Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a car as tool to get laid. Some people have great looks, charm, notoriety, but some just have a cool car going for them.
LOL
I actually edited some part of what I "may have" told him
i.e. CHEAPER to buy a date dinner to drop your pants than to pay Ferrari to drop your engine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Had a friend (since passed, RIP) to which I essentially shared with him: "get and keep whatever makes YOU happy, if you bought the Ferrari to impress the Blonde at the light, get RID of it, if you bought it because you don't know how you found yourself in the garage staring at it at 2am....KEEP IT!"
IF my 360 was 1/3 to 1/4 smaller scale I would have never bought the 4C...oh wait isn't a 4C a small scale Fcar?
Each of your cars are 'special' to YOU...that is ALL that matters.

All the BEST......
editor note: keep the 4C/328....keep the 4C/328....keep the 4C/328...hahhhaaa :p
It’s funny you say that about going out into the garage and just staring at them. Often my routine at night is I take the dog out and just go in the garage and sit in the chair and just.......chill out and look at the cars. Maybe wipe down a spot I see etc. It’s a pretty relaxing way to end the day actually.
I like sharing the Ferrari experience with people and I notice the 4c is the same. People just come up and talk to you and I found 99% of them to be nice.
One time years ago I had a 308 and I took it to work and a friend of mine was there and wanted to see it. We were walking out back to where it was parked and along the way he told a few other people we were going to see a Ferrari and it ended up being 4 guys plus me going out all to look at the car
I said to my one friend “ do yo want to take it for a spin”? hell yeah he did and off he went.
He came back a few min later with a HUGE grin on his face and I said to the next guy Tom, “ you want to go? “ hell yeah! And off he went, then the next guy and the next. Each one drove it and the smile on their face when they came back was gold. I’m only in touch with the one guy but I would occasionally bump into the others and they would always bring up “when they drove my Ferrari”
I have a young Kid I became friends with while he came up and talked to me while I was parked at Cracker Barrel.
Another time I was in the Alfa ( also at Cracker Barrel) and was sitting in the car which has tinted windows.
A couple of people came up and were looking it over and talking about it.
They came around to the front and said “opps......he’s in it”
I got out and talked to them and they had a lot of nice things to say about the car. “Didn’t know Alfa Romeo was around anymore etc”
Anyway the point being the cars have been windows to meeting a lot of nice people and good experiences.

It’s almost 2am now....I should maybe go out to the garage lol!

·
Registered
763 Posts
It’s funny you say that about going out into the garage and just staring at them. Often my routine at night is I take the dog out and just go in the garage and sit in the chair and just.......chill out and look at the cars. Maybe wipe down a spot I see etc. It’s a pretty relaxing way to end the day actually.
I like sharing the Ferrari experience with people and I notice the 4c is the same. People just come up and talk to you and I found 99% of them to be nice.
One time years ago I had a 308 and I took it to work and a friend of mine was there and wanted to see it. We were walking out back to where it was parked and along the way he told a few other people we were going to see a Ferrari and it ended up being 4 guys plus me going out all to look at the car
I said to my one friend “ do yo want to take it for a spin”? hell yeah he did and off he went.
He came back a few min later with a HUGE grin on his face and I said to the next guy Tom, “ you want to go? “ hell yeah! And off he went, then the next guy and the next. Each one drove it and the smile on their face when they came back was gold. I’m only in touch with the one guy but I would occasionally bump into the others and they would always bring up “when they drove my Ferrari”
I have a young Kid I became friends with while he came up and talked to me while I was parked at Cracker Barrel.
Another time I was in the Alfa ( also at Cracker Barrel) and was sitting in the car which has tinted windows.
A couple of people came up and were looking it over and talking about it.
They came around to the front and said “opps......he’s in it”
I got out and talked to them and they had a lot of nice things to say about the car. “Didn’t know Alfa Romeo was around anymore etc”
Anyway the point being the cars have been windows to meeting a lot of nice people and good experiences.

It’s almost 2am now....I should maybe go out to the garage lol!
I've had a few of those experiences as well, last one being a very young family visiting from Australia and outside (and I mean the OUTER EDGE Outside of) the Costco parking lot they approached the 4C before I did. They were well distanced and admiring with the father telling the son to not get too close, I chuckled and said "I did the same with my daughters at that age, but I think he should have a seat in the proper chair....which is on the LEFT". They were shocked and I ended up taking pictures of them next to the car while the son was beaming in the driver's seat. We chatted a bit more and as they left I smiled, thinking that one instance like this, overrides the 10 idiot instances where jealous jerks try to cut you off, etc.
Having anything that makes you smile....is worth it..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pizzadude might you also be called Pizzaman on Ferrarichat? Doesn't matter though. I've worked as an engineer for 30 years of my adult life until I decided to make some real money. I quit my nice comfy job and opened a manufacturing facility and pumped every penny into it. This information is a precursor to what I'm about to tell you about exotic cars. I went from owning one nice exotic to owning many. I retired 4 or 5 years ago but kept a few.
I presently have a 91 Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari 358 (yep a 308 bored and stroked to 3.5 litres), Austin Healey 1960 300 BN7, and of course the 4C. There are other cars, but these are the ones I'll mention. Prior to retirement I went through a lot. List if interested.
I've loved fast cars (sports cars) since I was a pimpled face kid. I never ever made money off of any of the cars I've owned when I sold, traded, or whatever. The only one was a 2005 Ford GT that I paid $140,000 for an sold back to the dealer for $180k.
My wife is one of a kind and wants me to be happy! I'm the only one who has control over my impulses and that's not good.
So onto the advise. You'll never be satisfied, I'm not. The only thing that will slow you down is death. At first I'd lament over leaving something behind, but now I just don't care. Good luck on your pursuit, but don't look for the oracle, you want follow the advise anyway.
John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hey John....
Man you might have nailed it.
“You‘ll never be satisfied“. And believe me I tell that to myself as I try to settle down and be happy with what’s in the garage. I to have had a good amount of cars and motorcycles also. For a while I was just into the bikes but then got back into the cars. I was deciding which MR2 I wanted from my youth. The mint 86 or the Turbo 93. I said to my wife “ why not 2 MR2s? They aren’t that expensive. Then I got a 2008 Cayman and said I was getting that and selling the MR2s. Brought the Cayman home and put it on the garage and the two black MR2s next to the White Cayman looked so good I couldn’t’ sell them.
Then my plan....sell both MR2s and the Cayman and get a 328. I traded the Cayman in on the 328 and parked the black 328 next to the 2 black MR2s and couldn’t sell them. A while after that I got a Mazda speed Miata because I always heard they were a blast and it was. Until I saw the 4C on Bat that was 30 min from me and went RNM and I ended up trading the Miata in on the 4C which puts me in my 4 car situation now.
I had been wanting a 2014 Toyota FJ cruiser trails team edtion for a while and finally starting searching hard for the right one. I found one on craigslist. Totally crappy ad..cut and past, no pictures. I text the guy and asked “ how many miles does it have” he typed back simply “4600”
I thought it was for sure some guy that was just jerking me around. I finally text him again a week later and he set up a FaceTime call with me and showed me the vehicle. Older gentleman as nice as you would want to meet. First owner and took amazing care of it. I drove 4 hours and picked it up. That was just back in September. Love that vehicle.
I also last year decided I wanted to get rid of my Toyota Tundra and get a Toyota Tacoma ( early 2000s). I searched and searched for one in great shape, the frame in good shape etc. I always keep a pick up truck for work. I found a really nice one in Cincinnati and made the trip for it. I got home and was super pleased with my pick after the long search. I said to my wife...you know the only problem “ The empty hole now that the search is over“ ! She just rolled her eyes having been my wing girl on many road trips to pick up vehicles.

The point of all that is...I know for me a big part of it is the hunt. Honing in a a vehicle I want and finding the right one.
And so I think the truth is you are right. I’ll never be sastified ....
Even if I sold all the cars and got the 458 I KNOW I would love that car. And if I’m being honest I also know that some point down the road something would catch my wandering eye and some how....some way I’ll talk myself into why I could or should get it.

My gosh I do love cars lol!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Btw I’m Pizzadude on Ferrarichat also same as here.
I think on NSX prime too but haven’t been there in a long while

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep I was bitten with the bug when I was 10 years old. Sorry to tell you but it’s a terminal disease for some. LOL
I not buy them I then spend tons of money modifying them to my liking. Every person I know asks the same question “why don’t you just buy what you want and leave it alone”. I just can’t.
Since you mentioned NSX that was a project I did about 10 years ago. Bought a low mileage 91 and proceeded to strip it. Sent it to Science of Speed where I approached 40k in the engine. This also included dumping the 5 speed and buying a new 6 speed which was the cheapest part.
Got it back and loved it for about 3-4 months and then shipped it off to California when I received my 2005 Ford GT.
This how it goes with my wife “I’m going to go look at a car”. If she doesn’t immediately say something then it’s coming home.
It’s a sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
I got home and was super pleased with my pick after the long search. I said to my wife...you know the only problem “ The empty hole now that the search is over“ !
Robert Browning — 'Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,Or what's a heaven for?'
AKA - A man's goal should exceed his grasp
AKA - I HAVE ISSUES lol
Cheers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Lol!
I do find comfort in the fact I’m not the only one!
And hey....lots of worse things to be interested in.
Sometimes I’ll be in bed looking at different car sights, BaT or what ever and my wife will say “ ok what are you looking to buy now” and I say “ nothing........just looking” and she says “ yeah right and rolls her eyes”
I call her my enabler. We have taken quite a few trips for vehicles and I always say “adventure of a life time“
I don’t think twice about traveling to get a car.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Lol!
And hey....lots of worse things to be interested in.
Sometimes I’ll be in bed looking at different car sights, BaT or what ever and my wife will say “ ok what are you looking to buy now” and I say “ nothing........just looking” and she says “ yeah right and rolls her eyes”
I call her my enabler. We have taken quite a few trips for vehicles and I always say “adventure of a life time“
Lol. My wife's says the same.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yep. The car sickness disease. Been there. Done that. I'm just about cured since I'm close to retirement. The 4C may be the last car I buy. But then again .... looks like I'm getting another disease. Off shore center console fishing boats. The disease never goes away. It just mutates lol.

Hmmmm. Are we talking about a car disease or covid-19?

Reactions: Rainier G

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lol!

So the furthest I’ve traveled was to New Hampshire from Texas. Took a red eye flight and stayed 1 day to look at a 1973 Maserati Bora. The story on the car was it had belonged to a doctor who died 4-5 years before and had sat dormant under an open carport.
The guy had a thing for gold. He had everything on the car either painted gold or plated gold. At least he left the stainless steel top alone. My description doesn’t begin to bridge the mental to visual gap. All the beautiful leather interior sprayed gold. Just incredible! It would start but rubber had dry rotted and Webers were leaking. The interior adjustments “seats, peddle cluster, brakes, etc.” all worked utilizing a high pressure hydraulic system from Citroen which owned an interest in Maserati at that time. This was non functional.
So I left without purchasing it. But this obviously not where the story ended. I wanted the car and although it would require a lot of my labor the foundation was there. So I decided to make an offer he wouldn’t accept and then consider reply as fate “something like not meant to be “. So I made the offer.

Yep you got it. He accepted. When the car transport arrived and while being unloaded my wife took a long look at it. I did mention I have a great wife! She looks at it inside and out then said “gold?”. The story goes on...
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,071 Posts
I would never tell another person how to spend their money. If it makes you happy and you can still provide for your necessities (family, future security, etc.) Go for it.
Many of us have other hobbies also that can be money pits. I am also an astronomer/astro photographer. I could have bought a couple of Ferrari's with my astronomy budget. Astro photographers know what a Black Hole is...it is the space in your wallet left over when you take up Astro Photography 😁

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would never tell another person how to spend their money. If it makes you happy and you can still provide for your necessities (family, future security, etc.) Go for it.
Many of us have other hobbies also that can be money pits. I am also an astronomer/astro photographer. I could have bought a couple of Ferrari's with my astronomy budget. Astro photographers know what a Black Hole is...it is the space in your wallet left over when you take up Astro Photography 😁
Similar here, wildlife photography and specifically birding. You know the price of long fast glass.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts