Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
3,974 Posts
Could not agree more! In addition, with "E" Hypercars and MinivanSUPERspeed Vehicles around the corner, all of the combustion engine cars will be Stop Light Run obliterated (NOT that I'm condoning any such behaviour! lol). Personally, as years go by, the 'beauty' and 'personality' of the car trumps the outright speed or performance.
(y) (y) ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Drive one, have a glass of wine and follow its shape, and maybe, just maybe you might visualize how it moved from the (beautiful edge design of the 355 era) to the 'flow' of the previous Dino era... I appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are various (many) threads which you continually refer to this as a Celica, and with all due respect (and I love and have driven the Celica of that era -good friend owned several), I, respectfully disagree, the last thing that comes to my mind when I look at my 360 is a Celica. Cheers!

I have included a Wheels article which shows the 'overhang' of the Dino and a picture of the Celica that Mr. Lorenzo Ramaciotti must have copied...

Sorry, three front ends, but when I look at the 1988 Celica, I truly do not see the remote resemblance to the next two pictures :)
View attachment 106767

View attachment 106768

View attachment 106769

Fun Fact: a quote from motorbisquit.com
"But, in some ways, the 360 was also the swan-song for certain Ferrari trademarks. For one, it was the last Ferrari to use the Dino-derived V8, which by this point displaced 3.6 liters and put out 400 hp, Jalopnik reports. Oh, and it redlined at 8700 RPM while letting the car hit 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, Hagerty reports."

I, once again, can appreciate you position on design, I just do not necessarily agree.
So Sorry (SCUZAMI) OP, but you have some choices to make :)
Sorry it's not just me, I did not make up that humorous "guide to V8 Ferrari".

Now look at the fat flat tall front bumper of this 1992 Celica and I'm sure you'll see what people mean. Anyhow it's great that you love how the 360 looks, to each one his own. Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
214 Posts

Now look at the fat flat tall front bumper of this 1992 Celica and I'm sure you'll see what people mean. Anyhow it's great that you love how the 360 looks, to each one his own. Enjoy in good health!
The Celica in this picture is actually a great looking car. I see more 550 Maranello. Hood scoop, five spoke wheels, red, front engine, and it came out first!

·
Registered
649 Posts

View attachment 106776
Uhmmmm, ok, we disagree lol.
You actually started the comparison with the 1988 generation T140 and now I guess it is comparable to the T160?
Btw, it has nothing to do with my liking the 360, and although car manufactures copy (STEAL i.e. Mazda Mk2 rx7 using doors similar to Porsche 928? etc) all the time I see no resemblance from this model to a 360. As noted, a red 550 Maranello, possibly, a 365 GTB/4 maybe....

the flowing shape of a 360 whose aerodynamics make it feel more stable at close to 300km/hr than other cars I've driven at 200km/hr....

nope.
Maybe you might find someone who agrees, or maybe I should be drinking scotch instead of wine when I try to see the comparison. But Giugiaro et.al. did assist in some of Toyota's designs, and then there is also

Moderator, please feel free to delete or move on to a different post, maybe "Cars That Copied Other Cars" and we can all share our opinions onward in that thread.

OP... 458 is SEXY AS F... but you will regret the GATED shifter...it is something, in my opinion, very unique and special in Automotive History....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Uhmmmm, ok, we disagree lol.
You actually started the comparison with the 1988 generation T140 and now I guess it is comparable to the T160?
Btw, it has nothing to do with my liking the 360, and although car manufactures copy (STEAL i.e. Mazda Mk2 rx7 using doors similar to Porsche 928? etc) all the time I see no resemblance from this model to a 360. As noted, a red 550 Maranello, possibly, a 365 GTB/4 maybe....
View attachment 106807

the flowing shape of a 360 whose aerodynamics make it feel more stable at close to 300km/hr than other cars I've driven at 200km/hr....
View attachment 106808

nope.
Maybe you might find someone who agrees, or maybe I should be drinking scotch instead of wine when I try to see the comparison. But Giugiaro et.al. did assist in some of Toyota's designs, and then there is also

Moderator, please feel free to delete or move on to a different post, maybe "Cars That Copied Other Cars" and we can all share our opinions onward in that thread.

OP... 458 is SEXY AS F... but you will regret the GATED shifter...it is something, in my opinion, very unique and special in Automotive History....
I drove the 328 yesterday and I did think how much I would miss it so I hear ya.

And hey no need to move the comments on my account! It’s all interesting reading to me and if I didn’t get another comment on my original post everyone here has been more than gracious with their input so it’s all gravy.

I’ll chime in....
I think the Celica nose kinda looks like a 550....or the 550 looks like it :)
you know I love Toyotas and Ferrari’s so I’m good with either lol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's a good spot to be in when you can consider owning a 458! ;)

I've been in a few (including a Speciale) and they are awesome cars! To be honest, one of my top three that would be a dream to own (the other two being a McLaren 570s or a Lamborghini Gallardo). I like the ability to have a few different cars for a few different purposes. However my main concern is how I use my cars. I like to track all of the cars I own (we'll except for the FJ but it has been a pace vehicle before!). If I owned one of those three cars, I doubt I would ever put it on the track. Mainly because I don't feel like I have the reserve finances to handle it if something were to break from that type of driving. My S2000 race car, 4C and Jag are cost effective to track and repair (if needed). They are no 458, but I don't think where I'm at in my life right now, a car like that would make sense for me and what I want to do.

Think about how you use your cars and see what makes sense for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I drove the 328 yesterday and I did think how much I would miss it so I hear ya.

And hey no need to move the comments on my account! It’s all interesting reading to me and if I didn’t get another comment on my original post everyone here has been more than gracious with their input so it’s all gravy.

I’ll chime in....
I think the Celica nose kinda looks like a 550....or the 550 looks like it :)
you know I love Toyotas and Ferrari’s so I’m good with either lol.
I TOTALLY appreciate ALL beautiful and timeless designs, and the Celica most definitely falls into that group (y), I used to joke that the MR2 was essentially a reliable X19 (must be just me lol). I would also consider a fair "design" comparison to the 456..

I just don't see it in the 360 :unsure: (must be only me lol), and as for front overhangs, Fcars were typically prone to that due to their function (i.e. 360 Front Radiators etc)....even the DINO has a huge snout! Must be Italiano Heritage lol. But your gated shifter:love::love::love:....well, let's put it this way, every time I shift I figure it cost $20-$50 per click....but MAN DOES IT SOUND BETTER than a Rolex winding! hahahaaa :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another option:

Sell the Mk1 MR2. Keep the Mk2 MR2. The mk2 is vastly superior in every way to the mk1. The Mk2 came out during Toyota's golden age of over-engineering and fantastic Gran Turismo cars.
Sell the 4C.
Keep the 328, for a short period.
Buy the 458, give it a year to see how you like it.

The MR2 will give you the driving experience of the 328, just with better everything.
The 458 will give you the driving experience that only Ferraris seem to give you, as well as be a more than suitable replacement to the 4C.

Now, if you love the 458, keep it, and sell the 328.
If you don't, sell the 458, keep the 328, buy another 4C.

4Cs are hilariously cheap. There are nearly 20 low mileage 4Cs for sale on Autotrader right now for under $50k, and there's usually one that dips into the 30s every month or so. Dealers were selling them brand new with insane discounts. So, you could easily sell yours and buy another one and break even.

·
Super Moderator
6,501 Posts
On a 4C forum, the creation of which is to bring 4C owners together to share the enjoyment, a member is advising someone to sell their 4C. Tell me we aren't in strange times.
I agree, Borca. There are always a couple of fish that like to swim against the tide.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
A supercharged 1989 MR2 with 49k miles hammered today for 23,500 today on Bat.
Granted its a supercharged but mine has half the miles and is in better shape than the one that sold today.
Planning on submitting it to Bat in about a month.
Always has a soft spot for the X 1/9s And wanted one when I was young. I looked at them for my first car. Lots of them in ROUGH shape. I had an offer on one that had a rust hole in the floor and I was convinced I would just fix it. The guy called the next day and said it sold. I always had a sneaking suspicion my Dad called him and said “ you’re not selling that POS to my son! My Dad later tactfully steered me into a 74 mustang 2 for my first car lol. Traded that in on a brand new 1987 Fiero when I was 18 or 19 and Man did I think I was cool!
Hell I still kind of want an X 1/9. Would love to buy a nice one and just show up at my Dads farm some day.

I was supposed to track the 4C a couple weekends ago with a Buddy of mine that races but of course it got canceled.
Hopefully that is still in the cards.

Some have suggested carrying the 458 for a bit to see how I like it which isn’t an awful idea. And then decide what to sell. I could finance it for a bit and the decide.......
I won’t lie. It’s not like they have a ton of problems but the thought of the transmission giving me problems on the 458 gives me some worry.

The 328 and 4c I feel like I would have 2 reliable cars.

·
Registered
643 Posts
What's your budget on a 458?. What kind of mileage are you looking at?. Less than 10K Miles? Greater than 30K miles?. Just curious.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some have suggested carrying the 458 for a bit to see how I like it which isn’t an awful idea. And then decide what to sell. I could finance it for a bit and the decide.......
I won’t lie. It’s not like they have a ton of problems but the thought of the transmission giving me problems on the 458 gives me some worry.

The 328 and 4c I feel like I would have 2 reliable cars.
That's a big expense to see if you like it or not. Between sales tax and all that; the entry fee is quite high. Why wouldn't you like the 458? If you are worried on the transmission, then don't buy any kind of exotic car. 458 is a great car and everyone generally loves it who owns one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
On a 4C forum, the creation of which is to bring 4C owners together to share the enjoyment, a member is advising someone to sell their 4C. Tell me we aren't in strange times.
its almost like some people can be unbiased in their opinions and suggestions :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
What's your budget on a 458?. What kind of mileage are you looking at?. Less than 10K Miles? Greater than 30K miles?. Just curious.
I tend to look at ones int the 160 ranges or so. Or just about that I could negotiate down to 160s or so.
Milage I would say mid teens to 20s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That's a big expense to see if you like it or not. Between sales tax and all that; the entry fee is quite high. Why wouldn't you like the 458? If you are worried on the transmission, then don't buy any kind of exotic car. 458 is a great car and everyone generally loves it who owns one.
Yes that’s is an excellent point about the sales tax which would essentially just be flushed money and wasted if I kept it just a short time.
And about the transmission. Yeah I’m worried about being on the wrong end of a 20k repair although I realize it’s probably low risk. I could afford to fix it but Man I sure as hell wouldn’t like it !!!
But....good points you make and I can’t imagine I wouldn’t like it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes that’s is an excellent point about the sales tax which would essentially just be flushed money and wasted if I kept it just a short time.
And about the transmission. Yeah I’m worried about being on the wrong end of a 20k repair although I realize it’s probably low risk. I could afford to fix it but Man I sure as hell wouldn’t like it !!!
But....good points you make and I can’t imagine I wouldn’t like it.
Had a friend (since passed, RIP) to which I essentially shared with him: "get and keep whatever makes YOU happy, if you bought the Ferrari to impress the Blonde at the light, get RID of it, if you bought it because you don't know how you found yourself in the garage staring at it at 2am....KEEP IT!"
IF my 360 was 1/3 to 1/4 smaller scale I would have never bought the 4C...oh wait isn't a 4C a small scale Fcar?
Each of your cars are 'special' to YOU...that is ALL that matters.

All the BEST......
editor note: keep the 4C/328....keep the 4C/328....keep the 4C/328...hahhhaaa :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had a friend (since passed, RIP) to which I essentially shared with him: "get and keep whatever makes YOU happy, if you bought the Ferrari to impress the Blonde at the light, get RID of it...
Nothing wrong with using a car as tool to get laid. Some people have great looks, charm, notoriety, but some just have a cool car going for them.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts