. I’ve watched and read tons of reviews. By all accounts the car is amazing.

Trading down 4 to 1 would definitely “simplify” things. I would have plenty of space in the garage that’s for sure. The 458 just seems so “next level” to me. I was set to drive one at the exotic car experience in Las Vegas the first week of April but of course that all got canceled.

That could have answered some questions.

The 328 is classic to me. Sometimes I sit in the garage and just look at it. The lines are so beautiful, I love how small it is compared to todays cars. It’s amazing really to see it next to a modern car. I’m also a big fan of the interior and of course the gated shifter. It’s not a fast car by todays standards but plenty fast enough to have fun and it makes a great sound. Plenty of places you can run it out 1st thru 3rd gear. It’s the car I lusted after as a Boy.

The Alfa....like I said it’s a special car. The carbon fiber tub is a thing of beauty to sit in and the driving experience is fantastic. I love the no power steering and don’t get it at all when reviews complain how hard it is to turn when going slow. To me its a non issue but maybe that’s because the 328 really is hard to turn at slow speeds so I’m used to that. It’s a fast car for sure but not to fast for the street I don’t feel. It also makes great sounds especially for a 4 banger and yeah.....it’s beautiful to look at for sure. I think the 4C is definitely a car that could go up in value in the future as they made so few of them.

So with those two I would have a great mix of old school classic and also a modern sports car.

Both cars are rare and you hardly ever see one on the street. I live in Indiana and have not seen another 308/328 on public since I watched my 308 leave my driveway back in 2006. I’ve only seen one other 4C on the roads here and that was before I bought mine. I like a car that you don’t see on the roads often and I even get that with my MR2s.

Now to the 458. If the 308/328 was what I dreamed of as a Boy. I think the 458 is what I dream of as a grown up. They are absolutely beautiful, the sound to me is unreal and I feel like I would be up near the red line all the time. That steering wheel is all business and I love it! I’m a huge Schumacher fan so I have to say I like that he had input on this car. The engine thru the glass is art. That said I’m torn between the coupe and the spider but that would be a decision for down the road. Everyone says the handling is amazing and I believe it. I wonder though is it to much power for the street? All of my cars now I can have good fun on the street without being a lunatic for the most part. I think the power on the 458 would be intoxicating! I would push it every clear stretch and on ramp but that said I wouldn’t drive like an idiot with other cars around. So.......awesome power but tempered with is it’s to much for the street? Also I wonder if the Alfa would give me 8/10ths of the fun for a fraction of the price.

Reliability seems like a non issue for the most part from what I read so that is good to hear but still I do worry a bit as I’m sure things could get very expensive on that car.

Suspension, transmission, electronics etc. My 328 has been bullet proof ( knock on wood) and The 4C has a good reputation for being reliable plus its under warranty for another 2 1/2 years.

I sure would like to hear what people think. Especially maybe from people that have driven the different cars. One thing I would like to say is I was thinking a lot about this before all of this started with Covid19. I still am not but I’m not sure it’s the best time to be selling cars and I would need to see how things shake out with the economy and business as it gets going again and what “normal” will be like.

Still it’s fun to talk and look and I’ve been doing a lot of looking!

If you read this far thanks for reading !

·
Super Moderator
6,476 Posts
My 2cents. Both the 328 and 4C have useable performance in the real world. Just plain fun you can enjoy again and again. The 458 is beautiful yes, but it’s performance is stratospheric and simply can’t be used on the street. Lovely I’m sure to sit in and a beautiful soundtrack to listen to, but ultimately boring on public roads. The 4C and 328 have all the emotion and feel you’ll ever need.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hello to my fellow car enthusiasts. ( apology in advance for the long post). I thought it would be fun/helpful to get some opinions and discussion on something I have been thinking of doing. I’m going to post this in the Ferrarichat 458 section and also the 308/328 section as well as on the Alfa 4C forum.

My current car situation is as follows. I have an extremely nice 1986 Toyota MR2 all original with 21,500 miles on it, leather interior and fantastic shape in and out. Also a very nice stock turbo 93 MR2 with 71,000 miles on it. Also in fantastic shape. I have Nero metallic 1989 Ferrari 328 with 26,000 miles on it. Again in great shape. And finally I have a 2017 Alfa 4c with 1200 miles on it.

I love all the cars each for their own unique reason. Years ago when I was a kid I always knew that I wanted a Ferrari. A 308 to be specific. Automobile magazine came out and compared the Toyota MR2 to the Ferrari 308. I was in no position at the time to buy a 308 but an MR2 I could make work. To me they were comparing it to a Ferrari and that was close enough for me. I loved the fact that it redlined at 7700 and everyone that reviewed it raved about it. I sold my 87 Fiero and got an 86 MR2.

Then the new MR2s came out and of course they were called the “baby Ferrari “ so I set my sights on those and bought a 91 turbo. Absolutely loved that car! I used to drive it with the steering wheel tilted at the angle of a 308 to get used to it. It was the final stepping stone that I took and finally bought an 83 308 QV and it was a great car. I kept it for almost 6 years and put 20,000 miles on it in that time. Took it on a couple of long trips. It was a great ownership experience.

Basically what I have in my garage now is 3 much nicer versions of the cars I had when i was younger and then the 4C.

The thought of slimming down and simplifying has appeal to me. I also have a couple of motorcycles, I own a business and work a lot. There is only so much time to enjoy the fun things.

At minimum I’ve decided to sell the 2 MR2s and will most likely be listing them on BAT.

This will leave me with the 328 and the 4C which is a fine pair of cars to have that compliment each other well and satisfies the urge to simplify a bit. To me the 328 is just a beautiful car, fun to drive and classic.

The 4C is really an amazing car. There isn’t a time I drive it that I don’t think “ wow....this car is special”

Here is where it’s interesting for me though and where I’m looking for opinions. I got to thinking...if I sold all 4 cars........ ( all are paid for except the 4c and the only reason that isn’t paid for is because I have such a good interest rate. I owe a small amount on it ) I could sell all 4 and get a Ferrari 458! I absolutely LOVE that car. I have only seen one in person one time I think but it sure did make an impression on me. I’ve watched and read tons of reviews. By all accounts the car is amazing.

Trading down 4 to 1 would definitely “simplify” things. I would have plenty of space in the garage that’s for sure. The 458 just seems so “next level” to me. I was set to drive one at the exotic car experience in Las Vegas the first week of April but of course that all got canceled.

That could have answered some questions.

The 328 is classic to me. Sometimes I sit in the garage and just look at it. The lines are so beautiful, I love how small it is compared to todays cars. It’s amazing really to see it next to a modern car. I’m also a big fan of the interior and of course the gated shifter. It’s not a fast car by todays standards but plenty fast enough to have fun and it makes a great sound. Plenty of places you can run it out 1st thru 3rd gear. It’s the car I lusted after as a Boy.

The Alfa....like I said it’s a special car. The carbon fiber tub is a thing of beauty to sit in and the driving experience is fantastic. I love the no power steering and don’t get it at all when reviews complain how hard it is to turn when going slow. To me its a non issue but maybe that’s because the 328 really is hard to turn at slow speeds so I’m used to that. It’s a fast car for sure but not to fast for the street I don’t feel. It also makes great sounds especially for a 4 banger and yeah.....it’s beautiful to look at for sure. I think the 4C is definitely a car that could go up in value in the future as they made so few of them.

So with those two I would have a great mix of old school classic and also a modern sports car.

Both cars are rare and you hardly ever see one on the street. I live in Indiana and have not seen another 308/328 on public since I watched my 308 leave my driveway back in 2006. I’ve only seen one other 4C on the roads here and that was before I bought mine. I like a car that you don’t see on the roads often and I even get that with my MR2s.

Now to the 458. If the 308/328 was what I dreamed of as a Boy. I think the 458 is what I dream of as a grown up. They are absolutely beautiful, the sound to me is unreal and I feel like I would be up near the red line all the time. That steering wheel is all business and I love it! I’m a huge Schumacher fan so I have to say I like that he had input on this car. The engine thru the glass is art. That said I’m torn between the coupe and the spider but that would be a decision for down the road. Everyone says the handling is amazing and I believe it. I wonder though is it to much power for the street? All of my cars now I can have good fun on the street without being a lunatic for the most part. I think the power on the 458 would be intoxicating! I would push it every clear stretch and on ramp but that said I wouldn’t drive like an idiot with other cars around. So.......awesome power but tempered with is it’s to much for the street? Also I wonder if the Alfa would give me 8/10ths of the fun for a fraction of the price.

Reliability seems like a non issue for the most part from what I read so that is good to hear but still I do worry a bit as I’m sure things could get very expensive on that car.

Suspension, transmission, electronics etc. My 328 has been bullet proof ( knock on wood) and The 4C has a good reputation for being reliable plus its under warranty for another 2 1/2 years.

I sure would like to hear what people think. Especially maybe from people that have driven the different cars. One thing I would like to say is I was thinking a lot about this before all of this started with Covid19. I still am not but I’m not sure it’s the best time to be selling cars and I would need to see how things shake out with the economy and business as it gets going again and what “normal” will be like.

Still it’s fun to talk and look and I’ve been doing a lot of looking!

If you read this far thanks for reading !
....you had me at 328, 4C...
but do as your heart whispers to you, all are wonderful!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the posts Guys!
Gosh top notch comments ...
It’s funny I go thru all kinds of scenarios and a lot of it involves trying to keep the 4C.
360 or 430 isn’t a bad suggestion either.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh man, that's a very enviable situation to have. On car sales during covid and its immediate aftermath...the outlook is probably not great, especially for cars like the ones you'd be selling, since they'd be toys for someone, and most people with money to spare right now seem to be dumping it all into the markets, or holding out for exceptional deals. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like the best time to sell until things stabilize. When they do, you may see a pricing spike, especially on classics, like after the 2008 crisis. With that said, it'd probably be a great time to get a 458, and it's doubtful those will increase too much in value anytime soon.

On whether or not to actually sell all four and buy a 458, that's very much a personal choice. Nothing about an exotic mid-engined sports car is rational, so it's hard to make a rational case one way or the other. I do see what you're saying about the appeal of simplifying and going down to one car though. I've never driven a 458, but have driven a 488 on track in one of those Las Vegas exotic car drives like you were talking about. I was....underwhelmed.

As others have said, you can't really exploit all of the power on the street. Even on the track, it wasn't really fun. Especially when compared with the 4C. I drove the 488 back to back with a Lamborghini Huracan. The Ferrari put down the better lap, but the Lambo is the one I'd buy 10 times out of 10. Much more fun and raw. It reminded me a lot of the 4C, just faster and with a V10 soundtrack.

If the 458 is what you really want, than nothing will replace it, but if you are looking for the experience, I think you have a perfect 1-2 combo with the 328 and 4C. The 4C seems to give much of the high-tech, striking, modern, super car feel, and sense of awe that a 458 has, but with usable performance for the streets. It seems like the more fun and exciting car for real-world conditions.

The 328 is immensely cool, especially since yours is in a color other than Rosso Corsa (not that it's a bad color, I just feel that a lot of the other colors like black, blue, silver, and grey, better suite the lines of a 3X8 Ferrari). It's been said that a 328 is one of the best built, and most reliable Ferraris, and one of the last that is fairly easy to repair. It's got a great classic vibe that is only going to get more desirable as time goes on and Ferrari drifts further away from their past. It delivers an old-school feeling and passion that no modern Ferrari is ever going to have, especially with the great feel of that gated shifter, manual steering, and sleek, Dino-derived styling. I think after a few months with a 458, you'd miss both the 4C and 328...a lot!

I can't speak for the MR2s, I've never had the pleasure of driving one. However, they seem very cool and fun. Somebody here on base has a beautiful 2nd gen MR2 that I always stare at every time I see it. Very gorgeous car. Yet, the 4C and 328 are, IMHO, even more beautiful, and I'd guess the MR2s provide a similar, just toned down, experience somewhere between the 328 and 4C. If it were me, and I wanted to simplify down from 4 cars, I'd sell the MR2s when the classic car market stabilizes, and enjoy the two amazing cars left in the stable as often as possible.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Selling four cars for one great car is a good idea. Having less to maintain, and store, and insure, and ... I could go on. Anyway, I have not regretted selling any possessions, and if the 458 is what you really want, I say go for it. I would definitely test one out first to make sure the driving experience is what you are hoping for.

·
Registered
181 Posts
PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.
My wife and I own 21 cars as diverse as a 2008 Ford Escape to a 1951 Alfa Romeo Matta, a Dino 308gt4 and an SL500. What I like about the cars is the difference in the experience of driving each one. It's like a different flavor of food... I would have to say that my favorite ride is the 308gt4 because it is fast enough to require your full attention but not so fast that you're in over your head. I love the 4C and will own it until they pry my cold dead fingers from the keys but realistically, on the road, it and my wife's Boxster S are really too much car. In order to get near where the car is working you will be traveling several times the speed limit with absolutely no room for error on a public street. I am not slow by any stretch of the imagination but if anyone wants to ask my wife, she will tell you the 4C is the first car I've every taken her for a ride in where she cried uncle! She is infamous for making it from South of the Border to the Georgia state line in 2 hours flat in our 164L many years ago. As an ex-racer, I am not a track day guy (I will not comment further on track days) and track days beat the crap out of street cars. My enjoyment is using the different cars and experience them over the road. As I wrote in this forum I had a chance to drive a 70s vintage 400i GT over about 15 - 20 miles of state back roads and I can assure you all two tons of it never put a foot wrong at well over 20+ mph above the posted speed limit the whole time. The owner of the 400 was driving my Dino and he was well in front of me the whole way. What I am getting at is while the 458 and cars of that ilk may be very special, unless you live in Europe you'll never get to really "use" them as intended unless you want to risk them on a track, or you want to risk you license/jail/wreck on the street.
I'd keep my favorite MR2 and the 328 and maybe buy one of the Subaru BRZ/Toyota FRS86s as a daily driver. I recently drove a Hakone Special Edition, it is very nice middleweight GT car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is the most "first world problem" to have, but it's fun to weigh in :) I watch "Normal guy Supercar" on youtube, you should check it out. He had a 430 and a 458, and compared them in this video. Check it out, it might help. You can also check out his other videos on the 458 where he goes over maintenance costs etc. Sounds like it might be quite expensive to keep a 458. Of course, my advice is to keep the 4C since it's the greatest car ever, but I'm biased ;)

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,970 Posts
Check how many 4Cs are showing up on used car market....now look at 458s. There are a LOT more 458s that were sold and being resold. I think that will hurt the 458 values down the road. The 4C sold in much smaller numbers so that MAY translate into keeping its resale value up. It was also a very unique car so that may help also. Of course guessing at future value is always fraught with danger.....who would have guessed the world situation we are in now and how that will affect car prices. I do know the 458 is extremely expensive to maintain. That 328 with a manual gated trans will be the one to keep as well as the 4C. As you said.....there are cars that are faster on paper, but in reality you will never get the feel on the street that you get from a 4C. Other than that....watch out for the earlier Ferrari generations of their paddle shifter cars. A friend has a 360 with the the first gen auto paddle shifter....goes thru clutches like water. That is why the gated 360s go for twice what an auto shifter does. Thankfully the newer generation of these are much longer lived and reliable. The 4C DCT is a very good one and with long lived clutches.

Maintenance, consumables, and insurance cost is an advantage of the 4C compared to other similar sports cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You Guys feed back it great and I it’s really fun to hear other car guys opinion.
Stuckbehindaprius -it’s DEFINITELY a first world problem. I actually wrestled with if I should even post it with all that’s going on, unemployment so high, so many people sick or struggling etc. In the end I figured lots of car talk going on still so I figured I might as well go ahead. I did hope it would be a fun back and forth conversation to kick around and that’s what it’s turning out to be. And yes Sir I’ve definitely been watching Normalguysupercar videos. I dig his stuff.

Underground4C - you literally got a “WOW” out of me saying the 488 was underwhelming on the track. I wouldn’t expect to hear that. You make a lot of good points. As everyone is...

The Subaru BRZ or Toyota FRS86 are fun suggestions but I need a little more space for my daily. My daily driver I trade between a 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TT and a 2001 Toyota Tacoma.

When things get back open I’m going to re book the track day in Vegas to drive the 458.The trip is practically paid for anyway. I have a gift certificate to the track experience I got for my birthday a while back. A credit from Southwest for my canceled trip. So I’ll just need hotel which I’m guessing I will be able to get for cheap.

I’ll post up a few pics of the cars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would do as you suggest. Sell all four and buy a "fill in the blank". If the 458 is your car; go for it. Life will be so much easier with one car, one insurance, one car to maintain, clean, etc... I assume you have a "daily" car? Not that the 458 couldn't handle it. If I could own one modern Ferrari in a situation like yours it would be the F12 or California/Portofino. Just have that edge of utility and not looking like "your just another a-hole in a Ferrari" like the rear engine models. F12 is my dream regular Ferrari. Really amazing.

Think of how much space you'll have and less things on shoulder to care for.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The 458 is clearly calling your name. Sell all 4 and go for it.

As a completely different alternative, you could sell the two MR2s and the 328 and get a nice 997.2 GT3. Not a Ferrari, but a fantastic car nonetheless, far more capable than a 360 (and without the goofy 1988 Celica front bumper) and with a lot of personality.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The 458 is clearly calling your name. Sell all 4 and go for it.

As a completely different alternative, you could sell the two MR2s and the 328 and get a nice 997.2 GT3. Not a Ferrari, but a fantastic car nonetheless, far more capable than a 360 (and without the goofy 1988 Celica front bumper) and with a lot of personality.
Celica? Sorry, I love the 80's Celica, but how does something that looks closer to a Dino be Celica like? Just my 0.02cent CDN....
Peace :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts