Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the Corona Virus, I have decided to start driving/playing some of the sim racing games. I have just started, and I don't have a sophisticated rig/setup as I'm not 100% sure I will get what I want out of it. My goal is to become a better driver in the real world, and be able to try new cars, techniques, and learn new tracks.

My humble setup...
Thrustmaster T300RS Wheels & Peddles
Homemade wooden "Cockpit"
Custom Built PC - Intel i7-9700F, 32Gb Ram, & NVidia 2070 Super.

I was looking at an 80/20 rig from SimLab, but the price and wait was simply too much. So i decided to "try" a home built wooden rig. It cost about $30 using 2"x8" and some MDF for the "floor". I'm AMAZED just how sturdy it is, and won't be upgrading any time soon as any rig would have to sit in the garage. It would even be sturdy enough for a Direct Drive wheel. I was also able to reuse the remaining 4C seat (the other is in my office as an office chair). I had an old leftover PC case, CPU cooler, and power supply that works well. So I upgraded the PC with a new motherboard, memory, hard drive, and Video Card. Total cost was about $1200 (video card was about 1/2 that).

I mostly drive Assetto Corsa, but also have Assetto Corsa Competizione. It has been a mixture of frustration & pleasure. A lot of it comes down to settings in the software, but some is just crappy driving dynamics. Thankfully, AC has a LOT of mods, that make things much easier/nicer. Some of the mods I have enjoyed [ffbclip (maximize force feedback while minimizing clipping), Content Manager (easier setup & startup), Sidekick (easy info all in one widget), Helicorsa (proximity warning for other cars - until I get my VR), RSR Timing App (so I know just how bad I am compared to others)].

One of the biggest changes I have made is with respect to the audio settings. I'm so use to audible feedback with the 4C, that the sim was driving me NUTS. I couldn't tell if I was on the limit or understeering significantly. Last night I finally found the "proper" setting. Apparently, the "tyre skid volume onset" should be set to 150 - 160% so it only starts talking when you are getting close to sliding (200% is full on sliding). I made that change, and instantly dropped over 2 seconds with my "go to" favorite car (Lotus 2-11) at Imola. I'm finally getting down to 2.04 - 2.05 when I don't make mistakes. I'm still working on setup and learning the track, but MUCH better.

Near term upgrades...
1) I have Heusinkveld Sprint peddles on order...as the Thrustmaster are way way too weak.
2) PiMax 5k Plus - VR Headset is on order... Initially had a hard time judging speed, so wanted to try VR (I have gotten better).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Great write up. I’ve got a rig with direct drive (Fanatec) and I’m not sure it’s worth the premium over “normal” wheels. I’m also running a Pimax 5k+ and it is very good although there are glitches from time to time and it can be frustrating. I use one tracking tower which is enough. I haven’t optimised the settings but I would say my 2080ti is only just good enough to drive it. Don’t know what will be good enough to drive an 8k+!

Assetto Corsa is brilliant for just tooling around in a nice high end car I can’t afford in real life. Sitting in the cockpit of a LaF looking around in VR and then driving it, wow. I also like to drive a 4C and set up AI races with a mix of cool cars. Nothing like driving “my” actual car on a local track mod that I know well, at dusk against a mix of rare and expensive Ferrari’s and all those other cars I could have had instead of 4C (obviously I try to beat those lol). Only thing I don’t like about the 4C model is the sound- nothing like the real thing. But for competition Iracing is awesome, It is pricey though...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if anyone from the UK is watching this... But I just discovered Brands Hatch. OMG, it is a BLAST. I'm zipping around in the Lotus 2-11. I'm surprised just how well that track flows, never experienced anything like that!!!! It makes me want to go visit that track for real!!!!!

Sadly, my local track isn't in AC so I don't have a good baseline. I was VERY unhappy with the driving characteristics and balance of the 4C. I set everything close to my real track configuration, and all it did was understeer. I couldn't even get it to oversteer in conditions I KNOW it would. It is one of the reasons I have moved to the Lotus 2-11 and Porsche GT4 Clubsport.

Reactions: 4C-ophe

·
Registered
250 Posts
I live in the UK and Brands Hatch is a great track. I don’t know if you can get Cadwell Park track ? But that is a crazy track in the UK. Like a mini Nurburgring.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I live in the UK and Brands Hatch is a great track. I don’t know if you can get Cadwell Park track ? But that is a crazy track in the UK. Like a mini Nurburgring.
Project CARS 2 has several UK tracks including Brands and Cadwell (and they are scanned tracks so very accurate):

Unfortunately, no Alfa cars in PC2... :(

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was VERY unhappy with the driving characteristics and balance of the 4C. I set everything close to my real track configuration, and all it did was understeer. I couldn't even get it to oversteer in conditions I KNOW it would. It is one of the reasons I have moved to the Lotus 2-11 and Porsche GT4 Clubsport.
I don't like the settings of the 4C either. Is throws its tail way to much under braking. This certainly gives extra frustration as I know my car doesn't behave like that at Spa.
What alignment settings do you guys use in Assetto Corsa? I'd love to mod it with @GMS uniballs and a 280bhp engine tune. :)

·
Vendor
831 Posts
I do have a GMS tune for AC actually. I lowered the weight, increased the HP and made a fully adjustable alignment to camber it and get rid of the understeer. Still not handling the way like the 4C does in real life. For me 4C in AC is far more forgiving than it is in real life, so I spend 90% of the time driving GT3 class, Hurracan GT3 which is in terms of handling physics the most comparable to my 4C, but a lot faster.

Lately I have driven ACC - Asseto corsa competizione and the feeling is so much better than the original AC, so I rarely return to the original AC.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally like the graphics in ACC (even with mods on AC), so I have started to drive that more. I drove the Hurracan GT3 in ACC, and really disliked the turn in even on aggressive settings (feels like a fat pig) and the Hurracan is a massive handful even with traction control on. I quickly found out why its TC settings are far higher than some of the other cars. My personal favorite is the McLaren 720 GT3 as it feels far more agile and balanced.

Reactions: 4C-ophe
1 - 8 of 8 Posts