Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) needs your help! They want to take a reading of your car for the CA Air Resources Board (CARB). They need access to your on board diagnostics port for less than 5 minutes (it's is on the drivers side to the left of your wheel). Help them out, they need about 15 more car reads and they must be a 4C. Send me a message and I can get you in contact with the gentleman that took my reading. You will receive a $50 gift card of your choice!

Thank you and stay safe!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you work for FCA/Alfa? These cars already have a CARB certification; I would be careful giving out your data. With how restrictive CA already is, nothing positive will come out of this as an owner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@closingtime no i do not but the guy was nice and it was easy and being that times are very rough for many people i thought i would try and help people out. what sort of data in my engine do i care about people knowing? i dont see how it can be harmful. but enlighten me please so i dont do it again? i had done it a few years ago too and felt like i was helping them out. i barely drive my car so i cant imagine there is much data to gather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you work for FCA/Alfa? These cars already have a CARB certification; I would be careful giving out your data. With how restrictive CA already is, nothing positive will come out of this as an owner.
Hi Closingtime and all Alfa 4C owners.
As Deborah mentioned I do represent FCA for running the diagnostics check on all 2018 Alfa 4C in California who's owners are willing to participate.
I do understand your concerns and can add some more information if you want to do some further fact checks before you consider it.
After all the OBD system on all vehicles sold in California is regulated and certified by CARB (California Air Resources Board)
Here are few links to CARB OBD program and the regulation itself:

section 1968.2 of Title 13, CCR

CARB actually does help keep the air clean and requires each OEM selling vehicles in California to provide emission systems components warranty which is usually better than the standard warranty provided by the OEM/Dealer which is good to know for everyone purchasing a vehicle:
Warranty

The last part of the OBD certification 1968.2(j)(3) requires the OEM to provide information about how the diagnostic system is performing in actual vehicles sold to customers in California. This ensures CARB that the system they have certified performs as expected. This is also beneficial for all vehicle owners because if there are issues with the OBD system in customer vehicles they will be discovered and addressed relatively early on before there are multiple vehicles which can't pass the smog check inspection and renew or obtain first time registration in California.
The diagnostic information we collect now is the exact same information which would later on be collected at a smog check station once your vehicle is due for it's first inspection. The difference is we now offer a $50 gift card of your choice and we'll meet you at convenient for you time and location 😀

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
This is on the up and up.....I live in Michigan and haven't heard from ALFA but Ford did contact me about the same testing for my 2016 full size Ford 150 van. Evidently it is necessary that they sample some cars about 3-4 years old so they can see how the emission system is doing to comply with EPA. The Ford testing is done by Roush and the deal is they borrow your car to have it tested and takes about 1-2 weeks. The cars need to be stock of course as far as the engine. They give you another Ford of same type that they deliver to your door and same when finished to use free for that period and also pay the owners $400. While they have it they also do any adjustments or repairs at their cost also. I did send in my contact info to do it but haven't heard back yet. Suspect the Covid probably slowed the process up quite a bit. I am not sure how many cars they test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is on the up and up.....I live in Michigan and haven't heard from ALFA but Ford did contact me about the same testing for my 2016 full size Ford 150 van. Evidently it is necessary that they sample some cars about 3-4 years old so they can see how the emission system is doing to comply with EPA. The Ford testing is done by Roush and the deal is they borrow your car to have it tested and takes about 1-2 weeks. The cars need to be stock of course as far as the engine. They give you another Ford of same type that they deliver to your door and same when finished to use free for that period and also pay the owners $400. While they have it they also do any adjustments or repairs at their cost also. I did send in my contact info to do it but haven't heard back yet. Suspect the Covid probably slowed the process up quite a bit. I am not sure how many cars they test.
Yes OEMs also do the testing you were contacted about. It is required by the EPA and it does take a bit longer 1-2 weeks and requires the vehicle to be tested at a certification lab. I'm not surprised if they are a little further behind because of COVID. The test we run takes about 5 minutes and we only need access to the vehicle OBD port so it doesn't even have to leave its parking spot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts