Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
363 Posts
Hi guys,

So I made a video to talk about the Fiat 500 mirror. You can get 2 heated ones here for $67: Amazon.com: Pair Set Power Side View Mirrors Heated Type 1 Replacement for 12-17 Fiat 500 68087589AC 68103784AA: Automotive

The DEBATE IS OVER.
The debate is not over. I bought a Passenger side mirror from the USA for my old Lexus and once fitted I couldn’t understand why the angle didn’t line up with the rear of my car. It took me an hour to figure it out when I sat in the passenger side it was perfectly aligned to see behind me. Turns out in the USA that is a drivers side mirror and had a different magnification

can you confirm both mirrors are exactly the same as I’m believing now the glass is actually different for driver or passenger side

I.e a driver side mirror in Australia is a passenger side mirror in USA and the glass is of a different angle and or magnification.

edit: Convex mirrors is the correct terminology and they are on different sides for Australia although there is no debate on the actual fit of the casing, those driving on the wrong side of the road should buy one made for their countries

· Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The debate is not over. I bought a Passenger side mirror from the USA for my old Lexus and once fitted I couldn’t understand why the angle didn’t line up with the rear of my car. It took me an hour to figure it out when I sat in the passenger side it was perfectly aligned to see behind me. Turns out in the USA that is a drivers side mirror and had a different magnification

can you confirm both mirrors are exactly the same as I’m believing now the glass is actually different for driver or passenger side

I.e a driver side mirror in Australia is a passenger side mirror in USA and the glass is of a different angle and or magnification.

edit: Convex mirrors is the correct terminology and they are on different sides for Australia although there is no debate on the actual fit of the casing, those driving on the wrong side of the road should buy one made for their countries
I'll check once I'm done with my wheel.

· Registered
284 Posts
In the US, the driver side mirrror (left side) is flat and offers a 1 to 1 resolution for lack of a better term. The passenger side (right side) doesn’t magnify, but provides a larger field of view due to the convex shape of the lens. These US spec mirrors are required to have a warning on that mirror “OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR “ or something like that, apparently the DOT assumes we are too stupid to figure this out. In the rest of the world almost all manufacturers have aspheric mirrors for both sides of the car. These are nothing more than convex mirrors which provided a wider field off view. I had a foggy driver side mirror on my 4C which was replaced under warranty, to my great surprise the replacement was an aspheric version, for which I was happy, but still can’t figure out why it was installed since they AFAIK not DOT approved. I’m done!

· Registered
363 Posts
I'll check once I'm done with my wheel.
In the US, the driver side mirrror (left side) is flat and offers a 1 to 1 resolution for lack of a better term. The passenger side (right side) doesn’t magnify, but provides a larger field of view due to the convex shape of the lens. These US spec mirrors are required to have a warning on that mirror “OBJECTS ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR “ or something like that, apparently the DOT assumes we are too stupid to figure this out. In the rest of the world almost all manufacturers have aspheric mirrors for both sides of the car. These are nothing more than convex mirrors which provided a wider field off view. I had a foggy driver side mirror on my 4C which was replaced under warranty, to my great surprise the replacement was an aspheric version, for which I was happy, but still can’t figure out why it was installed since they AFAIK not DOT approved. I’m done!
My passenger side in Australia is also convex. Hence anyone buying a replacement from USA will get the convex on the wrong side. Pretty sure...

Thanks for the clarification there

· Registered
73 Posts
In the US, the driver side mirrror (left side) is flat and offers a 1 to 1 resolution for lack of a better term. The passenger side (right side) doesn’t magnify, but provides a larger field of view due to the convex shape of the lens. These US spec mirrors are required to have a warning on that mirror “OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR “ or something like that, apparently the DOT assumes we are too stupid to figure this out. In the rest of the world almost all manufacturers have aspheric mirrors for both sides of the car. These are nothing more than convex mirrors which provided a wider field off view. I had a foggy driver side mirror on my 4C which was replaced under warranty, to my great surprise the replacement was an aspheric version, for which I was happy, but still can’t figure out why it was installed since they AFAIK not DOT approved. I’m done!
Do you know what is the part number for the aspheric mirror that they installed? I would like to order it.

· Registered
10 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts