Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sell 3 cars. Keep the 4C. Buy the C8 as a daily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I like the other suggestions people are throwing out.
Ok so my Buddy is a HUGE gt3 guy so I would love that one to him.
I have a Buddy that works for GM and send me pics of the C8. Man GM did an awesome job on that car!
It’s funny the F12 was mentioned. That car never did much for me. Then the other day there was one on Bat and they had 2 driving videos ...
WOW!....yeah I get them now. Very cool cars!

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It’s funny you say that about the color.
That car was listed on Bat and like 30 min from me here in Indy.
it was RNM so I thought...”let me just go look at it..I don’t want white but I want to see it”
But damn ! The madreperla tri coat white blew me away in person!
And so I traded in my 05 Mazda speed Miata on it ( that I had owned for 3 months ).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do not sell the 328 and the 4C - you will regret it otherwise in the future because cars like these will not be build again and will not appear too often for sale.
However, a lot of well-kept 458 will show up again and again; save the bucks for a couple of years and add the 458 to your nice collection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Do not sell the 328 and the 4C - you will regret it otherwise in the future because cars like these will not be build again and will not appear too often for sale.
However, a lot of well-kept 458 will show up again and again; save the bucks for a couple of years and add the 458 to your nice collection.
it’s an interesting point because right now listed on Autotrader there are 17-328s, 65- 4Cs and 190- 458s.

I like your “ be patient and add the 458 later” suggestion !

·
Registered
250 Posts
Definitely keep the 328 and 4c. Ditch the MR2s. As others have said, both 328 and 4c have plenty of speed for the street. A 458 ferrari would become boring after the honeymoon period.
It's always better to drive a slower car fast than faster car slow. Not that the 4c/328 are Slow (just relative to 458).

·
Registered
413 Posts
458 is amazing. I'd get rid of them all and buy it. Last non turbo Ferrari. You'll tell your grandchildren about it. Another chapter in your story. You're lucky to have owned ur dream cars. Don't let them hold you bakc fulfilling more dreams.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I get liking different drives but why not broaden the spectrum? how about keeping you favourite mid engine sports car and add a front engine? California is a lot of car for the money and so are 575.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Celica? Sorry, I love the 80's Celica, but how does something that looks closer to a Dino be Celica like? Just my 0.02cent CDN....
Peace :)
View attachment 106750
I don't think it looks much like the Dino. The dino was pointy at the front. The big flat tall front bumper on the 360 is very reminiscent of the Celica instead. On another forum I read this thing once, which I think is spot-on:

"A sidewalk observer's guide to the mid-engined V8 Ferraris:

308 GTS/S: Could only be a Ferrari.

308 GT4: I hear those handle really well.

Mondial: Isn't that the Ferrari that Gary drove in Weird Science?

GTO: OMG, that Ferrari is the business.

328: Yep, that's a Ferrari.

348: Mmm, well...it is a Ferrari.

355: Ferrari is BACK!

360: Uh, is that the new Celica? (CS excepted)

430: Pretty sure that's a Ferrari, but what's the story with the front bumper again? (Scud excepted)

458: Ferrari is BACK!

488: Yep."

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,071 Posts
It would be interesting to put the 458 on a track but if you don't spend a lot of time there a better trial would be driving it on the streets you drive everyday. Especially so if you have some curvy roads. You may find that it is a bit out of its comfort zone....fast straights and fast corners. For those tighter roads/curves you may find the 4C to be a more fun match. Frankly I think the 4C is a prettier car also but I am biased ;) No denying the 458 is a great car but I prefer the bit older Ferrari's. The latest tends to be a bit overdone body wise. But it is your car and your money so I would make your decision from your heart.

·
Super Moderator
14,728 Posts
Wow, a dilemma that I understand.
The 458 has been my dream car since I first became aware of it.
It was in my mind when I saw the 4C, and owning one of these will probably be as close as I’ll ever get to the Ferrari. I’m not unhappy about that - as we all know, the little Alfa punches way above its weight in terms of driving experience, looks, and just putting a smile on its owner’s face. Then you look at the investment, insurance, and operating costs (uh-oh, left brain intruding here), especially where I live makes fun car driving season only 6 months long.

In your case, it’s close to a wash in terms of those costs once you divest of all those cars in favour of the 458. Don’t expect to save any money in the end, but you knew that. So I can really see how this thought is appealing.

But variety is the spice of life, and the different driving experiences you now have makes your current stable pretty special. No offence, but I think you may have outgrown the two Toyotas. They are special because of their connection to your youth, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, in the Ferrari and the Alfa, you have a classic and a modern version of the ultimate on-street driving machines. Nothing like those cars will ever happen again.

The resale market isn’t stellar right now. Although I do not follow F-car values, I doubt that they will fall as much as the 4C and Toyotae. Personally, I would try selling one of the MR-2’s if you can get a decent dollar (not auction them off on BAT), and then the other. Then, you are in a better position to jump if you decide to down the road. It also solves some of your “I don’t have time to enjoy all of my cars” guilt. And you can be happy that these cars will continue to be special to another owner - somebody who is just starting their automotive journey like you were all those years ago!

Finally, don’t make any decisions about the final move until you’ve driven the 458. I agree with the post(s) above that a track experience is only half the story. Rent one for the street (also in Vegas, or through Truro somewhere, etc). You are in an enviable automotive position right now, and if it were me I would want to be damn sure in my own mind before I took the plunge.

Meanwhile, it is fun to dream and plan. Just don’t work yourself into a lather about it and make a decision just to stop torturing yourself. Been there, done that, regretted it. Except with the 4c(s). So sometimes that story has a happy ending, right?

Good luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't think it looks much like the Dino. The dino was pointy at the front. The big flat tall front bumper on the 360 is very reminiscent of the Celica instead. On another forum I read this thing once, which I think is spot-on:

"A sidewalk observer's guide to the mid-engined V8 Ferraris:

308 GTS/S: Could only be a Ferrari.

308 GT4: I hear those handle really well.

Mondial: Isn't that the Ferrari that Gary drove in Weird Science?

GTO: OMG, that Ferrari is the business.

328: Yep, that's a Ferrari.

348: Mmm, well...it is a Ferrari.

355: Ferrari is BACK!

360: Uh, is that the new Celica? (CS excepted)

430: Pretty sure that's a Ferrari, but what's the story with the front bumper again? (Scud excepted)

458: Ferrari is BACK!

488: Yep."
Drive one, have a glass of wine and follow its shape, and maybe, just maybe you might visualize how it moved from the (beautiful edge design of the 355 era) to the 'flow' of the previous Dino era... I appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are various (many) threads which you continually refer to this as a Celica, and with all due respect (and I love and have driven the Celica of that era -good friend owned several), I, respectfully disagree, the last thing that comes to my mind when I look at my 360 is a Celica. Cheers!

I have included a Wheels article which shows the 'overhang' of the Dino and a picture of the Celica that Mr. Lorenzo Ramaciotti must have copied...

Sorry, three front ends, but when I look at the 1988 Celica, I truly do not see the remote resemblance to the next two pictures :)

Fun Fact: a quote from motorbisquit.com
"But, in some ways, the 360 was also the swan-song for certain Ferrari trademarks. For one, it was the last Ferrari to use the Dino-derived V8, which by this point displaced 3.6 liters and put out 400 hp, Jalopnik reports. Oh, and it redlined at 8700 RPM while letting the car hit 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, Hagerty reports."

I, once again, can appreciate you position on design, I just do not necessarily agree.
So Sorry (SCUZAMI) OP, but you have some choices to make :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
However, in the Ferrari and the Alfa, you have a classic and a modern version of the ultimate on-street driving machines. Nothing like those cars will ever happen again.
Could not agree more! In addition, with "E" Hypercars and MinivanSUPERspeed Vehicles around the corner, all of the combustion engine cars will be Stop Light Run obliterated (NOT that I'm condoning any such behaviour! lol). Personally, as years go by, the 'beauty' and 'personality' of the car trumps the outright speed or performance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the great responses. I am (like all of us I would imagine) exhausted with the constant barrage of news ( mostly bad) and this thread has been interesting and a lot of fun for me to read. A lot of great advice and the out of the box suggestions are fun to consider also.
Keeping a mid engine and adding a front engine 12 cylinder is something I hadn’t thought of.
I have played around with SO many car combinations.
The Japanese car market has been heating up and MR2s have been gaining traction and going for good money on Bat.
It’s like I’m trying to solve a car combination rubics cube lol!
Here I will throw another my brain kicked around.
Sell the 2 MR2, the FJ cruiser ( which also go for good money and mine is last year low miles) and the 328.
Get the 458 and drive the 4C on nice days and the 2001 Tacoma on crappy days.
Or....
Lol...I’ll spare you guys the others.
But again....really thanks for making this a fun thread. And you guys have great suggestions.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts