Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some will recall a 4C with a factory sticker of $112,995, there may have been several for all I know. In any case, one of those $113k stickered cars is now on AutoTrader for $38,929:

AutoTrader

Monroney

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Cars were/are priced all over the place - contributing to the fact that the 'market' may not completely understand this product....yet ;-)

I know mine was over the $100k CDN mark but had full cf interior trim, cf mirrors (sport pkg) and akra exhaust etc...which appears to be missing on this $113k car...just my 0.02c CDN :p

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Something weird about that window sticker. The base MSRP on the 2015 Spider wasn't $100,000.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
788 Posts
I posted a window sticker a while back that was 100,000. I think it's just a typo. Don't know if it's the same one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cars were/are priced all over the place - contributing to the fact that the 'market' may not completely understand this product....yet ;-)

I know mine was over the $100k CDN mark but had full cf interior trim, cf mirrors (sport pkg) and akra exhaust etc...which appears to be missing on this $113k car...just my 0.02c CDN :p
I have every option and my sticker was just under 98,000

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is another $100k base, $111,595 total 2015 Spider:

ZARBAAB42FM150369

Sticker clearly says FCA US LLC and the port of entry was Baltimore, MD so unlikely a Canadian car. I remember some discussion about the stickers being adjusted by Alfa for current market conditions - at least one member paid $100k for a car with dealer markup.

·
Super Moderator
15,653 Posts
Here is another $100k base, $111,595 total 2015 Spider:

ZARBAAB42FM150369

Sticker clearly says FCA US LLC and the port of entry was Baltimore, MD so unlikely a Canadian car. I remember some discussion about the stickers being adjusted by Alfa for current market conditions - at least one member paid $100k for a car with dealer markup.
A few did, for early LE’s, though.

Canadian stickers are clearly different, with Canadian fuel economy numbers, for instance (with government logo). They’re obvious.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Useless / useful info: My 2015 4C coupe stickered at (yes I have the og sticker) at $68,995.00. Fully loaded with every possible options-sans the annoying passenger ejection seat. I bought it for 38k 2 months ago. 29k Miles.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bump as I see that the car with VIN ZARBAAB42FM150369 is for sale on eBay with an ad which highlights the misleading $111k MSRP. As we all know no 4C was actually offered for sale at that price, and the most likely explanation is that those $100k base prices were "placeholders" for the very early cars while they finalized the pricing.

I tried to report the ad to eBay as emphasizing a misleading unreal MSRP off a flawed window sticker should not be allowed in my view, but there's no way to do that, the categories that eBay allows for reporting an ad are very precise and I couldn't find one that fit this issue. But I'm hoping that by continuing to post about car ZARBAAB42FM150369, a prospective buyer who researches the car via the VIN will quickly find out what the real story is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bump as I see that the car with VIN ZARBAAB42FM150369 is for sale on eBay with an ad which highlights the misleading $111k MSRP. As we all know no 4C was actually offered for sale at that price, and the most likely explanation is that those $100k base prices were "placeholders" for the very early cars while they finalized the pricing.

I tried to report the ad to eBay as emphasizing a misleading unreal MSRP off a flawed window sticker should not be allowed in my view, but there's no way to do that, the categories that eBay allows for reporting an ad are very precise and I couldn't find one that fit this issue. But I'm hoping that by continuing to post about car ZARBAAB42FM150369, a prospective buyer who researches the car via the VIN will quickly find out what the real story is.

I grew up in a city where there was one rule, never get in the way of someone and money. Never.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I grew up in a city where there was one rule, never get in the way of someone and money. Never.
Wow then I better watch my back. I guess I'm gonna sleep with the fishes. Who am I to try to provide correct information to a potential buyer, I totally have it coming.

·
Registered
72 Posts

There's another thread on this forum RE this issue. Consensus is early model 4C's had a "placeholder" window sticker/MSRP. I have come across several of these with over $100k MSRP (which they aren't really). The seller may not be clued up on this as we are here on the forum, so may be unintentionally misleading potential buyers. Having said that if you look up the VIN you will find that the window sticker is $100k+

·
Super Moderator
15,653 Posts
Yeah, when it is officially recorded as that price, placeholder or not, there's very little that someone outside of FCA can do to "prove" to a vendor or to ebay that the number is incorrect.

The "placeholder" idea seems the most likely reason for this high an amount, but that is really just our best guess as to how these documents came about. They aren't faked (other than perhaps by FCA).

In the end, the buyer is paying what he should feel is market rate for the car. I've never looked at a used vehicle and said "OMG, what a deal off list price". Have you?

·
Registered
799 Posts
In the end, the buyer is paying what he should feel is market rate for the car. I've never looked at a used vehicle and said "OMG, what a deal off list price". Have you?
I disagree. A buyer who isn't quite familiar with 4Cs might compare that car with another one for sale at a similar price, with a much lower original sticker, and not unreasonably infer that the car with the $100k base price is much superior to the one with the $65k base price, in some way. And yes the sticker says what it says, but emphasizing the number in the ad's headline is very unethical in my view.

·
Super Moderator
15,653 Posts
I disagree. A buyer who isn't quite familiar with 4Cs might compare that car with another one for sale at a similar price, with a much lower original sticker, and not unreasonably infer that the car with the $100k base price is much superior to the one with the $65k base price, in some way. And yes the sticker says what it says, but emphasizing the number in the ad's headline is very unethical in my view.
Perhaps. But I don’t see the 4C consumer being that uneducated.
There are basically 5 model years of two cars - coupe and spider - with next to no options (not that options enter into that base sticker anyway).

I’ve honestly never looked at list price when buying a used car. And I buy lots of them. Very seldom have I even seen it even listed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts