Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Ali Giallo Prototipo w/ red seats
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, gotcha...... why not?
Well I was thinking about all the discussions about Lightweight wheels, mass, tensile strength, etc. and money no object spending to get the most (or least, depending how you see it) out of our wheels but there's really nothing you can do about the weight of your tires. Sure, less tread = less weight, but I don't think there are too many nutballs driving around on slicks. I've noticed slight weight differences from manufacturer to manufacturer, but who really uses that factor in making a decision which tires to buy ??

If tires weren't so disposable (not to mention it's a problem that they are) wouldn't it be neat if they came up with some compound to replace rubber that lasts 2-3 or more times longer and start using Carbon Fiber weave instead of Steel belts? How light could a tire be then?

Oh well, just a thought since it's snowing out and I'm being lazy today....... surely if such a thing were possible the tire Companies would have been at that long ago......... or do Rubber Trees have to burn down or go extinct to motivate them??

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Randomness:

Most tires are like 3/4 synthetic rubber. Kevlar is used in some tires. There are patents in place for CF in tires and hasn't Goodyear already done this? Read the last link to feed your boredom.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty detailed for Randomness. Wow, that's deep. It was just a passing thought I had. I didn't research the subject but no surprise to see they ARE addressing the apparently active rubber shortage. Synthentic rubbers like SBR are the new wave. Interesting.
I wrote this before seeing all the Factual Information there so I'll just tag it along as a Complete Fantasy............
Everybody wants to invest in 'technologies of the future'.......... so who's going to figure out what to replace rubber tires with? Even electric vehicles need tires, so imagine the possibilities. Chemical Alchemists come up with a compound similar to rubber made from SiO2 and H2O (sand and water) two of the most common compounds on Earth, so Biodegradable would be nice..... you can't really say anything is impossible anymore, but it would be genius.

Reactions: Philster

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Tires are one of the reasons old car vs new car comparisons fall apart. Tire technology has made so many news cars stellar in handling/comfort/braking, when modern vehicles are actually more bloated, more top heavy and still ride on 50-year-old basic strut setups.

If you look at handling, braking, ride quality and acceleration numbers of cars of the past, they'd all be better on fresh, modern rubber.

It's also like the 'slow car driven fast is better than the fast car driven slow' effect. Cars of the past were a hoot at times because the tires were not at superhero levels. Fun came at lower speeds. Now you have to go to such extremes to test the limits, whereas tires of the past were more playful at much lower speeds. The G-forces now required to upset tires makes the limit extreme, scary and highly consequential.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
  • It's also like the 'slow car driven fast is better than the fast car driven slow' effect.
  • Cars of the past were a hoot at times because the tires were not at superhero levels.
  • Fun came at lower speeds.
How about a 1960's torsion bar setup!! DAMMIT... want this snow to disappear so I can go scare the bejezzzuuus out of me!
SO TRUE!
No ABS
No Traction Control
No ESP/Steering and Yaw correction
No Power Assist (like the 4C)
No Excuses
Within 15-20 minutes of the first time I take her out, I realize..... I do NOT know how to drive!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about airless ....then again, there is air flowing through them :unsure:

View attachment 124442
That's a real thing / prototype.... alternative to run-flat idea? Industrial uses/benefits......
Haven't seen such a thing before but it doesn't look like weight is a concern in that design, haha

Reactions: lpspeedster

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
That's a real thing / prototype.... alternative to run-flat idea? Industrial uses/benefits......
Haven't seen such a thing before but it doesn't look like weight is a concern in that design, haha
Methinks the weight thing can eventually be overcome with alternate material etc... :p

Wheel Bicycle hub Bicycle tire Tire Plant

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Administrator
17,947 Posts
Tons of these in industrial use already - from lawnmowers to backhoes, skidsteers and wheel loaders.

For cars, kind of hard to keep heat in the tires, though!

And a gum rubber shortage is a real thing. With demand up, and plantations being torn out for development, or located in socially/politically unstable parts of the globe, climate change, and tree diseases, there is a real crisis in the industrial rubber market. That won't change any time soon, so methods to recycle, alternative materials, extending life cycles, and more frugal designs are all needed. Not just for tires - anything from plumbing to aerospace uses rubber in critical components. So far (in my limited understanding), real rubber is still best - perhaps with additives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
These new SMART tires were just on Shark Tank a week ago using some proprietary technology developed by NASA for their space vehicles program. The tires are super light and bullet proof because there is no air in them,

·
Administrator
17,947 Posts
These new SMART tires were just on Shark Tank a week ago using some proprietary technology developed by NASA for their space vehicles program. The tires are super light and bullet proof because there is no air in them,

They’re late to the party. Presumably some new technology in the rubber.
Michelin has been making this style if tire for the better part of a decade..
Look up Michelin X Tweel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts