Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am going to do all fastener tightening next March with oil change. I have 2500 miles on the 4c now. I am going to get screwed literally from the quote. 2100 including both major and minor fastener adjustments along with oil change. Dealer is an Alfa Maserati dealership who also sells McLarens and Ferrari. Technically very good compared to the other closer Alfa dealer when i inquired about oil change there, service manager said. Ummm yea. Dont see many of these. What annoys the crap out of me is is supposed to be done at 12k. And minor every other oil change. They all seem to think it needs to be done at the first 1k.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am going to do all fastener tightening next March with oil change. I have 2500 miles on the 4c now. I am going to get screwed literally from the quote. 2100 including both major and minor fastener adjustments along with oil change. Dealer is an Alfa Maserati dealership who also sells McLarens and Ferrari. Technically very good compared to the other closer Alfa dealer when i inquired about oil change there, service manager said. Ummm yea. Dont see many of these. What annoys the crap out of me is is supposed to be done at 12k. And minor every other oil change. They all seem to think it needs to be done at the first 1k.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
why do it at 2500 miles??? The general idea is that only when you hit 12k miles is this needed:huh:
I have 3k on mine and wouldn't think of doing it.
I only drive mine around 1500-2000 miles a year so im thinking this will possibly be the next owners problem for me

·
Registered
71 Posts
why do it at 2500 miles??? The general idea is that only when you hit 12k miles is this needed:huh:

I have 3k on mine and wouldn't think of doing it.

I only drive mine around 1500-2000 miles a year so im thinking this will possibly be the next owners problem for me
I agree and will cancel that service. I might just do the suspension one... i only do 2k a year max. I did have a slight squeak when going over slight inclines now. May have had it from the purchase and just noticed it. Coming from front maybe dash or front end? Anybody else?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
So I *just* got off the phone with the AR canada customer care people. They told me that the bolt tightening service MUST be done at whichever occurs first. Time or distance. They cautioned me that not doing it at the first milestone could very likely be used in the future to deny warranty claims. I said I have less than 5000kms on the car. They said it didn’t matter from a legal/ warranty perspective.
FWIW....

·
Super Moderator
13,712 Posts
So I *just* got off the phone with the AR canada customer care people. They told me that the bolt tightening service MUST be done at whichever occurs first. Time or distance. They cautioned me that not doing it at the first milestone could very likely be used in the future to deny warranty claims. I said I have less than 5000kms on the car. They said it didn’t matter from a legal/ warranty perspective.
FWIW....
I'd tell them that your lawyer asked to see that advice in writing, with the name, title, and signature of the person giving it.
Otherwise, his advice to you is that it is null and void.

We don't have the protective legislation up here that they do in the USA, but I'm pretty sure that this won't fly.

However, it could also be that they are worried enough about potential issues that they want to make sure that every car gets done. This would be a suitable way to do so without raising a general alarm. Just raise the ire of owners instead!

Goodness knows, Mario wasn't too great with an alignment bench. Perhaps the torque wrench she a notta worka alla the time either!

·
Registered
945 Posts
FWIW....
I'd tell them that your lawyer asked to see that advice in writing, with the name, title, and signature of the person giving it.
Otherwise, his advice to you is that it is null and void.

We don't have the protective legislation up here that they do in the USA, but I'm pretty sure that this won't fly.

However, it could also be that they are worried enough about potential issues that they want to make sure that every car gets done. This would be a suitable way to do so without raising a general alarm. Just raise the ire of owners instead!

Goodness knows, Mario wasn't too great with an alignment bench. Perhaps the torque wrench she a notta worka alla the time either!
So what do we do if we don’t do the bolt service and they claim it caused problems? You could get a lawyer etc but I’ve been down that road before (bad divorce- not automotive) and it costs a fortune with uncertain results.
I guess their threats work on me. Lol. Bolt service coming up this year.

·
Super Moderator
13,712 Posts
So what do we do if we don’t do the bolt service and they claim it caused problems? You could get a lawyer etc but I’ve been down that road before (bad divorce- not automotive) and it costs a fortune with uncertain results.
Yeah, my post above was just calling their bluff - for sure the manufacturer holds all of the marbles with respect to warranty repair, and going legal against an OEM is seldom economically feasible for a single owner. Class actions have enough difficulty in that regard.

The manual clearly says "the sooner of", and although that might be a catch-all phrase they will win on that every time.

Yes, you could follow others' advice and claim to have done the work yourself - but that will still entail a fight should a subsequent and related warranty claim arise as you will shoulder the burden of proof and there will be a reticence on the part of Alfa Romeo to pay out a warranty claim. Especially if they know you are lying. Most especially since you also took the service work away from the dealership whom you are now asking to fight in your corner against corporate on the claim!

But once it's been done properly for the first time (to ensure nothing was left loose), it's a matter of how comfortable you are with leaving it beyond the recommended period for subsequent iterations of this service. It's very much like "insurance" - you can buy as little or as much as you feel good about. But at least you will (after the first tightening) be confident that you are working from a good starting point.

That's my thought on the matter, anyway.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yeah, my post above was just calling their bluff - for sure the manufacturer holds all of the marbles with respect to warranty repair, and going legal against an OEM is seldom economically feasible for a single owner. Class actions have enough difficulty in that regard.

The manual clearly says "the sooner of", and although that might be a catch-all phrase they will win on that every time.

Yes, you could follow others' advice and claim to have done the work yourself - but that will still entail a fight should a subsequent and related warranty claim arise as you will shoulder the burden of proof and there will be a reticence on the part of Alfa Romeo to pay out a warranty claim. Especially if they know you are lying. Most especially since you also took the service work away from the dealership whom you are now asking to fight in your corner against corporate on the claim!

But once it's been done properly for the first time (to ensure nothing was left loose), it's a matter of how comfortable you are with leaving it beyond the recommended period for subsequent iterations of this service. It's very much like "insurance" - you can buy as little or as much as you feel good about. But at least you will (after the first tightening) be confident that you are working from a good starting point.

That's my thought on the matter, anyway.
Totally agree on all points.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same issue as you with respect to low mileage and the first annual bolt tightening.

I had an oil change performed when I took it from winter storage and told them I would do the bolt tightening when the car was one year old. Upon asking about the bolt tightening really needing to be done when the car only had around 2,000 kms on it I was told that if I didn't do it, if there were any warrantee claims later on, I would have to get the bolt tightening done before they would look at the car for any warrantee work.

This isn't exactly what was said in the previous post, however I'm not sure if we as owners could really fight Alfa Romeo Canada should any issues arise and the bolt tightening wasn't done at the right time.

Given the nature of this car with its Italian heritage and build quality, it is probably prudent to fall in line with what the dealers say. As there was also a bolt in the interior of the car that probably came off the passenger side foot rest - I decided to bite the bullet and go with what the dealer "advised" - if the foot rest bolt could come off with the car only having had maybe 5 trips and short ones at that with a passenger in it, goodness knows how the other bolts and fasteners would be holding up!!!

BTW - I think they put in Denis' ( mid life crisis) bolt in my car and mine in his as they said they couldn't find my bolt at first and then found it later !!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Common sense would dictate what a majority have said here. Bolt tightening based on mileage or excess track usage. But the issue with future warranty issues lies with Alfa. I'm scheduled to go in this tues for JUST the oil change. I'm going to discuss it with them face to face.
What a PIA.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Common sense would dictate what a majority have said here. Bolt tightening based on mileage or excess track usage. But the issue with future warranty issues lies with Alfa. I'm scheduled to go in this tues for JUST the oil change. I'm going to discuss it with them face to face.
What a PIA.

There hasn’t been a single warranty claim denied because the bolt tightening was done at 12k miles rather than after a year.

