Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to see what everyone else is going to do and what options we have....

As the title reads, my hazard button has gotten really sticky. I know this has been a common issue with some of the older Ferrari, but what options do we have??? Apparently it is not something that can be covered under warranty (just a brief questioning of the dealership today)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have an extra one , if you want it ill send it to you ....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I bought a new one when I was swapping to the Koshi CF console. It’s a pretty cheap part. It was like $10-15. I ordered it online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I bought a new one when I was swapping to the Koshi CF console. It’s a pretty cheap part. It was like $10-15. I ordered it online.

What is the part number?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They have changed the buttons on the new F8 Tributo so it will not have this issue..... in case you hate it enough to go and buy a F8 :LOL:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks for all of the input. Glad to know at least one thing on the car isn't insanely overpriced.

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
Before replacing....try using alcohol on a rag. I have had other things with rubber coating that gets sticky also....the alcohol seems to do the trick. My fellow ALFA club owner/member also owns a Ferrari 360. The sticky buttons is a consistent problem on Ferrari cars he said. He said all of the buttons on his car had this issue.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Before replacing....try using alcohol on a rag. I have had other things with rubber coating that gets sticky also....the alcohol seems to do the trick. My fellow ALFA club owner/member also owns a Ferrari 360. The sticky buttons is a consistent problem on Ferrari cars he said. He said all of the buttons on his car had this issue.
I tried that, didn’t work. Felt like it made it worse actually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven’t had this issue on my 4C, but have it on various other cars & motorcycles.

Have had good success using a very liberal blast of contact cleaner around the button’s edges then pressing button repeatedly after application before contact cleaner dries/evaporates. If still sticking after a little shirt of WD40 (or similar), and again pressing the button repeatably will sometimes free things up and restore to proper operation.

Neither can do any damage or make things worse, and since it takes all of 2 to 3 minutes might be worth a try - especially if you already have contact cleaner and WD40 laying around. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm reading this thread to mean that the button works, but the surface/face of the button itself is getting gooey/tacky to the touch. Like touching an adhesive.

It's plagued other Italian cars, as has been noted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, yuck. This is my first Italian car, but never experienced anything like that on any of my Ducati or Beta motorcycles (or non-Italian autos).

I don't have my 4C handy for reference but if memory serves, isn't the Hazard Button rather smooth/un-textured?

Perhaps a tiny piece of Xpel could mitigate the problem.

Failing that, I have a Brother P-Touch Labeler that connects to PC and can upload special symbols (like the Hazard triangle thingy). I know Brother's 1" width tapes are available with White or Black text on a RED background but not sure if they offer a RED text on Black background cartridge that would match our Hazard's existing color scheme.

Of course, best case scenario would be if Alfa has addressed this issue so that a new replacement button would not suffer from this issue - as BMW Motorrad has been know to do with some of their motorcycle parts (making ongoing reliability/durability improvements without changing part numbers).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If the issue is limited to a single button, refinishing the button is ok. Google 'sticky Mercedes buttons' or 'sticky ferrari buttons' and it gets really gross, really widespread and really fast.

Goo-Be-Gone, Goof Off, and similar petroleum-citrus cleaners, have been used to various levels of success; some people have sanded and painted the surfaces and some have permanently damaged the area, which is sometimes surrounded by leather or synthetic materials that wrap dashes.

A Ferrari restorer mentioned Jax Super Soap (actually a strong degreaser) as a product at the limit of what consumers should use, which stops short of stripping off paint, labels and damaging synthetic and leather surfaces.

Porsche had problems with 996 and 997 dash buttons, where the surface would peel and then get tacky, and many wound up repainting the buttons (such a pain) then adding decals someone printed to match stock, then coating the decal under a clear layer. Types out easy, but is a tremendous am't of work.

Let's hope this is one rarely used button that is affected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts