Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the internal or external diameter of the factory standard exhaust downpipe?
I did search but either I somehow missed it it wasn't there. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,195 Posts
its not just the diameter, but the constricted flow coming off the turbo.

Take a look at the photos in the GMS exhaust thread here:

Post 1 shows the cat/downpipe from right where it comes off the turbocharger. It does a 90 degree sharp bend and is constricted right there, followed immediately by the catalyst.

There is good description there as well. I suspect the dimension is given (likely around 2" to 2-1/4" but I am not sure) somewhere in that thread.. But it's the shape as much as the diameter up there that is an issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does anyone know the internal or external diameter of the factory standard exhaust downpipe?
I did search but either I somehow missed it it wasn't there. Thanks in advance.
Pretty sure it's 60mm the down pipe replacement I put in from Scara is 70mm.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,329 Posts
The idea behind the stock design is to get the engine up to operating temperature quickly. That helps reduce emissions and that is important from a compliance standpoint. Ideally you would have the turbo a bit farther back and larger diameter pipes but those fly in the face of keeping emissions down.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
934 Posts
Correct. 2.25'' or 60mm diameter, 800 cell, which is spot on for 240hp, but the problem is the bottleneck in the upper part of the stock cat which is designed to be the bottleneck to achieve high temps and consequently superb emission control at the cost of performance.

More detailed discussion on stock exhaust parts available here: GMS - Modular Exhaust System 3''

·
Super Moderator
15,195 Posts
I guess because I still haven't managed to get the fricking cat off the turbo...
It is 2-1/8" (54mm) at the bottom flange of the cat, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts