Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

The challenge of driving an Alfa 4C fast

10K views 72 replies 37 participants last post by  Alipapa 
#1 ·
Hi 4C Fans,

Something I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on is driving an Alfa 4C fast. I am talking about quiet back roads with lots of corners and plenty of bumps which we seek out on a weekend, not perfectly smooth race tracks.
Please don't confuse my criticism of driving the 4C fast to owning it generally.

It's a beautiful unique car, one that gives so much pleasure when driving whether it be slowly, in a spirited way and even when it's sitting in the garage. Let's put that aside for a bit and focus on what it's like to drive fast though, as that is one of the biggest challenges I am facing and it makes me wonder if others share this issue.

A bit of background first. At 40 years of age, I'm about 20 - 24 years removed from when I was a reckless youngster. Unfortunate (or fortunate) enough to grow up with cheap underpowered cars, my friends and I really did learn the drive the door handles off anything we could get our hands on being rural kids. These were the days where speed cameras were very rare and there were plenty of quiet roads.
When I look back at what we did with so little it kinda blows me away, but growing up, gaining responsibilities, having kids etc changes your outlook, as does the acquisition of modern cars.
My current thinking is too many years in modern refined cars (latest daily is a tuned Golf R mk 7.5) really makes the Alfa feel hard to drive. While modern AWD cars (and likely plenty of FWD and RWD cars too) have great grip, are very predictable and remove you from the driving experience, they are undoubtedly extremely easy to drive fast.

The worse a road gets to a point, the better these cars get, unless they've been lowered too much and are super stiff which is where the 4C comes in. Give a 20 year old version of me a 4C and it would be amazing, now, it just feels so different to what I am used to, borderline dangerous often when I really get the speed up.

Basically, I can't think of any road I would drive on where I am faster in my 4C than my Golf R which is a little depressing given what I feel its potential is.
It's a combination of the lack of front end stability, the very firm suspension, the manual steering and everything which makes it unique. I know we don't buy these only to drive fast, but it makes me wonder if something like a Cayman is the natural answer to the question I am seeking. What car provides the modern elements of great control with the benefits of feeling like a true sports car?

FWIW, my 4C has Alfworks intermediate blocks, lowered springs, rear uniballs and runs MPS 4S tyres, 255 rears with 215 fronts (on 9.5 and 8 inch rims).

Keen to get everyone's perspective. Maybe a few track days would help?
At least that would provide a safe way to really know its limits. I am making sure I get out in it at least once a week, driving in race mode as much as possible (without drivers aids).
If this is about getting used to the car, nothing will beat repetition and familiarity that should come with it.

Anyway, who suffers from this bogeyman and how did you deal with it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Race Mode is a no-no (for me at least) I’ve found that Dynamic will let you take the car deep into the fun zone without the electronic nannies jumping in, and when they did jump in I was thankful.

I live in and grew up in the upstate of SC and have some of the best mountain roads in the US within a couple hours of me. I’ve also grown up flogging various shitboxes and sports cars like yourself. With 42,000 miles in my 4C, probably half of those miles on those roads, I know both well. And even then I won’t put it in race mode.

There’s always gravel or a slick spot or a cyclist or any number of other unpredictable changes. Dynamic is plenty of fun with an element of safety.
Plus steel guardrails + SMC panels = $$$

#3 ·
Seconded above, I would not put the 4C in race mode on public roads, maybe cept when I'm trying to use launch control in a straight line. For me I've always been in the camp of, if you get into a position that the TC is kicking in to help you in public roads, then you are endangering both yourself and others.

Track days (or autocross!) would definitely help, but regardless I think part of it is that the heavy steering makes you feel like you are approaching the limit far before you get there, combined with the nervousness of the steering. I think track days would help you explore those limits and work your way down from there for mountain drives.

I actually think the lowering springs in this case is damaging as it's probably too stiff for bumpy roads. Which springs are you on?

#4 ·
Here we go then
Hi 4C Fans,

Something I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on is driving an Alfa 4C fast. I am talking about quiet back roads with lots of corners and plenty of bumps which we seek out on a weekend, not perfectly smooth race tracks.
Please don't confuse my criticism of driving the 4C fast to owning it generally.

It's a beautiful unique car, one that gives so much pleasure when driving whether it be slowly, in a spirited way and even when it's sitting in the garage. Let's put that aside for a bit and focus on what it's like to drive fast though, as that is one of the biggest challenges I am facing and it makes me wonder if others share this issue.

A bit of background first. At 40 years of age, I'm about 20 - 24 years removed from when I was a reckless youngster. Unfortunate (or fortunate) enough to grow up with cheap underpowered cars, my friends and I really did learn the drive the door handles off anything we could get our hands on being rural kids. These were the days where speed cameras were very rare and there were plenty of quiet roads.
When I look back at what we did with so little it kinda blows me away, but growing up, gaining responsibilities, having kids etc changes your outlook, as does the acquisition of modern cars.
My current thinking is too many years in modern refined cars (latest daily is a tuned Golf R mk 7.5) really makes the Alfa feel hard to drive. While modern AWD cars (and likely plenty of FWD and RWD cars too) have great grip, are very predictable and remove you from the driving experience, they are undoubtedly extremely easy to drive fast.

The worse a road gets to a point, the better these cars get, unless they've been lowered too much and are super stiff which is where the 4C comes in. Give a 20 year old version of me a 4C and it would be amazing, now, it just feels so different to what I am used to, borderline dangerous often when I really get the speed up.

Basically, I can't think of any road I would drive on where I am faster in my 4C than my Golf R which is a little depressing given what I feel its potential is.
It's a combination of the lack of front end stability, the very firm suspension, the manual steering and everything which makes it unique. I know we don't buy these only to drive fast, but it makes me wonder if something like a Cayman is the natural answer to the question I am seeking. What car provides the modern elements of great control with the benefits of feeling like a true sports car?

FWIW, my 4C has Alfworks intermediate blocks, lowered springs, rear uniballs and runs MPS 4S tyres, 255 rears with 215 fronts (on 9.5 and 8 inch rims).

Keen to get everyone's perspective. Maybe a few track days would help?
At least that would provide a safe way to really know its limits. I am making sure I get out in it at least once a week, driving in race mode as much as possible (without drivers aids).
If this is about getting used to the car, nothing will beat repetition and familiarity that should come with it.

Anyway, who suffers from this bogeyman and how did you deal with it?
Wow, I just started reading one of Ben Collins’ books and thought I must have been channeling telepathically.
I’d stick with Dynamic mode, but that’s me.
Alignment, alignment, alignment. Zero front toe, increase negative camber to hide the understeer for a while on standard, non-race suspension. Intermediate blocks on their own won’t give you enough negative camber
Uniballs to stop the rear wheels moving about on the rubber bushes. The solidity at the rear after doing this inspires confidence. You should have felt this with Rudis’ road settings for toe-in and camber.
Changing tyres from Pirelli to Michelin should have improved thing a lot.(or any number of semi-slicks if all you are looking for is grip). I don’t know why, apart from looks, there is the obsession to go with extra width for the road.
There is a stretch of the Putty Road between the servo at Colo Heights out to Howes Valley. It‘s surface is uneven but not potholed, with lots of undulations and high speed curves. I don’t travel at ridiculous speeds but my 4C has no trouble coping at the pace I enjoy. (I simply won’t quote numbers but when travelling solo it’s quicker than on our group drives) It’s a challenging bit of road and used to get my heart pumping before the simple mods I had done to it. Now it’s simply enjoyable. Do you know the road at all? Hope this helps.
Why did you go with lowered springs? My view is that for rough roads suspension travel is your friend You need lots of it. It’s also why I haven’t gone to a rear anti-roll bar. I don’t want the rear skipping when it gets rough.

You’ve got to remember that cars like Golfs are inherently more stable than our 4Cs. It’s simply physics. What tyres are the Golf running? This can tell you a lot....Are they cheating with ultra sticky stuff?

You’re Victorian so how you can cope with the zero tolerance of the constabulary and hidden speed cameras to any speed over the limit I don’t know. That’d do more to kill the enjoyment for me.

Lastly, can you drive it quickly while relaxed? Being smooth and relaxed helps heaps.

#5 ·
I'm six years older than you, but the reason I bought this car WAS to feel like a reckless youngster ;)

In my opinion it doesn't really matter if the Alfa is quicker than your Golf R on the road--what matters is how it makes you feel. I love that every drive in the 4C is a dance on a razor's edge; I want it to scare me a little. You mentioned a Cayman, I still own one that I don't really drive now. It's a brilliant car, really refined and composed, maybe the easiest car to drive fast that I have ever driven. But... it's all engineering and sensibility, and it lacks the passion of the Alfa.

You should definitely do some autocross/track day/driving school sessions. Once you become comfortable with how mid-engine cars rotate and how to transfer weight with confidence you won't want to drive anything else. I had an MR2 that used to scare the crap out of me--once I got enough seat time, and corrections became natural reflexes, I really learned to love that car. Explore the limits in a safe setting. Often.

#6 ·
Thanks Gents,

I only started using race mode as I figured perhaps the driving aids were holding me back. Doesn't sound like it, but they do the spoil the party when trying to drop a nice powerslide in your driveway....
I'll go back to Dynamic mode and stick to using the paddles, I figure using the gears keeps the engagement going a bit more.

Previous owner did the springs, I thought they were H&R but isn't likely as I can't find a match for them online. Must say I really do like the look of the lowered car, so would hate to raise it up.

Alfanut, where I can I get those alignment numbers? Also, does getting it right mean extra parts, if so let me know where to throw my cash.
Btw, I am in Tasmania not from Vic, as you know we have some great roads here, but they aren't always the smoothest.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about high speed corners where you are well above the speed limit into licence losing territory. Too much to lose to risk that. I'm talking about those roads which are often not even sign posted, most people may go along them at 60'ish kph where going a decent amount faster isn't getting into dangerous territory, but gives you bulk fun.

Edit, good tips Mateo. I think a track day is going to mandatory just to get my bearings on the limits. I think the mid engined challenge is just another complication. Us humans can seem to adjust to one or two variables well, but stack them all up and it gets tough.

I've not a total dunce behind the wheel but I have never been one of those guys who can just pilot anything at the limit with minimal prep. We've all seen people like that, some people have that knack on a motorbike, car, go karts etc, that real sense of precision which seems innate.

#7 ·
I’ll post the numbers...
You can purchase extra shims to push out the camber or have a shop fabricate some for you. You’re limited by the length of the bolt protruding as to how many shims you can attach. Not all cars are the same due to it being hand-built so can’t advise how many you’ll need, probably 8 or twelve in total. Have a look and see how much bolt end is exposed. Just a bit less than that length is your limit. Each shim is 2mm thick, if I remember correctly.
I have a favourite left-hand corner somewhere (Alfa1105 followed me through it a little while ago on one of our drives, so I think he knows the one) that is signposted at 45km/h that I do at 100 without the Pirellis squealing. Plenty in reserve with reasonable vision ahead through the trees. This makes me happy.

Attachments

#11 ·
Grasshopper....

Before you can run in a 4C, you must first learn to walk.

The only place to experiment with the limits of your 4C is in a semi-controlled environment on a skid pan, or track, or closed off area, where you can creep up to the limits and sometimes go a little beyond. It helps if that "track" is smooth, as you approach the limits gradually and can back away when you run out of talent without hurting your pride, or the car.

If you find the limits of your 4C on the road, you have ignored the warning signs that the car has already signalled to you.

Yes the 4C can get twitchy under brakes, or with camber changes, but it responds sympathetically to the correct inputs in response to the dynamic situation you have got yourself into.

Race mode is not something to be frightened of on the street, (at least with a dry road in good condition and the standard Alfa tune), but it does take away one layer of active protection with the stability control that you get in Dynamic mode, (that most of the time isn't actually doing much, but when it's needed, then you want it to step in and save the day). I use race mode a lot on the right road, in the right conditions - mainly for the throttle response, fast gear shifts and pops and bangs, you do get the odd little wiggle from wheelspin, but throttle and brake modulation, with smooth steering inputs will keep things moving along just fine. As soon as the weather, road surface, ambient light levels, traffic etc starts ganging up on me, I knock the car back into one of the other modes that is more suited to the driving conditions at the time.

You might be surprised at how far out of line the stability control will allow the car to get in Dynamic mode before it steps in - in the right conditions you can actually get a fair bit of an opposite lock powerslide going with the rear tyres smoking (on a track of course).

There are plenty of modern "family" road cars that are very capable machines - if you dropped them on a racetrack with the so called sports cars from 10-15 years ago, would give them a very good run for their money, and in some cases embarrass the owners of the older vehicles.

You also have the family cars that have a S badge or an R badge on them where the driver is convinced their car is more than a match for the 4C tootling along in traffic minding its own business. They usually get put back in their place quite abruptly when they start pushing their vehicle to its traction limits and the driver gets beyond his or her talent limits - usually well below the speed limit I might add.

For me, it is the challenge of driving the 4C well that makes it such a fun vehicle to drive.

If you have never had your 4C up to a reasonable speed (above legal speed on the road in Australia), then you haven't fully appreciated what this car is capable of.

I recommend getting some track time with an instructor that understands these cars, then you will appreciate that the 4C has very high limits that we will rarely, if ever, tap into on the road.

Cheers,

Alf.

#12 ·
I'll echo some of the comments from other owners.

What makes the 4C a challenge to drive fast is that most of us aren't familiar with the midengine dynamics. So lets say you go into a corner a tad fast, most modern front engine cars will understeer. Your first reaction is to lift the accelerator and turn the steering wheel more into the corner. If you lift in the corner with a midengine car, you often will spin because the mass is behind you and you just removed additional weight (traction) from the rear wheels. As many have noted, a track or skid pad (and practice) will help train that gut reaction out of you with the 4C. Quality instruction is a huge part of the learning.

The 4C also has a very short wheel base. This makes it able to change directions very quickly. This makes it feel like that gocart you had as a kid, which is a blast. However, it will also change directions very quickly when you did something stupid (or over the limit). You have to have very quick (and correct) reflexes to catch the car when you cross that line. Practice.. Practice.. Practice...

Finally, there have been several modification suggestions. Alignment is always recommended, as the car had a very bad habit of leaving the factory with rather poor settings. Uniballs replaces the rear rubber bushings with solid bushings. The purpose of this was to remove a passive rear steer that Alfa built into the car by putting two different stiffness bushings on the A-arms. It made feeling the car far far more difficult (and a little unpredictable). And many users swear by adding Alfworks Shims up front. This significantly alters the stock alignment numbers making the car far less darty over bumpy roads. Another welcomed addition to improve handling and predictability on less than perfect back roads (and on track).

#13 ·
It seems like there have a been a lot of good answers already posted here. So I'll just throw in my summary of all the stuff listed.

1. Don't use Race Mode on the street
There is no benefit!!! Dynamic will allow you to push the car as hard as you want but will save you if you make a mistake. If the car is intervening in Dynamic mode on the street you are pushing too hard. Launch mode works in Dynamic Mode as well.

2. The 4C is a very hard car to drive fast
I'm very fortunate that my job has given me the opportunity to drive just about everything out there on the track. The 4C is one of the hardest modern cars to drive at 10/10's. The mid-engine and short wheel base contribute mostly to that fact. That being said it takes a lot of skill to push the 4C to it's limits (which shouldn't be done on the street). I suggest you take a performance driving course. You will be amazed at how much it improves your street driving as well as lap times on the track.

3. Lowering springs with stock shocks will make the car easier to upset over bumpy roads
If the spring rates don't match the damping of the shocks the car will not do well over bumpy roads. This will upset the car and make it harder to control over rough roads.

#48 ·
2. The 4C is a very hard car to drive fast
I'm very fortunate that my job has given me the opportunity to drive just about everything out there on the track. The 4C is one of the hardest modern cars to drive at 10/10's. The mid-engine and short wheel base contribute mostly to that fact. That being said it takes a lot of skill to push the 4C to it's limits (which shouldn't be done on the street). I suggest you take a performance driving course. You will be amazed at how much it improves your street driving as well as lap times on the track.
I'm curious for a new opinion, as I am deep diving into the 4c's dynamics (so to understand what mods and direction I want to take with the platform while parts and vendors are still in full swing given this is the final year(s) the model will have any support), and having enough seat time learning my first mid-engine daily (auto and turbo also firsts) I am finding it to be more a peach once I replace "this" and cut "here" and add "that"...
What makes it 10/10 the "hardest modern car-" you've driven? Also based on which other cars?
I've been testing the new C8 corvette and GTS 4.0 cayman and boxster, have ample seat time with 2020 and 2016 boxster spyders, and the Italia spider, and the 4c still feels like the most "dial-able" despite feeling the most "underbuilt". Also, despite nearly comparing apples to oranges since the weight and drivetrain are absolutely different ballgames, the 4c still feels like the same sport, if you will. Apart from the obvious, the general dynamics are all "the same" in their quirky ways, from the septic and clinical Mclarens/Porsches to the rambunctious and rather sociopathic 4c with the Pirellis and hardcore-modded 2016 Boxster Spyder/GT4 "turned to 11" - they all "suffer" the same general quirks, just at different volumes.
I firmly believe if they had offered a manual in the 4c it would have been amazing, although very slow compared to "competition" since the DCT is actually a surprisingly great little kit on the track (mild driving really doesn't fit in the tune, I'm re-discovering with more detail). Once I get my HVAC upgraded to actually cool when temps hit over 95° (feels like Florida is just decades away from becoming a desert wasteland, today was 102° and AC on full blast still made me sweat), it is still tied with the Mclaren 650s Spider as the hands down best (exotic) daily drivers at their price points.
(Side note, the new C8 will change that for sure, as when the retard CEO'S of other manufacturers see the profit potential of returning to sports cars made by those with some balls and half an intuitive vision, I can imagine the upcoming swan song of sports cars will be like the horsepower wars that last decade will be famous for, and we will all win, again. In my case, that means a delightful buffet of drivetrain options for my already owned carbon tub, when the OEM goes kaput.)

#14 ·
Wow, what a talented bunch. It's best I keep my mouth shut here, as this is a time to learn for me. The only thing I can add is that for a simple car its complicated to drive. If the road is smooth, then I think you need to take a set and keep it there. You have to be confident in what you are doing if you are going to take it "there." You don't correct the steering unless you break loose - this is a go kart and goes exactly where you point it. Sounds simple, except no road is smooth. And that's where you have to correct, on a car that doesn't tend to need to be corrected. It is in this area, controlling a 4C on imperfect roads, where the car takes all of your attention. This is the joy of the car. This is why it doesn't matter if the McLaren is faster. You are fully engaged in the experience, and they are most certainly not in comparison.

Ironically, early on in this forum, that's all we heard. Tramlining. The car just dug into a groove and it was unsettling. I don't read about that much anymore because we've learned to drive the car. It's not like anything most of us have ever had before! It's awesome.

#16 ·
An irrefutable truth is that the overwhelming majority of people will never be able to fully extract the potential that comes from a mid-engined car. And of the mid-engined cars that make that even harder than other mid-engined cars is the 4C.

It's potential is higher. Your ability to tap that potential is lower.

You can drive other configurations at 98 - 99%. The 4C you can do 8/10...9/10.... and that drops it to the point, along with lack of confidence, below where you could hoon a GTI or R. Wherein 'you' are not race-level skilled with a M/R layout. Few are.

If I had a ghost car to race, and that ghost car was me tearing up my favorite bits in my 4C, and I still had my Audi S3, I might mop the floor with myself. I would outdo my best 4C run by far with an S3. In the 4C, that limit scares me enough to leave room for error. In the S3, I'd invite the errors and correct them.

Dynamics are harder to take advantage of, even if potential is higher. However... I have 10,000 miles / 6,000 Kms in my 4C.

I am over a million miles of driving in my life. My mid- or rear-engined experience is about 25,000 miles between a 911 and a 4C. Woefully low.

#21 ·
Agree Philster....except for the 10,000miles / 6,000kms conversion ;-) (ya....I went there lol)

Typo -- not ignorance! 10,000 miles / 16000 kms :p

I remain one of the few who make the effort to speak in stupid Imperial and also metric.

#18 ·
I'm still learning the limits of the 4C. And the limits of the smiles it generates on my face. The fact that my Type R gets around a track quicker than my 4C does says a lot, either about my ability, or the 4C's stability.

They're pretty strict out here on the road, but when there's no one around the roads are awesome. And sufficient space between cameras on the three lane freeways to work the 4C's lungs. The mountains here take care of the twisties. But as soon as there are other cars on the road I back off. Would not be fair to let others pay for my mistakes.

And @Alfanut, Reading Ben Collin's just pointed out to me how much I did not know.

#19 ·
When I got my first Lotus Elise, someone told me what LOTUS meant: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious :p And the other, which I had to learn to really put in practice: Lift Of Throttle U Spin. Like DrPyro2K said above, try not to lift in the corners. Go in a little slower and keep some throttle applied therefore keeping the weight on the rear wheels. It takes practice but once you get it down, it feels quite natural.

#20 ·
Yeah, the 4Cis a fun, fast car, but not one I would want to push to the limit. I feel quicker in the S2000, but the acceleration is much quicker in the Alfa between corners. Overall, I would say I am faster in the Alfa, but it is a bit stressful compared to the ease with which you can get the S2000 close to the edge of what it is capable of. I also stay in dynamic mode, but I am not racing anyone.

#22 ·
I initially had the same feeling: a golf r, audi S3, etc would be faster on a twisted road. Currently I don't think this anymore.
I have some race track experience that helped me find the limits of the car --> For this reason I avoid driving to the limit on the street --> The grip and the speed is much lower on the street.
Currently on a twisted road I believe I am faster in the alfa 4c but I have to concentrate much more than in other mentioned cars. If I want to drive fast I feel that I really have to be 100% involved: aka brake as late as possible, turn hard, accelerate hard, push the car to the limit in all it's capabilities where the golf ... you can just drive it fast without being too involved or demanding. The main difference is: the golf feels like a street car driven on the street while the alfa feels like a race car driven on the street (not in it's habitat).
On the race track though ... I am way more faster with the alfa --> On the race track the car feels at home.

#24 ·
In dynamic the car will emulate a rear diff so you can accelerate more efficiently. In race mode you can spin rear tires easily and loose time.
Don't worry, you can still spin the car, loose control or whatever in dynamic --> By the time it intervenes you can already be off the street. The main difference that I find is that in relation to the electronic diff.

#25 ·
The above post and its thoughtful and diverse responses speak volumes to the quality of this forum. In particular the opinions on the relative lack of seat time many of us have with mid engine cars can't be understated. In a situation where you have to make split second calculation change based on the shifting momentum of the car mid corner for example, we inevitably revert to what our minds tell us has saved our asses in the past. When the mid engine car gives us a different outcome than expected, we feel a momentary loss of control or perception thereof. That feeling is why many of us are here, and why I adore this car to no end. A common analogy where I live is the car feels like a stripper; an unthinkably attractive lust object you would love to think you can one day control, buy inwardly you know that's never going to happen....
+1 on the lowering springs by the way. Lose them and the ride quality and control will improve.
Schwab
Vegas...

#27 ·
When you're attacking a winding back road in the 4C, there's so much feedback that it's if the car is shouting at you. Providing that you understand what it is saying, this is a delightful car to drive fast. With that, here are a few things that I have noted.
  • You can futz with geometries, blocks, etc, but it's really not necessary and if you don't know what you're doing, you can easily make things worse. Get the car aligned properly by someone who knows what they're doing. My tuning shop corrected the toe and fixed the alignment up better than my Alfa dealer could do.
  • Fore/aft weight transfer is especially important in this car under acceleration and deceleration. It's short-rigged and has a heavy rear bias. A quick tap of the brakes can help put some weight down on the front wheels when you're trying to change direction. Conversely, when you're on the gas, don't expect a lot of grip out of the front going into a turn. Managing weight transfer in this car is a big part of the experience.
  • Dynamic mode is very enthusiast oriented and will allow you to throw the car sideways. On the street, it's not holding you back and it's pretty unobtrusive. Aside from launches, I don't see the point of driving in Race mode on the street. Oh, if you have your 4C sideways, as with any car, you better have a plan, because you can do things in this car where the 4C stability control isn't going to save your ass. This isn't a 911 with supercomputer-level nannies.
  • Tires. My PZeroes were bald at 8k miles. I've got 4k miles on the Bridgestones. They're considerably stiffer and grippier than the Pirelli's requiring a recalibration for spirited driving (see weight transfer). With the OE wheels, 18/19 options are extremely limited, but there's a surprising amount of offerings if you've got 17/18s.
  • If you've spent your years driving front-engined cars, mid-engine cars are a different animal. It is the best configuration, but accept that it can take time to understand them. Get some track instruction/autocross time in.
If you don't feel like you're in step with the car, slow down and take the time to understand it. If you're not listening to the car, so-called "limits" are irrelevant. Be safe and have fun. On the street, it's not a race.

#28 ·
I love it.

A Cayman will be an easier car to drive fast. Also less visceral and more practical. A great daily driven sports car if two seats is enough. Manual and NA options are available.

To me the rear bushings were very important for any aggressive driving at all - makes the car predictable - but everything else has been extra credit. I had a basic alignment done before taking delivery so perhaps that’s necessary too.

The Alfa is extremely rewarding and fun to drive when you understand how to manage the weight transfer, the short wheelbase, and rear traction with the turbo. Hilarious fun at times! I find the car provides plenty of feedback and makes it easy to control if you’re quick about responding to the road. But if those things aren’t intuitive to you yet, this will be a very hard or even dangerous car to drive fast.

I like race mode in dry conditions as it feels more authentic/natural. I don’t like the traction control in dynamic as I occasionally feel it interfering slightly with the car which really throws me off emotionally. In my 2017 Porsche I didn’t mind the traction control, so I think it has to do with how it corrects inputs. The Alfa can be a bit ham fisted on bumpy surfaces. And if I weren’t comfortable handling the car at speed in a spin without nannies I would definitely leave them on for safety.

If you want an easier car to drive with some of the benefits of the Golf R, really do go drive a Cayman - they’re great. But if you want to see why these cars are so much more fun than most other cars, get some time in at your local track. It doesn’t have to be in the Alfa if you’re new to it - there’s a lot to learn before the mid-engine dynamics will be a big asset to you. You probably need to be at a point where you can stop a surprise spin with no drama (keeping yourself and your car’s suspension calm the whole time) and where you stabilize the car’s rear end by steadily applying the throttle through fast corners. Obviously the track is the best place to practice that type of thing.

#30 ·
I don't agree with everyone here saying you should use dynamic on the street and race mode on the track. For me it's the opposite.
At the track I really push the car. The 4C is indeed a very hard car to drive on the edge. Especially because of the mid engine layout, with a lot of weight on the rear wheels. If it goes, it goes. When pushing on the track I'm often on the edge and it did save me sometimes on the track.
On the road I also like spirited driving, but not even close as how fast I go on the track. I therefore love to put it in race mode. On tight corners, accelerating out of corners, etc., I really like to slide it. That's perfectly controleble on low speeds.

I think the whole thing about the feeling going faster in other cars is because the limits are so much closer. A Golf R will slide at speeds where the 4C (with some good old AD08R tyres) will give you the idea: "can't you go faster?" It's just a handfull to drive, so you are not so much experiencing the speed, but purely the car.

#31 ·
Good thread, but problematic in one way:

There is no 'correct' overall alignment. There is one compromised alignment that best addresses what you are going to experience most often while making the less frequent experiences ok, too.

On the tightest corners and on roads with hills (where the lift reduces grip) and HARD braking, there is an alignment. Slower average road speed, where quickness to change direction really matters, and there is an alignment. Tight, twisty, hilly roads. Back mountain stuff, with rapid changes of everything.

On roads with sweepers, more trail braking and higher overall speeds, the same alignment will wash or scrub the front terribly.

I cannot bring the same speed into any long sweeper that I can on a longer wheelbase car that has more front tire. But... my alignment is best for the roads I get up early to drive on: Tight, twisty, hilly back woods stuff.

But it was worth stating. Set it up for what you are going to drive on most often.

#34 ·
For all those golfers here (anyone?) ... I relate the 4C to a set of BLADE player's irons. The Cayman et al is like the super game improvement irons. With blades .... you really have to work for a good shot, but you always KNOW when you've hit that good shot. The ball comes off the blade in complete harmony, no vibration and perfect tajectory. If you mishit it .... YOU WILL KNOW. The blade iron will automatically provide feedback. You have to be GOOD to play blades in golf.

A Cayman et al are like super game improvement irons. Just aim and shoot. The irons are designed with large faces, huge amounts of offset, large bounces, and tons of MOI. Any less talented golfer can play these irons and hit decent shots, but less rewarding in the feel department.

Reactions: Mateo Largo and B-T
#35 ·
Just to follow up on this thread...

Short wheelbases have notoriously been deemed "twitchy". I remember when BMW was campaigning their Z3 GT/GT3 car. The BMW drivers always commented how the smaller wheelbase on it compared to the other GT cars made it a handful to drive around the track. They weren't saying it was terrible, but just the fact that they had to work a bit harder than the other drivers to achieve competitive lap times.

That being said, the 4C given it's short wheelbase will seem twitchy compared to something like a Cayman. The Cayman will definitely seem more stable and driveable compared to the 4C. Cayman is a great vehicle, no doubt. It just comes down to what you use your car for and what you enjoy.

However, I would definitely recommend experiencing your 4C on a race track before you make any decisions. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.