Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great. Could you please share how did you manage to have the cables connect from the back to the front? Where there any drilling needed?
You can also run the wires in the tunnel from the engine bay all the way to the front and enter through the big grommet that is for the primary power wire for the passenger foot well fuse panel. The routing is easy and clean, but you have to take all the panels off the bottom of the car and the shroud around the radiator fans to have good access.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Audio is DONE!
Boss Audio (~$100) MC900B 500 watt bluetooth amplifier VHB under the passenger airbag, with optional remote controller for pairing, volume, and song control (black and white, clean) to be mounted on left 67 Designs Carbon arm (can swing this away whenever) and my phone on the right mount. HVAC is being buttoned up with a WW2 style clean and minimal text translated in LATIN and Roman Numerals (can't wait for the laser etched matte carbon face from Revzilla!) And either copper or black anodized, knurled knobs.

@designbybeau now I'm thinking your Aluminum switch panel covers are something I'd need to match...

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 "6MT" Tesla P90 Swap!
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Miata HVAC, interesting.
Oh just the guts and DIN form factor (its also just as light as the 4c's OEM)... I have quite the design! I felt the "33 stradaleish" retro ethos of the 4c needed MORE push in the direction, so a classic style hvac face (think WW2 warbird) will replace the embarrassing 1990 alpine plastic. I'm going for timeless, but don't have the budget to make everything DeTomaso P72 haha, so the miata base is doing awesome. Total joy to work it in too! Also aftermarket is awash with fun options, while if it weren't for Koshi or Docron, Design by Beau, you're SOL if anything breaks on the OEM in 5 years, and they will quit making things for the 4c eventually. Since I am keeping the 4c for life in one form or another, something like a miata/etc replacement means freedom from worry, stockpiles, and encourages my minimalism. Plus it was $30 ebay, 4 day shipping, clean and perfect. Matched the 4c's Denso aircon push-pull cords like a miracle, and I swapped the rheostat with some dremel and superglue. The OEM 4c vertical controls dont fit the DIN space, and the form factor of three knobs was my first design iteration, with a CNC'd carbon fiber DIN delete ($20) with three gauge holes as the face, but eventually a mass production item will always win. The gun-bolt sound of the miata knobs (there's a specific alloy metal screwed to the top of the arms, that pop into greased (vaseline, seriously!) Valleys and "pang" the metal... It's a beautiful unit, so simple, yet so classic. Alfa's oem? Plastic clanks and knobs, zero options except glue a carbon mask on it and cut up the knobs and 3D print/glue something better. Lipstick on a pig if you ask me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've had a bunch of Miatas so I recognized it immediately, nice choice and cool project. Sounds like you've got your custom HVAC faceplate in process but I can recommend Adam at revlimiter.net if that doesn't work out or you want other options. He's a great guy that makes nice stuff, he has done some custom work for me in the past.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I've had a bunch of Miatas so I recognized it immediately, nice choice and cool project. Sounds like you've got your custom HVAC faceplate in process but I can recommend Adam at revlimiter.net if that doesn't work out or you want other options. He's a great guy that makes nice stuff, he has done some custom work for me in the past.

Ha! That's exactly who I'm having the custom plate done by... I'll let him know he's appreciated!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Guess I should have realized that when you called him Revzilla. Wait til you see how your plate is packaged, Adam goes the extra mile like no other vendor I've come across in many years of modding cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Guess I should have realized that when you called him Revzilla. Wait til you see how your plate is packaged, Adam goes the extra mile like no other vendor I've come across in many years of modding cars.
Think he can make stuff for the Alfa's? Someone with the $8M stimulus "mistakes", buy Adam a few 4c's and a GTA! I feel premium stuff needs to happen to the 4c community. My koshi stuff came in solar flare proof mount of oily bubble wrap and a nondescript cardboard box. Maybe I'll make a joke unboxing video...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)

Finally, it's coming together!
So upgrades:
1. No more plastic HVAC taking up space for my usually leggy passengers or surfboard (7' Indo gun because I wish I was in the Pacific), now a RED backlit, classic "Pantera/Diablo/33 Stradale-feeling" HVAC with 3D "Quadrifoglio triangles" and all metal, knurled, black anodized knobs that are STILL easy for race-gloved hands, maybe easier since the knurling doesn't slip like the smooth plastic did. Weight savings of (very much cut out) Miata HVAC and cut and drilled sheet aluminum brackets versus OEM HVAC saved a crazy 4 lbs! They didnt feel any different when handling them but... Weight is weight. Shame on you Alfa Romeo "designers" for such a poor execution on one of the three dash controls, and the largest one at that. I could forgive you for the 90's alpine as I can easily Joying that...
2. See that minimalist remote that I can place anywhere? Invisibly-placed and lighter 500watt Bluetooth motorcycle amp secured under the pass airbag (come on AR "designers"... There was an EASY space for a tray or even a nice little leather bag a-la Pagani, but instead bolted a STEEL kickplate which does nothing good for knees in a crash and is jusy dead weight. Racers: do yourself a favor and toss this garbage to lose a few pounds easy, as this 8.2 lb detritus was my biggest loser)... Now I can LISTEN to my music and have low weight for a grand total of $100. $75 amp, plus adapter harness, plus 3M tape... Seriously. Also, Bluetooth that works 100% of the time instead of my 25%, no startup delay, day/night stronger/crisper sound difference with stock speakers, and control everything from my phone...
3. 67 Industries Carbon and aluminum ball system bolted to radio/switch assembly (doesn't even vibrate at 100mph!! I was surprised there, but thats thanks to OEM steel (ugh, someone teach AR "designers" about electrolysis, as these are RIVETED to the bare aluminum dash chassis), holds up my phone, which serves as the "do all".
Music? Instant. Waze/maps? Touch once. Apps? Lol you get it... The phone is the "dash computer" and with this app I've downloaded, I also get real time ECU/sensor readings as well as a cool little G-meter that actually matches the OEM race-mode g-meter perfectly... I was super impressed there. Also does "V-box" stuff like track data and timing duties. Phone, carbon arms, and amp versus Alpine/steel tray/assorted screws and phone is a savings of around 4lbs.
I'm in love with my little project and how it turned out. Thanks Adam at his "RevLimiter" site for the custom "Latin" NA Miata plates (yes, real latin, and before the keen ask, my temperatures are purposely inverted - when the "Cælum"/temperature is hot, then switch the knob "here" because the car doesn't make the temperature, the weather does.) He even threw in a hotwheels viper (mopar connection? Well the color is about right and little did he know, I drove the same generation viper "professionally" back in 2006! Life and Luck is a grand thing)!
Thanks to Madness for the Koshi carbon, Pro-tip: if you are installing the radio surround and switch shrouds/covers, it is better to install in situ, removing just the radio bezel piece, as the carbon fits too tight and, in my batch, ever so slightly not exactly a perfect fit. Koshi is hit or miss as many have said.
Those interested in weight, my custom "dash" lost a total of a tick over 16 lbs, as the Alpine, steel kickplate, OEM hvac (stock one is very light at 6.8 lbs), and related OEM HVAC dash assembly material/screws have been jettisoned into (another) space. To regain some Front/Rear balance, I plan to relocate my battery away from the hottest point of the car (AR "designers" back at it again...) To underneath the... Bolted front hood where there are ample opportunities for a WATERPROOF area so the electrons can flow easier without all that humidity causing resistance. This ideally will fit somewhere behind the front wheels, passenger side since I do weigh something and AR decided to put that 40-ish lb necessity driver side. No wonder our cars need so much suspension work to match the speed of an equivalent Lotus/Porsche... Still, since mine had 104 miles on the clock when I bought it at $52k, most of us still win on price to performance ratio to really, any other car yet. Maybe the new Alpines or an old NSX, but aluminum chassis is so last millennium lol. Apologies for the long post, but if you made it this far, cool. Kudos on being the rare breed of 2020 human that reads instead of simply opinionate from the hip. Life will reward you with less wasted time and more effectiveness in your choices, since, you arm yourself with more rather than less. That's badass, so, yeah - congrats!

·
Registered
471 Posts
That turned out great! I told you Adam goes the extra mile but for the love of Pete you have to start getting his business name right - it's Revlimiter ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That turned out great! I told you Adam goes the extra mile but for the love of Pete you have to start getting his business name right - it's Revlimiter ;)
You know, it autocorrected on my phone to RevZilla... Fixed it now but WTH(?) I've never done biz with a RevZilla haha, idk where the phone got it. Man, there def needs to be more businesses like Adam's...
I'm seriously thinking about buying a JL (or some super popular product like a mopar or 911 or... sorry, no C8's unless the flat plane Z06 offers a manual) and making a high end replacement for every object in it. Or if my agent lands me another big gig, just buy a Miata and go crazy turning it into alternate universe Ferrari 250 GTO fighter by welding two 1.8L's inline and building out to some 10k revving beast, but just installing someone else's headaches is way more fun. putting in the plates was the most stressless part! This project did have much Italian cursing, mainly due to the steel bars that prop up the bottom of our dash.

Anyways, still have DesignByBeau's knurled switch covers in black and Laptime wheel (with F40 steering wheel), maybe re-web the seatbelts in red stitching, and my interior is done for years to come. Eventually the car will be replaced by some new carbon thing maybe, but I'm keeping this one as a track rat if ever that time comes, and will lose just about everything I've been doing to it because race car. I'm seeing a flying "monoposto" center-seated carbon tub with aerodynamic carbon "feathers" everywhere and a roll cage, 12" wide tires and some future beast drivetrain frankenwelded where the 1.75L was before doing over 100k miles as a daily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may now have the only 4c with electric power steering.
I had been thinking about how the steering column could be modified to add the motor. Since I had time now with the stay at home order, I decided to go for it. I bought a salvage 4c steering column to cut up, so that I could save my stock one to reinstall if this did not work out. I bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris steering column and the eps control unit out of a Prius. The Toyota eps works fine in the safe mode with only 3 wires (60 amp hot, ground and key on hot). I shortened the 4c column as much as possible, but still attach to the stock bolts. I removed the Yaris steering gearbox and motor and cut down the length of the splined shaft. I welded a splined female sleeve onto to the 4c column and fitted the eps shaft into it. Then I fabricated a light sheet metal bracket to support the gearbox that bolted to the car. I also tack welded a few points to the steel section of the 4c bracket assembly. At this point everything fit fine up under the dash, but the universal joint for the column extension (to the steering rack), was not aligned correctly with the tunnel provided in the CF tub. So I had to re-drill the 4 attachment holes to allow the assembly to rotate about a half inch. Then I fabricated the new column extension by welding the Yaris u joint onto a shortened length of the 4c column end and attached it to the rack. After completing the wiring, I started the car and it all works perfectly. The effort to turn the wheel is just right, not to easy and not too hard. It is just a pleasure to drive now and will be a lot faster to autocross and less tiring doing track days. It has not dulled the steering feel at all. I still feel every bump and groove in the road. The biggest benefit is easily driving to a parking spot in a crowded lot or a hard right turn at a stop sign.
It is not an easy mod to do, but worth the effort. It took me almost 2 weeks and about half of that time, I was laying on my back with my head up under the dash.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts