Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be the king of blown intercooler hoses. Last two times out tracking in my car hoses have split.
Here's a photo of a brand new stock intercooler hose that only lasted about 1/2 of 1 track day before it split. It is hose #2.
Sorry can't talk about what mods I may or may not of done I just wanted people to know that if you have more power that you might watch your hoses! I now I have replaced all of my hoses with upgraded best quality hoses.
I'm also wondering about these high power mods we are just now hearing about if they have hose problems? Not sure if their larger displacement and a more powerful turbo would necessarily make a higher hose pressure?

Anyway tomorrow is the final track day at my local track. I'm thinking my 4C is going to be running great and last all day finally.

Bringing my Giulia QV also, not so much just in case but just thought it would be fun to have both cars out there. It's the same cost I would just drive one car A group and the other car in B group. I honestly don't know which car is faster as they are so close on this track in lap times. And the cars keep getting better and better and lap times keep getting lower and lower.
My friends bringing his new Katech 1000 hp Corvette. I can't wait to see it...... probably from the back most of the time

· Registered
772 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Is that the middle intercooler? If so that is a bummer because I believe that is the only silicone intercooler hose that comes on the car. I was debating getting the alpha-9 set as it comes with all three intercooler hoses, but then I was thinking of just getting the eurocompulsion hoses as the middle one is already silicone. This may change my mind!

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using the Alfa9 set of three hoses which are Samco Sport hoses, UK made. Lifetime warranty. Nomex weave.

But did not use hose number 1.

I am using a new Eurocompulson Kevlar hose for hose number 1 as it is stronger than the Nomex type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That hose looks like it was was cut, was it touching or rubbing anything? Hopefully Eurocompulsion will come out with a Kevlar intercooler hose kit:)

Absolutely not there's nothing around there to touch it. It also split on the opposite side too. These type of hoses can split just like that, they don't blow up. Either it was defective or not strong enough for my boost. And like I said it was brand new.

· Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to speculate that the hoses are cracking from excessive engine movement. Have you upgraded your engine mount by chance? That helps a LOT with the Elise platform, which likes to crack exhaust mounts and shift cables due to the engine flopping around in the bay.

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to speculate that the hoses are cracking from excessive engine movement. Have you upgraded your engine mount by chance? That helps a LOT with the Elise platform, which likes to crack exhaust mounts and shift cables due to the engine flopping around in the bay.

The hose is not cracking it is bursting.
And yes I have the upgraded engine mount.

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wowzers!

So, is the picture of hose #2 from the breakdown?
Any issue with the #3 hose?

? Not sure what you're saying I just put the diagram in there so I could identify which hose and thought people might want this diagram.

I have had failures with hoses 1 and 2.
You quit jinxing me with hose #3!!
And hose #13 has got me worried too.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Al, your poor poor car. You are suppose to treat your mistress better so they don't split their clothing!

It makes me glad I have never installed the EuroCompulsion ECU. Mine girl has been running like a charm.

· Administrator
19,270 Posts
What was it that twigged you to look at this?
Noise? Performance? Error light?
I haven't looked at mine, but I don't expect these are all that accessible, to just notice this in passing.

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Al, your poor poor car. You are suppose to treat your mistress better so they don't split their clothing!

It makes me glad I have never installed the EuroCompulsion ECU. Mine girl has been running like a charm.

Are you saying that my girl is getting fat? Damn I'm going to have to give her a lookover.

But seriously anytime you add a tune from anyone to your car and get more power, you may have to upgrade other things like intercooler hoses no big thing. But yes I think EuroCompulsion has the most powerful tune especially now.

Don't forget I also have a very custom exhaust with high flow relocated cat that really gives me a lot more boost. Plus I have other mods I can't really talk about. I should be able to four-wheel Dyno the car soon and it would not surprise me if I'm up to 350hp.

So upgrading the intercooler hoses seems reasonable.

· Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You hear it, trust me...

Actually if the hose pops off as it's happened to me before you hear a pop. But if it splits like this you really don't hear anything in the car, it just has less power like less boost and you get the Christmas tree of death error messages. For those of you that don't know what that error message looks like literally every light on your dashboard lights up including your transmission light.

· Registered
2,253 Posts
Actually if the hose pops off as it's happened to me before you hear a pop. But if it splits like this you really don't hear anything in the car, it just has less power like less boost and you get the Christmas tree of death error messages. For those of you that don't know what that error message looks like literally every light on your dashboard lights up including your transmission light.
When my hose punctured I had no error message but a clearly audible whistling sound from the leak. And it would run like crap if running anything but very carefully.

· Registered
105 Posts
Thinking my hose split too as there seemed to be a sudden loss of power and excessive time to build boost. Will have to get under the damn car again and check. Has this happened to anyone stock? I’m not tuned so I’m surprised it would bust on stock psi.

· Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
13,155 Posts
Thinking my hose split too as there seemed to be a sudden loss of power and excessive time to build boost. Will have to get under the damn car again and check. Has this happened to anyone stock? I’m not tuned so I’m surprised it would bust on stock psi.

Sorry to hear. I think Tallinn was the first to report a split hose a couple of years ago and others since, so you’re definitely not Robinson Cruso. I just ordered a set of four Samco silicon hoses from Jamie Porter this week. We’ve got tax changes coming at the end of June and want to get in before the inevitable price hike. Getting a few other bits for my other Alfas too. Our bloody Govt wants OS vendors to collect GST for them from July 1. I can see problems ahead...sorry for the digression. Excellent quality hoses are available from US vendors too.

· Registered
772 Posts
Sorry to hear. I think Tallinn was the first to report a split hose a couple of years ago and others since, so you’re definitely not Robinson Cruso. I just ordered a set of four Samco silicon hoses from Jamie Porter this week. We’ve got tax changes coming at the end of June and want to get in before the inevitable price hike. Getting a few other bits for my other Alfas too. Our bloody Govt wants OS vendors to collect GST for them from July 1. I can see problems ahead...sorry for the digression. Excellent quality hoses are available from US vendors too.
Indeed the Samco hoses are very strong. Easy cheap upgrade!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.