You ask too many questions, you’re just opening yourself up. But if you feel the need to ask, ask the tech and NOT the service advisor. That’s what I did when I originally inquired about it, and the tech said right in front of the service advisor to do it at 12k miles. The advisor wasn’t going to go against what the trained tech says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,712 Posts
There hasn’t been a single warranty claim denied because the bolt tightening was done at 12k miles rather than after a year.

You ask too many questions, you’re just opening yourself up. But if you feel the need to ask, ask the tech and NOT the service advisor. That’s what I did when I originally inquired about it, and the tech said right in front of the service advisor to do it at 12k miles. The advisor wasn’t going to go against what the trained tech says.
However, it is not the tech who would approve or deny your warranty claim, shoud one ever occur.

I don’t think that there is a big issue either. But that’s an individual’s risk/benefit balance.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
However, it is not the tech who would approve or deny your warranty claim, shoud one ever occur.

I don’t think that there is a big issue either. But that’s an individual’s risk/benefit balance.

No but if he’s addressing it in front of the service advisor and the advisor agrees, then that’s that.

·
Super Moderator
13,712 Posts
No but if he’s addressing it in front of the service advisor and the advisor agrees, then that’s that.
Never say never.
One or both guys leave the dealership...
One of them reneges on what is only verbal advice, or remembers the conversation differently...
Corporate rep audits the warranty claim and overrules them...

Still, the likelihood of an associated warranty claim happening to a car (during the 4 year warranty period) that is driven so infrequently so as to raise this question, is slim to nil.
Extended warranty to 7 years, and perhaps. But by then it will have gone through a bolt tightening for sure anyway.

You're still playing the odds, but they are heavily in your favour.

·
Registered
625 Posts

You seriously believe your statement? Most dealerships utilize an outside corporate individual whose job is to accept or deny dealership inquiries into warranty repairs. If the dealership decides to warranty an item or repair and not get pre-approval .... it's on THEM. Warranty repairs are not up to the dealership. It's up to Corporate.

As I said previously .... common sense dictates what everyone here (including yourself) has said. Bolt tightening should be based on mileage ... not time. But what you, me, the tech, service advisor or this entire forum believes carries no weight with mandated Corporate FCA policies regarding 4C warranty schedules.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You seriously believe your statement? Most dealerships utilize an outside corporate individual whose job is to accept or deny dealership inquiries into warranty repairs. If the dealership decides to warranty an item or repair and not get pre-approval .... it's on THEM. Warranty repairs are not up to the dealership. It's up to Corporate.

As I said previously .... common sense dictates what everyone here (including yourself) has said. Bolt tightening should be based on mileage ... not time. But what you, me, the tech, service advisor or this entire forum believes carries no weight with mandated Corporate FCA policies regarding 4C warranty schedules.

This really isn’t that big a deal. But everyone should do what they’re comfortable with.

I was told by both the tech, and service advisor at 2 different dealerships (because a new dealership took over the brand locally) to do it at 12k miles. Nobody’s going to void the warranty for doing so, it’s just not going to happen.

I’ve had a few things done under warranty. Full dash replacement, and a front shock replaced being the 2 major things. Both done well after the 1 year mark from when my car was originally purchased (I’m the 2nd owner). But I’m also only at 8200 miles currently, May will be 3 years from original purchase date. There was no issue getting these claims done. And they have no record of any bolt tightening being done so far.

So yeah, I’m not too worried about it and plan to have the bolt tightening done at my next annual service next fall, when I’ll be in the 11k-12k range. I also plan to purchase an extended warranty for an additional 4 years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had the service done for this for the first time at 13,500 km (mine is a 2016 4c spider).

It was done in London Alfa Maserati and was 550 CAD. I thought that was pretty good considering what I have read about.

They didn't find anything - but I'm not easy on the car (track it) and our roads are terrible so it got a lot of vibration so figured might as well do it.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts