Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLVED: Jump to post #12

At 8400 miles, AR dealer changed oil; Tech reset warning after oil service; he said it would take 3 cycles of running/driving to analyze itself and shut off (sounded like a crap story, and it is a crap story, because it has not cleared).

I've done the basic Fiat gas pedal pumping thing AND the specific AR 4C ''press gas pedal, 1-second brake pedal presses X 6, then release gas pedal'' technique in exact format as those who gave exact procedures and reported success.

Three strikes and I am out, so here I am.

Too many returns from search to get to my question:

NOW WHAT?

Really, it's the BRIGHT FRIGGING DASH every 2 minutes that is killing this experience.

ANYONE?

· Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jamiealfa:

Are you saying that once plugged into the 'body computer' the tech should look for a spanner icon?

I'm gonna have to spoon feed anyone with very precise info (sadly).

· Registered
270 Posts
You have to follow the brake pedal procedure and count out 1thousand-one slightly slower than you think for each step. I have more success combining steps 1+2 (key on with accel. pressed). There's no indication of success except the message goes away. You can do this.

Here's the steps once more from the 1st gen phone app .

1. Without pressing brake pedal, cycle ingnition to ON but don't start the car.
2. Press and hold accel. pedal ( i combine this with 1. )
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times with AT_LEAST 1 sec. pause between. ( I like to make the presses about 1 sec as well ).
4. After 3, pause a second and release accel. pedal.

Remember, Italians may drive fast, be they do lots of other things slowly and carefully.

· Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@decatur : I have done the brake pedal routine that way over a dozen times. Deliberate and as described.

I stumbled upon comments on some boards about some 4C owners with older ECU's who could not succeed with that method.

I do appreciate the details though (and what do you mean you combine 2 and 1? If the car is in accessory mode, then you press the accel pedal, you've combined them. Or do you turn the key to accessory as you press the accel pedal???)

· Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

After about 30-40 attempts across three days, I have cleared the warning.

Conditions: Engine was warm, and had been driven about 30 minutes. I was gettin' REAL TIRED of that bright warning, as it was pre-dawn.

I parked in a Starbucks lot (this is not relevant, but pick the right Starbucks, and you can watch some real talent go in and out. Also, from casual observation, it appears the real Starbuckers pre-order their coffee concoctions... oh wait, back to the story...)

I shut the car down. I leave key in ignition.

I turn key to 'accessory' or whatever we're calling that position nowadays. Dash and electrics power up.

I press accel pedal to floor.
I wait 2 very deliberate seconds and continue pressing accel pedal to floor as I complete the following steps:

I press the brake completely, and hold for 2 very deliberate seconds.
I release the brake, and pause for 2 very deliberate seconds. ( 1 cycle complete)

I release the brake, and pause for 2 very deliberate seconds. (2 cycles complete)

I release the brake, and pause for 2 very deliberate seconds. ( 3 cycles complete)

I release the brake, and pause for 2 very deliberate seconds. ( 4 cycles complete)

I release the brake, and pause for 2 very deliberate seconds. ( 5 cycles complete)

I release the brake, and pause for 2 very deliberate seconds. ( 6 cycles complete)

After the last brake/release cycle above, after the final 2 very deliberate seconds, I released the accel pedal and waited 2 seconds, then fired up the engine without turning the power off first.

The oil pressure light cleared (the bigazz warning BRIGHT LIGHT was not lit), just before the check engine light (which is always last to clear), and I drove around waiting to scream at the light, which never returned.

So excited was I that I forgot all about Starbucks. #LittleThings

· Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By coincidence an Alfa tech just sent this:
“Peddle dance does clear it sometimes when it wants to but not always but mostly never.”
Sounds like a perfect Alfa thing. Hence why I was so detailed.

Alfa Romeo logic probably requires you to blink twice, lean on the left side of your butt on odd days, while cursing in Italian. This will result in in 50% chance of success, but might cause an oil leak.

90% of the time, that explanation is half right.

:)

· 4C-Forums.com Vendor
444 Posts
Alfa dealers have also been having issues clearing the oil change warning light on Giulias (and I presume on Stelvios).

I was able to clear our Giulia QV warning light (in both places) with the MultiECU Scan program.

· Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,919 Posts
I think the one key thing you did is to NOT turn off the ignition switch after doing the pedal dance and start the car. If you turn the key to the off position after the pedal dance it will cancel the steps you just did. Did you do that one step before?

· Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the one key thing you did is to NOT turn off the ignition switch after doing the pedal dance and start the car. If you turn the key to the off position after the pedal dance it will cancel the steps you just did. Did you do that one step before?
Bingo. It was unclear from a few things I read what the exact final steps were.

I might have done the final step right before, but gotten the brake pedal timing wrong or something. So many variables came together on the successful try!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.