Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Along with the 4C, I currently own two other mid-engine sports cars (NSX and Cayman S), and track them as well. In the past, I've owned both rear-engine and front-engine sports cars.

Based on my own personal experience, the 4C behaves quite differently from front-engine sports cars. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that the 4C is more difficult to drive compared to other mid-engine sports cars I have owned/driven. Yes, imperfections on the road are more amplified in the 4C due to its narrow tires, lightness, and short wheelbase. Nevertheless, I don't think that it's unforgiving.

For example, I have had many situations where I would enter the corner too hot, and lift the throttle/trail brake in the middle of the turn. In those situations, it's relatively easy to predict when the rear is going to lose traction. And when it does, it's not as more difficult to correct it than with the NSX or the Cayman S. In fact, all my "spun outs" happened with my NSX where once I lost traction, it was game over. I wonder if the sensation of rawness of the 4C is giving the impression that it's a harder car to drive. It took me some time to get used to its sharpness - it's especially noticeable when you drive it back to back after the Cayman S - but once I got used to it, I found the 4C to be as forgiving as the Cayman S to drive fast.

One area I can pinpoint where I do have harder time with the 4C vs the NSX and the Cayman S is modulating the throttle input due to the turbo spool between 2K-4K rpm. However, this is more related to the inherent difference between NA cars and FI cars.

Just my 2 cents.
Tiger, is your NSX an older N/A model or a new fancy pants hybrid?
Both are very cool, goes without saying you have a nice collection there and thank you for the insight.

Tiger, is your NSX an older N/A model or a new fancy pants hybrid?
Both are very cool, goes without saying you have a nice collection there and thank you for the insight.
Thank you. It's the first-generation NA model. I have had 4 NSXs over the last 2 decades, and they are wonderful cars. Definitely under-appreciated for a long time until when the second-generation got introduced. I would love to get the second-generation someday as well.

The 4C is a four second car. Now, it can't do 211 mph of course, but if you read this fantastic R&T article by Peter Egan, who is just an amazing writer and automotive journalist, you realize that the 4C, with respect to acceleration, is on par with the most amazing cars ever built from that era. I cannot believe a 0-60 time on par with the Ruf Twin Turbo, aka Yellow Bird, a car being built again by the way, truly the daddy of them all!

I realize this isn't a post on how to drive a 4C fast, but its nice to know when driven fast, its up there with the best ever.

A lot of the faster time to 60 on the 4C is due to its light weight and mid engine BUT mostly its DC trans.
My neighbor (also Forum member and fellow 4C LE owner) has a Porsche 935 clone with step nose body, supercharged (not twin turbo), full roll cage, etc. Went for a ride in it with him yesterday....two things stand out....how high it sits compared to a 4C...and the time it takes to shift compared to a DC trans.

A lot of the faster time to 60 on the 4C is due to its light weight and mid engine BUT mostly its DC trans.
My neighbor (also Forum member and fellow 4C LE owner) has a Porsche 935 clone with step nose body, supercharged (not twin turbo), full roll cage, etc. Went for a ride in it with him yesterday....two things stand out....how high it sits compared to a 4C...and the time it takes to shift compared to a DC trans.
Your point on the seating position is something that is rarely commented on in detail. Having suffered back trauma in the past, seating IS very important to me. The seat type and position placement options is pivotal in my decision making. Funny how I truly wanted to LOVE my previous Abarth500c...and I did, save and except the bus driver seating position! So it eventually went to another Happ(ier) owner :) On the older 911s many had the lowered seat rail and for those who may not know, the difference between a Factory Sport Seat vs regular, at least to me, was the difference in buying the car or not. The only thing I wish that we could (should) have on our seats is the ability to adjust the seat back tilt a bit more towards the rear. Notwithstanding, I am utterly amazed at how much they achieved in those seats with the limited space they take up!!

Your point on the seating position is something that is rarely commented on in detail. Having suffered back trauma in the past, seating IS very important to me. The seat type and position placement options is pivotal in my decision making. Funny how I truly wanted to LOVE my previous Abarth500c...and I did, save and except the bus driver seating position! So it eventually went to another Happ(ier) owner :) On the older 911s many had the lowered seat rail and for those who may not know, the difference between a Factory Sport Seat vs regular, at least to me, was the difference in buying the car or not. The only thing I wish that we could (should) have on our seats is the ability to adjust the seat back tilt a bit more towards the rear. Notwithstanding, I am utterly amazed at how much they achieved in those seats with the limited space they take up!!
There is a way to tilt our seats more. I haven't done it as I found raising the front seat position to the middle position and leaving the rear in the lowest position lets me get a much more comfortable seating position AND the back is now tilted perfect for me. Evidently some have added additional tilt to the existing seats by adding an additional hole in the brackets. You may want to run a new topic about how to do that or use our search utility. Others might have more information about how they did it and any difficulty encountered.

There is a way to tilt our seats more. I haven't done it as I found raising the front seat position to the middle position and leaving the rear in the lowest position lets me get a much more comfortable seating position AND the back is now tilted perfect for me. Evidently some have added additional tilt to the existing seats by adding an additional hole in the brackets. You may want to run a new topic about how to do that or use our search utility. Others might have more information about how they did it and any difficulty encountered.
Understand and agree, my point is that Alfa could have made the same seat tilt further to the rear as I like my current "lowest" seat rail position given my height. I just think the last "seat back" position is still a bit too 'vertical'and they had room to allow for it. But hey, I still bought the car, so it is not that bad! lol

Understand and agree, my point is that Alfa could have made the same seat tilt further to the rear as I like my current "lowest" seat rail position given my height. I just think the last "seat back" position is still a bit too 'vertical'and they had room to allow for it. But hey, I still bought the car, so it is not that bad! lol
If you were to raise the seat to the middle position in the front and leave at the lowest in the rear, you will actually have more headroom when the seat it tilted all the way back to its max stock position. In full flat position I couldn't see the upper part of my instrument display....now I can easily. It also makes for ample headroom when I wear my race helmet. For me it is also much more comfortable...especially on braking when before I felt like I was fighting sliding forward where now I stick like glue to factory seats with Alcantara centers on seat and back which works a bit like velcro on denim pants.
For me there is only one seating issue that ALFA missed....a way to connect a 5 point race harness without a need for a harness rail or custom fabricated connection points. I can even overlook the less than ideal side and shoulder bolsters if I had those connection points.

If you were to raise the seat to the middle position in the front and leave at the lowest in the rear, you will actually have more headroom when the seat it tilted all the way back to its max stock position. In full flat position I couldn't see the upper part of my instrument display....now I can easily. It also makes for ample headroom when I wear my race helmet. For me it is also much more comfortable...especially on braking when before I felt like I was fighting sliding forward where now I stick like glue to factory seats with Alcantara centers on seat and back which works a bit like velcro on denim pants.
For me there is only one seating issue that ALFA missed....a way to connect a 5 point race harness without a need for a harness rail or custom fabricated connection points. I can even overlook the less than ideal side and shoulder bolsters if I had those connection points.
Have you seen this?

Yes....I am well aware of this and the other harness bar some of our members use. I just wish that ALFA had supplied basic anchor points for a race harness in the car as delivered.
Something like this perhaps? But isn’t this the reason none of these will be allowed in the states?
Red Product Liqueur Supercar Car

Something like this perhaps? But isn’t this the reason none of these will be allowed in the states?
View attachment 107975
The reason they won't be imported into the US is because there are enough changes to require them to go through some recertification such as smog (the engine is a few more HP than the regular Q engine. They also probably have some safety gear left off that would be required here....just as the Euro 4C won't mean US crash standards so had to be reinforced with heavier duty carbon fiber tube and front and rear bumper supports.

There are so many hot hatches can be easily driven faster than a 4c on quiet back roads with lots of turn. I guess most mid engine cars will lose to a Golf R in that situation.

Try trail braking into turns and apply throttle a bit earlier (gently but not too gentle lol) so you will have boost at the exit.
4C is really rewarding to drive once you learn how to manipulate the balance of the car :geek:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.